USA-Canada 4K Scenario

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Mackerel
Engineer
Engineer

Re: USA-Canada 4K Scenario

Post by Mackerel »

Hi NekoMaster,

Please pardon that I posted similarly in the NAIS thread. This scenario is great for me, up to the point where all the secondary industries I haven't yet serviced begins dying very quickly. I thought using some AIs (NoNoCAB) might help keep things vibrant, but they don't seem to want to do anything. :cry: I really want to enjoy this map, so how can I keep tons of secondary industries from dying in the span of a few years (is there a setting I've perhaps overlooked?)? I seem to be missing something as nobody else has raised this issue (please pardon my newbishness)
heycitizen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by heycitizen »

Hi all, just wanted to share some changes that I've made to the map.

New York:
- Renamed Manhatten -> Manhattan

Quebec/Ontario/Vermont:
- Sank the St-Lawrence river, Lake Ontario and Lake Champlain 1 tile (moving the falls from Québec city to Niagra Falls.)
Niagra-Falls.png
Niagra-Falls.png (121.54 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
- Trois-Rivières (Three-Rivers) now has the St-Maurice river which has three mouths at the Saint Lawrence River (it is divided by two islands in the river.)
- Refactored Montreal's rivers to be more realistic (Milles-Iles and Praires rivers as well as Lachine canal.)
- Added Rideau and Gatineau rivers to Ottawa and sank the Ottawa river until Chat Falls hydroelectric dam.

British Columbia:
- Slightly moved Victoria, BC eastward
- Labeled the northern and southern gulf islands, as well as Texada and Salt-Spring islands
- added the missing northern gulf islands near Texada
- added Powell River, BC
Attachments
USA-CANADA 4K - 1950 TOWNS ONLY - HeyCitizen.scn
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 162 times
montreal.png
montreal.png (144.88 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
KateNewbee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KateNewbee »

Hey, I'm trying to load the scenario but the whole map is full of water. Can some help? How do I start? Thanks! :D
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

KateNewbee wrote: 09 Oct 2020 09:13 Hey, I'm trying to load the scenario but the whole map is full of water. Can some help? How do I start? Thanks! :D
Assuming you are using Windows 10 ...
Go to your "This PC" folder
Open the "Documents" folder
Open the "OpenTTD" folder
Open the "scenario" folder.
The path in the File Explorer address bar should be \Users\User\Documents\OpenTTD\scenario or This PC>Documents>OpenTTD>scenario
Make sure your scenario is there.

NOTE: OpenTTD has a second "scenario" folder that is in the "content_download" folder. DO NOT USE THAT FOLDER.
KateNewbee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KateNewbee »

wallyweb wrote: 09 Oct 2020 09:45
KateNewbee wrote: 09 Oct 2020 09:13 Hey, I'm trying to load the scenario but the whole map is full of water. Can some help? How do I start? Thanks! :D
Assuming you are using Windows 10 ...
Go to your "This PC" folder
Open the "Documents" folder
Open the "OpenTTD" folder
Open the "scenario" folder.
The path in the File Explorer address bar should be \Users\User\Documents\OpenTTD\scenario or This PC>Documents>OpenTTD>scenario
Make sure your scenario is there.

NOTE: OpenTTD has a second "scenario" folder that is in the "content_download" folder. DO NOT USE THAT FOLDER.
I've tried that but it didn't help. I've cut the "scenario" folder from "content_download" and paste it into the "OpenTTD" folder. It still load a map that is full of water with some text at the center... ?(

Thanks!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

KateNewbee wrote: 09 Oct 2020 22:33 I've tried that but it didn't help. I've cut the "scenario" folder from "content_download" and paste it into the "OpenTTD" folder. It still load a map that is full of water with some text at the center... ?(
Does this happen when you select "Play Scenario"?
You should see a pop up menu that shows all the scenarios in the folder.

Also, what was that text you saw?
KateNewbee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KateNewbee »

wallyweb wrote: 09 Oct 2020 22:50
KateNewbee wrote: 09 Oct 2020 22:33 I've tried that but it didn't help. I've cut the "scenario" folder from "content_download" and paste it into the "OpenTTD" folder. It still load a map that is full of water with some text at the center... ?(

Yes, I press "Play Scenario" and I get this:

It happens with a few others as well, about half the scenarios I've downloaded do this. Maybe there are a few install steps that I don't know about?
THANKS!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

KateNewbee wrote: 09 Oct 2020 23:48 It happens with a few others as well, about half the scenarios I've downloaded do this. Maybe there are a few install steps that I don't know about?
THANKS!
Interesting. That message seems to indicate that the scenario is seen by your system. What is your operating system?
KateNewbee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KateNewbee »

wallyweb wrote: 10 Oct 2020 00:57
KateNewbee wrote: 09 Oct 2020 23:48 It happens with a few others as well, about half the scenarios I've downloaded do this. Maybe there are a few install steps that I don't know about?
THANKS!
Interesting. That message seems to indicate that the scenario is seen by your system. What is your operating system?
Windows 10, I'm using 64 bit OpenTTD
Thank you!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

KateNewbee wrote: 10 Oct 2020 01:09 ...
I'm at a loss as why this is happening. Sorry. :(
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

KateNewbee wrote: 09 Oct 2020 23:48 Yes, I press "Play Scenario" and I get this:

It happens with a few others as well, about half the scenarios I've downloaded do this. Maybe there are a few install steps that I don't know about?
THANKS!
Fear not, nothing is broken!

This is a common technique used by scenario developers, especially on large maps. What you are seeing is a "Welcome" screen that is intentionally placed far away from the rest of the content on the map so that the text doesn't interfere with the game play. This screen is way out in a huge body of water, where you're never going to be sending any vehicles.

To get back to land, easiest thing to do is to go to your Town Directory list and pick a town. You'll jump back over to the land.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

KateNewbee wrote: 09 Oct 2020 23:48
wallyweb wrote: 09 Oct 2020 22:50

Yes, I press "Play Scenario" and I get this:

THANKS!
Yeah like Kament mentioned above me, me and other scenario developers put a little message like this in the corner of the map so that you see it first thing when you start.

Just zoom out, open the world map, or use the town or industry lists to click on something to get you to land.

As far as I know if a scenario was broken, it wouldn't even load and give you a error message on the scenario loading menu like "CORRUPTED SAVE FILE" or something like that.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
KateNewbee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KateNewbee »

kamnet wrote: 10 Oct 2020 05:23
KateNewbee wrote: 09 Oct 2020 23:48 Yes, I press "Play Scenario" and I get this:

THANKS!
Fear not, nothing is broken!

This is a common technique used by scenario developers, especially on large maps. What you are seeing is a "Welcome" screen that is intentionally placed far away from the rest of the content on the map so that the text doesn't interfere with the game play. This screen is way out in a huge body of water, where you're never going to be sending any vehicles.

To get back to land, easiest thing to do is to go to your Town Directory list and pick a town. You'll jump back over to the land.
THANK YOU! It worked!
Mackerel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mackerel »

Mackerel wrote: 05 Jan 2020 22:00 Hi NekoMaster,

Please pardon that I posted similarly in the NAIS thread. This scenario is great for me, up to the point where all the secondary industries I haven't yet serviced begins dying very quickly. I thought using some AIs (NoNoCAB) might help keep things vibrant, but they don't seem to want to do anything. :cry: I really want to enjoy this map, so how can I keep tons of secondary industries from dying in the span of a few years (is there a setting I've perhaps overlooked?)? I seem to be missing something as nobody else has raised this issue (please pardon my newbishness)
I'd still be super thankful if anyone might know the answer/solution to this problem :oops: :bow:
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Simply turn off this behavior in the NAIS parameters
bigyihsuan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bigyihsuan »

I made a version with all industries removed, if you want to play with FIRS or other industry GRFs.

EDIT: forgot to mention that this was made in JGRPP 0.39.1

EDIT 2: Added a version made in vanilla OpenTTD v1.10.3
Attachments
4k USA - Cleaned.scn
No Industries version of the Vanilla Industries scenario, JGRPP 0.39.1
(13.46 MiB) Downloaded 99 times
4k USA - Cleaned - Vanilla.scn
No Industries version of the Vanilla Industries scenario, vanilla 1.10.3
(15.75 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

:bow: Thank You! :bow:
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

bigyihsuan wrote: 09 Jan 2021 18:48 I made a version with all industries removed, if you want to play with FIRS or other industry GRFs.

EDIT: forgot to mention that this was made in JGRPP 0.39.1

EDIT 2: Added a version made in vanilla OpenTTD v1.10.3
rbos86 wrote: 10 Jan 2021 10:19 :bow: Thank You! :bow:
you and rbos86 should know theres already a "No Industry" version in the first post of this thread, the first version of the scenario is a "TOWN ONLY" version with no industry grf's loaded. I made that version so that players that have the developer options in their "openttd.cfg" enabeld could modify the scenario and add their own industries should they wish.

I would go with that version instead since its not tainted by any "garbage" left behind by a industry GRF in the save/scenario file.

Just incase you guys are a bit too lazy to goto the very first post :) Heres a link to the FIRST POST of the thread

(Or if you guys don't believe me or are extreamly lazy : Heres a link to the "USA-Canada 4K TOWN ONLY" File)

PS: I"m not upset or anything, I just find it a bit silly that nobody checked the first post of the thread for the "town only" version :)
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

I'm just since a week into your scenario, I was thanking for the OpenTTD 1.10.3 version of the map.
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

rbos86 wrote: 15 Jan 2021 20:16 I'm just since a week into your scenario, I was thanking for the OpenTTD 1.10.3 version of the map.
You do know that scenarios and saved games made with older versions can be loaded in later versions of OpenTTD? The only time you might run into issues is when your loading REALLY old stuff from like, pre-OpenTTD v1.0.0 days.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”