[OTTD] Netherlands scenario and save game

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Loek
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] Netherlands scenario and save game

Post by Loek »

I had a couple of weeks without a job and thought to spend some of my time working on simulating the Dutch railway system in OpenTTD and put in the 2018 time table.

The scenario is the Netherlands map with nearly all of the city's with a train station in there (I forgot a couple, as I discovered when creating the save game later on).

For the save game I used some cheats to make it possible. It took me some time to devise a way to get the correct time tables in there, calculated from the real life time tables as used by the Dutch rail companies (wrote the bash script for that). Credit goes to somda.nl for supplying a very copy-pasteable schedule for trains in the Netherlands. Also their spot database helped me pick the correct trains for the lines. There are a couple of trains missing from the Dutch Trainset newgrf, I put in alternatives with similar looks. I put in most of track layout in as it is in real life, though I had to improvise in several cases to get the timetables to work correctly.

Some of the things I feel I could still do to perfect the simulation are:
- rename all the trains to their actual real live serial number, instead of just a random number from their series
- learn to make newgrf and help expand the Dutch Trainset to include the newest models
- revisit the track layout and possibly still find and fix some inconsistencies
- also include cargo tracks like Betuwelijn, Kijfhoek and others
- include the steam lines that are being operated

When you start the save game (after you've collected all the required newgrf files), it'll start running the 2018 time table, for each real life 60 minutes, 270 in game days will pass. It will take several in game years before all trains are actually on track, because some of the schedules take well over 2000 days on their full turn around.

Hope you like it. Comments and feedback are welcome.
Attachments
NS HR, 2017-01-02.scn
Scenario for the Netherlands.
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 343 times
NS HR, 2018-01-01.sav
Save game with all trains ready to start.
(2.49 MiB) Downloaded 357 times
calcdates.sh.txt
Bash script to calculate the time tables.
(12.46 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Loek
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Netherlands scenario and save game

Post by Loek »

Here are some screen shots from a running save game.
Attachments
NS HR 2026-06-27.png
(77.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
NS HR 2026-08-01.png
(1.32 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”