Help with download/generating height maps from satellite/DEM data

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Help with download/generating height maps from satellite/DEM data

Post by NekoMaster »

I know theres a guide kicking around somewhere that's suppose to help people get the DEM data and some how turn it into a height map, but I think its broken as you can't see anything on Google Earth or download DEM data.

I've tried looking all over the internet to get DEM or other satellite data to generate my own height maps of countries, but I can never figure out anything.

Could someone please help me make my own height maps so I can make realistic scenarios of countries like my homeland Canada.

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit just so you guys know, so some really old programs might not work with Windows 10.

There really needs to be an up to date guide on this stuff.

EDIT : I'd like to mention that I'm a total noob with this kind of stuff, so bare with me if I can't figure out how to find things on my own. I've already scoured the internet for answers and got nothing I could figure out.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Help with download/generating height maps from satellite/DEM data

Post by NekoMaster »

I'd like to mention that MicroDEM doesnt seem to work anymore, as when I try to open a DEM file it asks for other files I don't have or know where to get/what to do with, and then it gives me an access violation when it can't find these files.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

I used this website for the satellite data. http://dwtkns.com/srtm/ its files work perfectly with microdem. When opening microdem, say cancel to every file you have to open, and download to every file it asks you to DL. It worked for me.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Erato wrote:I used this website for the satellite data. http://dwtkns.com/srtm/ its files work perfectly with microdem. When opening microdem, say cancel to every file you have to open, and download to every file it asks you to DL. It worked for me.
Where would I download and place the files MicroDEM wants? It wont show anything without those files.

At least for now I was able to download GeoTIFF files from USGS Earth Explorer and now I'm working on touching up a 2048x2048 size map of Canada for my first proper Canada scenario.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

NekoMaster wrote:
Erato wrote:I used this website for the satellite data. http://dwtkns.com/srtm/ its files work perfectly with microdem. When opening microdem, say cancel to every file you have to open, and download to every file it asks you to DL. It worked for me.
Where would I download and place the files MicroDEM wants? It wont show anything without those files.

At least for now I was able to download GeoTIFF files from USGS Earth Explorer and now I'm working on touching up a 2048x2048 size map of Canada for my first proper Canada scenario.
In my case opening MD goes like this:
Open vector map name => cancel
Confirm => Yes
FW Tools => Cancel
gdal_tl.exe => cancel
gdalwarp.exe => cancel
ogr2ogr.exe => cancel
DL color palettes => YES
DL md_update_31 => YES

Then you get this:
An empty screen

You go to File, click Open, then choose Open DEMS and merge. I then select the .tif files. of (in this case Spain), and I get this:
It refuses to open if I select .hdr or .tfw files instead, it indeed asks for files that don't exist.

I can now do Right-click display parameters, elevation & set it to grayscale, get a higher resolution, and then export it as .bmp

Just make sure to select the .tif files.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
benasaur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by benasaur »

Thank you for this. I decided to come back after years and years and try to restart my heightmap project. This helped me a lot!

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”