[OTTD] Scenario: Île de la Réunion

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
kakapo
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] Scenario: Île de la Réunion

Post by kakapo »

Hey there,

I have been working recently on a new scenario, based on a true 1024x1024 heightmap of Réunion.

Réunion is an island, region of France, located in the South West part of the Indian Ocean and with a population of about 850,000. About 63km long and 45km wide, Réunion has a very active shield volcano, the Piton de la Fournaise, which rises at more than 2630m above the sea level. The topography of the island is very interesting, with three collapsed calderas surrounding the Piton des Neiges, an extinct volcano and the highest point of the island (3070m above sea level). Please read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9union#Geography for more details.

In the scenario, one tile represents a bit less than 100m x 100m in reality, while one step in altitude represents about 70m in reality. I placed the towns, trees and rivers based on maps and aerial/satellite pictures of the island. Population of towns are proportional to reality, but the extent of urban areas is generally is less it should be. As in reality, farms and fruit plantations in the scenario are located near the coast, while sugar cane plantations (represented by rubber plantations in the scenario) are in the mountainous areas. To have fun, I added some diamond and copper mines around the volcanic crater and at some other high points.

This is the first version of the scenario. I like a lot the realism of it, but i believe it still need some work for good gameplay. Yet, as it is now, I enjoy a lot to play with it, building a train-only network, no terraforming at all, realistic acceleration option, maximal slope steepness (10%) and some weight multiplier for freight.

This scenarios uses a few NewGRF.
  • OpenGFX+ Landscape for nice graphism; I enable the option "replace the transmitter tower by a rock" and I like using the "mossy gray stone" type of foundation;
  • OpenGFX Trees for nice trees;
  • Tropic Refurbishment Set, because I like this train set;
  • Manual Industries II, for preventing closure of industries.
Of course, you can remove all of them and play with your own list if you like. I like to add the Swedish Rails, the Bigger Train Depot and many other eyecandy NewGRF.

Have fun!
Ile_de_la_reunion-2016-07-26.scn
(383 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Ile_de_la_reunion-2016-07-26-minimap.png
Ile_de_la_reunion-2016-07-26-minimap.png (36.81 KiB) Viewed 2040 times

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”