Scenarios by Timeflyer.....Overview / plans / designs

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Scenarios by Timeflyer.....Overview / plans / designs

Post by Leanden »

I would definitely love to play your channel scenario. I havent seen a scenario before that focuses on that area of the map.
Timeflyer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Timeflyer »

Leanden wrote:I would definitely love to play your channel scenario. I havent seen a scenario before that focuses on that area of the map.
will further work on it today...hope it will be ready in two or three days.
Timeflyer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Timeflyer »

State of work at ChannelScenario:
Attachments
channelprev2.PNG
channelprev2.PNG (43.59 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Timeflyer wrote:State of work at ChannelScenario:
Looking really nice :)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

The Channel map looks awesome so far!
Timeflyer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Timeflyer »

Please test it!!!
Channel 1.0

Preview:

Size: 1024x1024
Temperate Climate
Only Cities, few greater Rivers
No Industries.
created with Stable 1.5.3

NewGrf:
Attachments
channel1.0.png
channel1.0.png (46.39 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
ChannelNewGrf.PNG
ChannelNewGrf.PNG (6.57 KiB) Viewed 8550 times
Channel1.0.scn
(248.61 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Where is the rivers GRF from? I cant find it on the fruit store.

EDIT: Nevermind i found it, really nice map.
Timeflyer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Timeflyer »

Leanden wrote:Where is the rivers GRF from? I cant find it on the fruit store.

Thank you...do U think there have to be more cities ???
Anything missing ??
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Timeflyer wrote:

Anything missing ??
I would aim for a city density similar to how the Isle of Wight is on that map. Also i notice no industries so its a PAX/Mail only scenario at the moment :)
Timeflyer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Timeflyer »

This is how I actually create scenarios at first....with no Industry..
because....there are players which prefer ECS, FIRS or PIB...or only just OpenGFX+Industries with different settings.
You are able to load my Scenario and you are free to add as any Industry you want to, you prefer to...and so on.

Ok.... I could go and make marks on maps (buildings signs) just like: Powerstation Antwerpen, Oilplant Antwerpen, coilmining "XYZ" and so on...
But for this.....i have to dive deep into Google Maps for every city I`ve bulit in scenario...so ..it would last many many time to finish it.

But if there are english, belgian and french people...with better local knowledge....would be nic to get some advices, where Industrys have to build....to create a more realistic scenario
pAter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pAter »

Timeflyer wrote:This is how I actually create scenarios at first....with no Industry..
because....there are players which prefer ECS, FIRS or PIB...or only just OpenGFX+Industries with different settings.
You are able to load my Scenario and you are free to add as any Industry you want to, you prefer to...and so on.

Ok.... I could go and make marks on maps (buildings signs) just like: Powerstation Antwerpen, Oilplant Antwerpen, coilmining "XYZ" and so on...
But for this.....i have to dive deep into Google Maps for every city I`ve bulit in scenario...so ..it would last many many time to finish it.

But if there are english, belgian and french people...with better local knowledge....would be nic to get some advices, where Industrys have to build....to create a more realistic scenario
I have a lot of experience with the creation of various kinds of scenarios. I know the problem with the preferences of the players - one prefers FIRS, other just standard industries. First version of my scenario was manually created map with standard industries and some NewGRF. Any change NewGRFs could case error - for example, sometimes it was impossible to replace trains automatically.

Anyway - the second version I saved in text files (precisely - coordinates of any objects). Take a look at Reproducible map generation - this is great tool for import objects (like towns, rivers, rocks, lighthouses etc.) from specially formatted TXT files. So now, when I must change some NewGRF or just generate scenario in other climate, there's no problem with.

Furthermore, by this tool you can download txt file with coordinates of towns and cities for a specific area! Just type coordinates N, S, E & W and choose how many towns you want to have. The only problem is that you have a map rotated by 45 degrees...
By the same tool you can generate text file with rivers, which you previously drew for eg. in GIMP. Here's how it looks in my case:

(I'm using 'water image map to text file tool' for import national borders (rocks), signs and lighthouses too - by changing second parameter for any object.)

Take a look at my Poland scenario: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=74417 - I've made it by these tools. There's 3 versions and if I will want to make some major changes (for example, new Polish Building Set - there will be no way to change NewGRF only, you must place any town again), there will be no problems with that - just change NewGRF in main menu and generate map again. If I will want to change FIRS to v. 2.0 - I will just copy powerplants list from standard industries list and paste to FIRS list ;)

This solution is very forward-looking and I'm happy that I did it this way ;) I recommend it to you too.
Try my Map of Poland 1024x1024 scenario :)
Timeflyer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Timeflyer »

pAter wrote: The only problem is that you have a map rotated by 45 degrees...
That's not the only problem, that is the biggest of all in my Opinion,.
Take a look at my scenario....it it not rotated by 45 degrees..it has real direction!!!
pAter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pAter »

Timeflyer wrote:
pAter wrote: The only problem is that you have a map rotated by 45 degrees...
That's not the only problem, that is the biggest of all in my Opinion,.
Take a look at my scenario....it it not rotated by 45 degrees..it has real direction!!!
You don't understand - if you want to use these tools, you must have not-rotated heightmap, it must be like a real maps are (north at the top, not in the corner).

Here's my example:

Unfortunately, 'Town list downloader' divides the cities into their districts, but it's faster to delete them and increase city size than place all cities and towns on whole map manually.

Edit: I forgot I have one more patch applied in my compiled OpenTTD - minimum towns distance decreased to 1. So you'll get cities only, instead of cities and districts (they will be placed as signs).
Timeflyer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Timeflyer »

Again.....your north will be Nortwest in real .... don+t like to build maps like this !!!!
So....if there is a chance to use your "reallynicegimmicks".... so .... code them for 45° Degrees sided maps that really looks like REAL NORTH and real SOUTH !!!!

And.... sorry. but I always like it to place towns on my own...and many ohter things.
Feel free to use your gimmicks for your own....not my kind of thing..sorry!!!
pAter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pAter »

Chillout, your scenarios looks very nice and I just wanted to help you to save your time ;) Anyway, good luck :)
Timeflyer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Timeflyer »

Thanx...but i think: A good scenario isn't build quickly ..it has to take time!!!

one of my next trys:: Eire, Ireland....real direction (with some parts of western UK, Isle of Man)
Preview:

Scenario, Ireland, Eire, Keltish, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man
(just Tags, not more)
Attachments
eire.PNG
eire.PNG (32.77 KiB) Viewed 8331 times
Timeflyer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

New Heightmap: JAPAN 2048x1024

Post by Timeflyer »

New Heightmap:
JAPAN....... only Japan...without Korea, Taiwan and anything else (sorry, but some Isles are missing)
Size: 2048x1024
(available on Bananas too!)

If there are people who are interested in building up a real Japanese Scenario, take a look at: JAPAN SET 3.0

This is how a Japan Scenario could look like:

Attachments
Japanrelief.png
(52.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Japantown.PNG
Japantown.PNG (26.49 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Koelschlenny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Koelschlenny »

Timeflyer wrote:

Anything missing ??

Hi,
I had been wondering about one thing: Seeing that the sea is on sea level (haha), it is impossible to lower land and build tunnels under the sea. What would usually be a mere gadget becomes critical in this map, as it would be really nice if one could build the channel tunnel (rather than the channel bridge).

Could it be a workaround to raise the entire map by one level (it does not look like you are using all available height levels) and thereby have the sea at level 1 (rather than level 0) which would allow me to build the tunnel?

Never mind though if it means reworking the entire map.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

There is no sea at level 1.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”