[OTTD] Djursland (Denmark) Scenario

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Beastybeast
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] Djursland (Denmark) Scenario

Post by Beastybeast »

Hey, I've had this scenario on OpenTTD BaNaNaS for a little while, and after a large revision I decided that the map now deserved a proper post. So here goes.

The size is 512x512 tiles, starting date is Jan 1st 1930. I made the heightmap by finding a red/green topographical map of Djursland, and then converted it to greyscale in Photoshop with a few contrast adjustments. I manually shaped out Randers Fjord and placed some important lakes.

I tried placing all towns and cities in their real-world locations, but even with a rotated and tilted Google Earth for reference, I keep running into little inconsistencies. I plan to further revise the map, moving some towns around until I'm satisfied. But it's pretty dang close for now!

All real-world open pit dig sites are Coal Mines;
All real-world thermal plants are Power Stations;
Most real-world forests are represented;
Sawmills are in their real-world locations;
Farms dominate the landscape, Factories have been arbitrarily placed:
There are no Iron Ore Mines, Steel Mills, or Oil industries.

Most tiny towns have been pruned of their ridiculous "Olympic stadiums", though I'm sure I missed a bunch. Most towns have had their size/population manually adjusted to be more realistic.

(Town Growth Speed is set to normal. Accidents, disasters and plane crashes are turned off.)

Comments and constructive criticism very welcome - this is a work in progress! :)
beastdjurs007.jpg
(413.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BeastDjurs_0_0_7.scn
(210.92 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Jimbow
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [OTTD] Djursland (Denmark) Scenario

Post by Jimbow »

Nice to see a new danish scenario :D :P

Very good work with this map, it's clear that you have put a lot of work into making it. :)
Most of the cities seems to be placed correctly to me, but I'm not from that part of the country so the many of the villages are unknown for me.

A few comments:
I think you have placed way too many factories (56!). Placing 10-15 should be fine.
You could consider placing a oil refinery in Aarhus and Grenaa, and a few oil rigs in Kattegat.
And replacing some of the coal mines with iron ore mines, and place a few steelworks instead of factories would be possible.

It could be nice to use the FIRS industries, as it would make the gameplay more interesting, but of cause it would be a lot of work replacing all the industries.

I do have another comment, but this would require you to start all over:
The landscape seems to be too high, as cities along the coastline are placed a level 3 or 4 instead of level 1.

Hope you can use these comments. :)
Beastybeast
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beastybeast »

Thanks a lot for your comments!

I removed some factories, though I found it difficult to delete more than maybe ten or so. I also put up a couple oil rigs and refineries like you suggested!
Also removed some more 2x2 stadiums from tiny hamlets and expanded a few towns slightly.

You are absolutely right that the shoreline seems to be too high. I played around with the .PNG for the heightmap a lot in Photoshop, but whenever I got the coastline low enough, most features of the terrain would be smoothed out. Maybe one day I'll redo it all.

FIRS industries sounds like something I need to look into. Might make for an interesting alternate version.
BeastDjurs_0_0_8.scn
(210.84 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Jimbow
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jimbow »

I still think you could delete about half of the factories.

A good approach could be to make sure that the top 10-20 cities has a factory nearby.
From there you could have a look at the map, and place a few factories where the distance to the nearest factory is long.

A few more banks could be good :)

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”