[JGRPP] Birth of an Empire Scenario

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
kamnet

[JGRPP] Birth of an Empire Scenario

Post by kamnet »

Back in 2014 I created Birth of an Empire for the Spring 2013 Patch Pack. Unfortunately the patch pack has not been maintained well and consecutive upgrades have left me unable to play the scenario. JGR's Patch Pack allows for importing games and scenarios from Spring 2013 Patch Pack, and so I have imported and updated the scenario.

Birth of an Empire

The year is 1860, and you have just been handed the keys to a business opportunity. You, and possibly your business partners and rivals, have been given the task to bring prosperity to a rural region that missed out on the first Industrial Revolution, but is ready to be brought up to speed in time for the second wave.

The task will not be easy. Almost all of the towns in the region are small and have only the basics of a functional society. Some, but not all, of the towns are connected by some rough wagon routes, but most of the towns are isolated in the wilderness. There region mostly thrives on local agriculture. There are only a few basic primary industries established, and no secondary industries. You will need to carefully manage your money and resources, build out the infrastructure and invest in industries in order to make a profit.

But, there are profits to be had. The region is bountiful in all manner of natural resources. Once you are able to reach them, extract them and process them, your company will reap profits hand over fist. Are you skilled and capable enough to turn this rough and rugged region into a gleaming beacon of modern society? Are you ready to become a Transport Tycoon and a Master of Industry? Are you ready to pay the cost to be the boss?

The provided scenario is considered basic - it provides support for New RoadTypes and TramTypes (NRT), has basic vehicle support for NewGRF industries, and a small amount of eye candy to make the scenario look good. These files should not be removed. However, you may desire to enable other NewGRFs (such as vehicles, stations, and objects) to customize it as you see fit.

REQUIRED OPENTTD VERSION: This scenario is only compatible with JGR's Patch Pack v0.37 or newer in order to take advantage of the many features available in this patch pack. You will also need to enable the scenario editor if you wish to add NewGRFs. Please see the noted previous and continual warnings regarding changing NewGRFs.

Required NewGRFs should not be removed. Older or newer versions of these sets may be substituted if OpenTTD recognizes them as compatible NewGRFs - WITH THE EXCEPTION of FIRS 2.0 betas (do not upgrade!) . Optional NewGRFs were included for aesthetic purposes and can likely be removed or replaced without causing a corruption in the scenario. Adding new NewGRFs should not present any issues, however CHANGING OR REMOVING NEWGRFS MAY CREATE A PERMANENTLY CORRUPTED GAME! It is advised that you be very selective in which NewGRFs you choose to add. Adding vehicle NewGRFs (trains, planes, road vehicles and ships) may alter the economy of purchasing and selling vehicles, and removing them may not reset the default settings. I intentionally chose an early start date of 1860 in order to take advantage of NewGRF sets which have early vehicles. However, feel free to include the NewGRFs you want and change the date if necessary.

All of these NewGRFs should be available either via the in-game content download system (BaNaNas). If you cannot locate one, however, please do not post here, instead send me a PM. I will help you locate the missing file and then update the post here with a link.

This scenario is being released completely untested. After working on it for months, it has reached a point where I am ready to put it out there and see what people think. I mostly created it just to see how nice of a sandbox landscape I can create. I have no idea if this will be too difficult to master, maybe I don't have enough infrastructure to make it possible to be competitive, maybe it's too easy at this point, maybe I need to add some NewGRFs. I just don't know what will happen, but we shall find out, won't we? :wink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historical Releases & Changelog
Version 2 for JGR's Patch Pack - Released October 7, 2020
Version 1 for JGR's Patch Pack - Released November 1, 2015
Version 1 for Spring 2013 Patch Pack - Released June 18, 2014
Last edited by kamnet on 02 Nov 2015 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
kamnet

[JGRPP] Birth of an Empire Scenario Template

Post by kamnet »

Version 1 for JGR's Patch Pack - Released November 1, 2015

Birth of an Empire has been imported for use in JGR's Patch Pack version 0.3 and newer. It is based on a newer nightly release of OpenTTD and offers new features for NewGRFs to take advantage of.

The scenario remains unchanged from the original version for Spring Patch Pack 2013. There have been a few changes in NewGRFs:
  • FIRS 1.3.0 updated to FIRS 1.4.4M. This will be the last release for FIRS 1.x. FIRS 2.0 will be compatible with JGR's Patch Pack, but it is not save game compatible and upgrading to 2.0 will break this scenario. Please use the in-game content download service to obtain and download FIRS 1.4.4M if you do not already have it.
  • OpenGFX+ Landscape 1.0.1 updated to 1.1.2. No new features or additional changes.
  • North American Road Set replaced by American Road Replacement Set. NA Roads is no longer published or updated, and the roads were not compatible with OpenGFX graphics. ARRS has its own dirt roads and is OpenGFX compatible, and is currently supported by its author and available from the in-game content download service. There are also NewGRF Object sets and bridge sets which can be used with it.
Attachments
birth-of-an-empire-v1-jgrpp-2015-11-01.scn
(7.02 MiB) Downloaded 284 times
kamnet

[JGRPP] Birth of an Empire Scenario v2

Post by kamnet »

Version 2 for JGR's Patch Pack - Released October 8, 2020

It's been awhile since there's been an update, and a lot of things have changed in OpenTTD and JGRPP that the scenario doesn't take advantage of. Here's what's different.
  • NewGRFs not found via in-game content download service have been removed.
  • Updating of most house/building sets to "Early Mod" versions
  • Addition of OpenGFX+ Trains, OpenGFX+Road Vehicles, Rangeless AV8 (RAV8) and FISH in order to provide vehicles with NewGRF cargo support
  • Change in road set from American Road Replacement Set (AARS) to RattRoads, as this is the new, NRT-enabled version that is being supported by the author
  • Addition of 2CC Trams and 2CC Cargo Trams, because I feel like promoting my own projects ;)
Attachments
birth-of-an-empire-v2-2020-10-08.scn
(7.73 MiB) Downloaded 174 times
kamnet

[JGRPP] Birth of an Empire Scenario v3

Post by kamnet »

So we're now at Version 3, because as somebody on Reddit pointed out, I didn't bother to check vehicles to make sure they would run in 1860. DOH.

So, I included some. And a crapload of other stuff since, hey, let's take advantage of JGR patches plus the wonderful updates of OpenTTD 1.10.0.

If you don't like them, feel free to replace them. Particularly, I left out some of the NRT-enabled vehicle sets because they're not available from in-game content download, such as the unofficial NRT-enabled version of Road Hog or HEQS, etc. You can find those on the forums or the OpenTTD Wiki's NewGRF List.
Attachments
birth-of-an-empire-v3-2020-10-12.scn
(7.76 MiB) Downloaded 338 times
kyfami
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [JGRPP] Birth of an Empire Scenario

Post by kyfami »

I was curious if you could link Docklands 1.0.1 and Suspended Monorail 2.0.2. Found old versions in the post history, however I was unable to get the scenario to accept the obsolete versions. Thank you for your time!
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Why isn't version 3 on Bananas?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Argus wrote: 11 Jan 2021 13:39 Why isn't version 3 on Bananas?
Because of a problem with Suspended Monorails, which also isn't on Bananas yet. Once we get those fixed and up then I'll probably put this on bananas.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”