Island Scenario

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Island Scenario

Post by Buragan »

So.

I finally took some time to create a quick scenario since my main project has become very boring. The result was a 512x256 map named 'Islands' - mostly because it features islands! The general premise behind it was to create a small scenario which is neither overly difficult nor overly easy. Industry consists mostly of forestry and farming (stemming from a pair of forests on one island and a combination of farms and fishing grounds). But, rather than type endlessly about it, I've included a savegame (of some light playing whilst I was mucking around on the computer) and the actual .scn file. There are also a few screenshots!

Nonwood Island
The location of a quarry and fishing port.

Dadingworth Island
The location of two farms.

Point Atoll
The location of a dredging site and two grain mills.

Unnamed Island
The location of a pair of forests and an iron ore mine.

Unnamed Island
The main island, located to the west of the map. This is the site of the main secondary industries (oil refinery, steel mill, etc). Unfortunately it is completely covered in trees - a feature I had not intended, but I had left the scenario editor on double speed whilst I went for lunch and uh.. Saved the game when coming back without checking!

My Beautiful Port
My baby <3

I'd like some feedback one what to add/remove etc. I found it rather easy to create a massive income from shipping wood to my port then to a sawmill in the south of the main island (although the trains did make a loss for themselves, the overall income outweighed that). Additionally, when I did the quick game as Nonwood Transport, I completely ignored the Atoll and two islands to the north of the map, so I'm thinking of having less farms on the main island so that they retain their importance. Thoughts?

Additionally:

http://www.ttdpatch.de/download.html - for the Maritime Collection GRFs.
http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/nig ... rs.tar.zip - FIRS. This is not the standard FIRS release.
Attachments
Islands.scn
(67.13 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Nonwood Transport, 19th Jul 1935.sav
(82.81 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Last edited by Buragan on 26 Aug 2015 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Re: Island Scenario

Post by Dave »

There's a whole sub forum for this...

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewforum.php?f=60

I've asked one of the other mods to move it for you.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Buragan »

Heh, it appears I'm blind. Thanks!
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Code: Select all

dbg: [grf] NewGRF F1250005 (firs\firs.grf) not found; checksum 84AE0D0D81A55F759D08B73D0C9CDB14
dbg: [grf] NewGRF 6D620C00 (marico.grf) not found; checksum 79F501FF2571BBC7E0713E3E86F513FB
dbg: [grf] NewGRF 6D620004 (newships.grf) not found; checksum 663C139E24EE87C2EF6FB029C1AB3CED
you are using NewGRFs that are not at Bananas. I can see why marico isn't there, but the others I don't understand, in particular firs/firs.grf. Are you using some custom build?
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

newships isn't there for the same reason that marico is. (PS: i don't actually understand the reason. can you enlighten me?)
Dave

Post by Dave »

I understand they're both released by Michael Blunck who doesn't put his GRFs on Banananananas?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Dave wrote:I understand they're both released by Michael Blunck who doesn't put his GRFs on Banananananas?
Yep, but the interesting question is, WHY isn't Bananas a useful solution for distributing GRFs for him.
We have several artists that are not comfortable using Bananas for distribution afaik, but so far, nobody has been able to explain what the problem is, exactly. It would be nice if really everybody could use it, but without understanding of why the current implementation isn't good enough in some way, there is nothing one can do to improve the situation.
Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Buragan »

Aha!

I knew something was missing from my original post.

http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/nig ... rs.tar.zip - the FIRS link. Andy has a 'FIRS 2' release being developed, I believe, which this is a part of.
http://www.ttdpatch.de/download.html - MariCo, etc.

Will add these to the original post.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

You are aware that nightly firs is obsolete tomorrow?

Andy pretty much changes firs every day, so pretty much every day, a new 'latest' is created.
Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Buragan »

I know, but it was the one I had selected at the time (a mistake on my part, since it replaced my official FIRS file).

The main thing is: Is the file at the end of the link different from the one which is required for the .scn? (Since you know.. A fresh link might be generated for the newer versions). Additionally: Is there a way of mass-removing trees that anyone knows of? Would be appropriate for de-foresting most of the main island to replant it.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Buragan wrote:The main thing is: Is the file at the end of the link different from the one which is required for the .scn? (Since you know.. A fresh link might be generated for the newer versions).
Not when I downloaded the save game, at least. You can lengthen the lifetime of the link by pointing to the precise version rather than the 'latest' (open the directory in the browser, and go up a directory, then down into the directory with the same version number).

That is still quite temporary though, as only a few recent versions are kept.

Buragan wrote:Additionally: Is there a way of mass-removing trees that anyone knows of? Would be appropriate for de-foresting most of the main island to replant it.
Manually, dynamiting would work, but that can be a lot of work. There are also NewGRFs with a tree chopping lumbermill, but that needs a new game. Finally, you can write a height map of the scenario, and use that to recreate it from scratch (selecting a different tree algorithm during world generation). Not sure how much work that would be.

Tbh, I don't care about trees much, I have them disabled most of the time to see what I am building anyway.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”