[OTTD] Tasmania

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Toffo
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] Tasmania

Post by Toffo »

Hi guys,

With the last regular Tasmanian passenger rail services having ceased in 1978, will you be the one to restore Tasmanian Rail to its former glory?

Inspired by a recent road trip, I have created a scenario based on real-world data from Tasmania, Australia. It includes nearly 60 towns and a bunch of industries that have been roughly accurately placed. Some liberties have been taken to improve gameplay.

This is a fairly hilly map with access particularly difficult around Hobart and surrounds. There may be some money to be made in Tasmania's significant forestry and farming industries, running buses around the major cities, or perhaps by keeping Hobart's oil refinery topped up (although that requires significant capital investment unless oil rigs were to appear off the south-eastern coast of Tasmania). Eventually when cities grow and trains become faster a passenger rail network becomes more viable.

I'm happy to hear feedback but most of all I hope you enjoy playing this scenario as much as I have! If it's all good I will upload to Bananas.
Attachments
Tasmania 11 Test 2.scn
(723.14 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Tasmania

Post by romazoon »

Nice work, looking nice :)

I took the opportunity to check a bit the accuracy of your town placement, and found a few mistakes maybe, so i putted some signs where i believe it would be more accurate.

i think a few more villages in the empty area could be nice...but well maybe they really are none in reality, i don t know...

Here is the savegame.
Attachments
Tasmania, reviewed.sav
it s a savegame made with OTTD 1.5.beta, correction are placed with signs (look in "signs list")
(726.5 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Toffo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Toffo »

Hey mate, thanks heaps for those suggestions. Should be easy to fix. Cheers!

Edit: Attached is a changed version. Changed the town placements you suggested pretty much exactly where you put the signs - good job! Also added a few new towns. Hopefully I haven't killed off any industries in the process.
Attachments
Tasmania 12.scn
(744.47 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

nice to see you updated the scenario :)

here are some more corrections (concerning lakes), found also quite a few village in some empty area but also in some near urban area (pick the one you like), i also spotted a real copper mine.

hope you like my suggestions again :)
Attachments
Tasmania, reviewed2.sav
saved with ottd 1.5.0 beta
(749.28 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Last edited by romazoon on 05 Jan 2015 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
Mizari
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Mizari »

Can we get some pictures, too?
Toffo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Toffo »

Hey romazoon, thanks heaps for the changes. I'm actually happy if you make those changes yourself in the scenario editor. I probably don't have the eye for detail that you have! :) Also I wasn't planning on putting so many small towns in because of the way I play (try to service every town with a rail service), I don't know how much it will add to the gameplay. Then again, better to have the towns than to not have them, that way at least you have the choice of whether you want to service them or not. I don't mind what you do with that if you end up editing the map.

Thanks heaps for the suggestions, it should make a much more accurate and comprehensive map.

Mizari, I'll put some screenshots up after the latest set of changes is made.

Edit: Here are a couple of screenshots.
Attachments
Tasmania 1.png
(973.49 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Tasmania 2.png
(169.61 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”