[OTTD] Scandinavia

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
MatrixCL
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] Scandinavia

Post by MatrixCL »

Hi guys,

Just new here on this forum, but I've put some effort into making this height map of Scandinavia, using .hgt files I obtains from http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html.

I didn't know anything about these type of files and had to figure out everything on how to read them. I found out 3Dem is a program that can read them and show them in a good projection and I finally managed to paste them all together and create this map. It's not Mercator projection of course, but rather simply what you see on a normal globe (like with Google Earth). It's probably not 100% accurate, but looks pretty damn good if I may say so myself. 8)

The reason I didn't make it any bigger is because these distances just feel more accurate. I still have a bigger file, but on this one I've put some effort in making bridges fairly feasible over lakes in Finland and between Denmarks islands and Sweden. You don't want to be forced to lower or elevate water tiles too much. Denmark was partly created manually as much of it was seen as sea anyway. That was slow work. Same goes for some other coastlines. The coastline of Germany is removed, but I kept Estonia in.

Also, this has to be rotated counter clockwise. I don't understand why people prefer to play on a map when it's rotated 45°. I prefer north to be up and south down. The subcontinent looks 'pressed' on the map as tiles are displayed twice as wide as they are high, but I thought true in-game proportions are more important than what you see on the global map. Besides, this fits just perfectly: There is almost no land which is not part of any Scandinavian country, except for the Kola Peninsula, and only a slight bit of Denmark is not included. (Ever been to Tønder? Me neither.)

My plan is to create a scenario with it. Not with custom industries 'n all, just two with temperate and sub-arctic landscapes. But I'm still looking for a good source on which resources and industries are where in Scandinavia. The cities and villages are already in place.

Anyway, let me know what you think and...enjoy. :)
Attachments
Scandinavia 1024x512<br />Rotate counter clockwise
Scandinavia 1024x512
Rotate counter clockwise
Scandinavia 1024x512.png (54.05 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD] Scandinavia

Post by Katve »

Nice looking heightmap! I am waiting for scenario too. Resources and industry are probably harder to place than towns, but at least you could place power plants to places of real world nuclear power plants because information about location of those are easy to find.

And I am from Tampere also! :)
MatrixCL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MatrixCL »

Moikka! ;) Olen Hollantilainen itseäni kuitenkin.

Here's the scenario with a temperate climate. I'll do the sub-arctic climate later perhaps, but the problem is that forest can only be placed on a minimum height, which makes it impossible to place them in Finland, unless I create fake mountains there.

I have a rather good map of industries in a Dutch atlas, but it doesn't show where coal mines are, so I placed that where anything else than copper is mined. Power plants are where normal thermal power plants are generally located. (Where they have lots or large ones.)
Attachments
Scandinavia temperate.scn
(428.75 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
MatrixCL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MatrixCL »

Could anyone please explain why there are no new industries emerging in this scenario? Never mind, they are. Just forgot to put the right news notifications on. :P

Any other comment is welcome too, by the way. :) Should you have recommendations, or if you just like it, would be nice to hear.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”