Rotation of Real-World-Maps

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).

Should maps be rotated?

45° to the left
43%
45° to the right
29%
No Rotation Please!
29%

Total votes: 21

doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Rotation of Real-World-Maps

Post by doktorhonig »

This is a topic, that always bothers me when making a map based on the real world.
Should the map be rotated 45° to the left, 45° to the right, or shouldn't it be rotated at all?

Rotating it to the left means, that you take a rectangle from a map, and use the rotate-to-left feature. The northern border of the rectangle becomes the upper left border of the diamond-shaped map in the game. Example

Rotating it to the right means, that you take a rectangle from a map, and use the rotate-to-right feature. The northern border of the rectangle becomes the upper right border of the diamond-shaped map in the game. Example

No rotation menas, that you take a diamond shaped area of the map. In the game, the top tile in the middle is the "most northern one".
I mostly do that by rotating the picture by 45° to one direction, extract a square or rectangle, and use this rectangle in openttd. Of course it has to be rotated into the opposite direction as before. Bad Example of Sakhalin - the russian mainland is missing.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Rotation of Real-World-Maps

Post by Ameecher »

I'd normally say to the left, but that's because what I'm used to doing myself.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I think it kind of depends on the map, some places look better with the north at the left side, some better at the right side. If I'd had to pick one of those I would pick right though.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

I find it somehow strange to rotate, and try to get a diamond-shape out of the real map [3].
Since nearly noone does this, I prefer having north at the upper left edge. Maybe for areas at the top left or bottom right corner of a world map, this would be different.
Jim Powers
President
President

Post by Jim Powers »

Mr. Doktorhonig;

Almost all of my scenarios of countries or states are actually 61 degrees to the left,
if you're interested, Sir. The reason is that that is the angle of which the scenario
will "lay down". Any other degree causes the scenario to loose it's perceived 'real' look. :wink:

That's one of the 'keys' to making Real-World scenarios, in my humble opinion.
It was a good question, Sir.

Always,
Jim Powers
Arby
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arby »

In my first scenario based on a heightmap I tried to rotate it to the right, and then I was confused about station names like "<city name> north" lying in the supposed-west of the map. So rotating 45° to the left is the one and only correct way.
Metatron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Metatron »

To the right.

Rotating to the left as north just looks, well, wrong.
Silent tears of a woman
Make her warrior proud,
Heaven, I beg you, please release
Hopes from fears
Youri219
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Youri219 »

It strongly depends on the map you're playing with, you might want some important landmarks aligned properly. I used the gimp to rotate the Netherlands map 51 degrees to have 'de afsluitdijk' straight in the game.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”