Germany and DDR! [OTTD]

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
mebo146
Engineer
Engineer

Germany and DDR! [OTTD]

Post by mebo146 »

My first scenario, this is only the beta version. there are no rivers and no mountains. but it is still playable.
Attachments
DEUTSCHLAND&DDR.scn
(152.45 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (182.13 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
screenshot #1.png
screenshot #1.png (50 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
mebo146
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Germany and DDR! [OTTD]

Post by mebo146 »

here some ohter screenshots
Attachments
screenshot #2.png
screenshot #2.png (72.66 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
screenshot #3.png
screenshot #3.png (43.07 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Dopefish_lives
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dopefish_lives »

dude what's with all those mines at screenshot #2?
mebo146
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mebo146 »

That is the " RUHRGEBIET " in Germany. It is the place where all the German Coal is from.
Dopefish_lives
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dopefish_lives »

yeah but making all those mines is just inesthetic. make 2 or three mines but make their production high. i did the same at my romania scenario.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

That is one seriously flat map :-)
And as said, the coal mines don't really help.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice reality for the sake of gameplay :)
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
mebo146
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mebo146 »

As soon as possible i will make the second version of this scenario. with rivers, mountains and less industry ;)
mebo146
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mebo146 »

so here is the first scrrenshot of my work. you cann see the alps and münchen (munich)

but i've got a question, too. is it possible to change the climate after you had build a scenario???
Attachments
screenshot #4.png
screenshot #4.png (127.52 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
Dopefish_lives
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dopefish_lives »

yep, you can. simply save it, play it in singleplayer, use the change climate cheat, save, change extension to .scn and then load it in the scenario editor. i did that in my romania scenario and it worked like a charm. here is also a picture.
Attachments
Dopefish Company, 29 Apr 1994.jpg
Dopefish Company, 29 Apr 1994.jpg (112.61 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
mebo146
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mebo146 »

i think that i can finish the landscape of the map today. here are some new screenshots of the new german map.
Attachments
1. Southern part of Germany
1. Southern part of Germany
screenshot #5.png (46.37 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
2. the Ruhr Area ---> Ruhrgebiet
2. the Ruhr Area ---> Ruhrgebiet
screenshot #6.png (172.93 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
3. the river Main-Delta with Frankfurt
3. the river Main-Delta with Frankfurt
screenshot #7.png (202.17 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Dopefish_lives
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dopefish_lives »

COOOL!!! if you did all that terrain by had you are ...

i am glad you followed my advice.
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

This looks like a very good scenario to come. I have not yet checked whether there are other scenarios containing maps of Germany available, but as a German TTDP player (and PBS lover :D), this one could actually convince me of trying OTTD. I think a proper map of Germany in this detail is not possible in TTD(P) because of the map size restriction.

I noticed something on scrennshot no. 5: Ulm is actually on the northern bank of the Donau (instead of being located in some distance southwards), with Neu-Ulm directly attached to the southern bank.
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
mebo146
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mebo146 »

well if you are a geographical genius you will notice while playing that some cities in the eastern part of germany are not located at their right position, too. but the reason for that is that it is quite difficult to find the right position because of the size of the map. but i hope that these small mistakes do not destroy your fun to play this map. in detail i think that i do not made big mistakes like putting hamburg at the southern part of germany ;)
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Some Comments:

You should have made the mountains before putting the cities on the map.
You misspelled "Garmisch - Partenkirchen".
I would have made smaller cities, and let them grow in the game. I know, that in the year the game starts, the cities were already big, but gameplay is more important than realism.

I think it would be better to include parts of the neighboring countries, i did that in my austria-scenario too. A coastline through the alps is not that great.
mebo146
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mebo146 »

well, i build a german scenario not an austrian, swiss, czech or anything else. first i created the mountains but the cities destroy the mountains. so i had to build the mountains around the cities.
and well, you are right. the cities are big. but i wanted a realistic scenario and i already missed some parts of reality, so i think it is a ok what i did with the cities.

and one sentence to your austrian scenario. austria is much much much much much much smaller than germany so it is easier to build an austrian scenario than a german one.
and well the most difficult scenario to build is russia ;)
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

mebo146 wrote:well if you are a geographical genius you will notice while playing that some cities in the eastern part of germany are not located at their right position, too.
I am not, and I wasn't nitpicking. I didn't notice other misplacements because I didn't look for them :wink:. I just noticed Ulm because I worked there a while ago and therefore know where it is. Don't worry about some misplacements - it's no problem if a city hasn't the perfect position in relation to the surrounding cities. But any city around a river should be around that river on the map. And I don't think it is difficult or impossible to correct the position of either Ulm or the Donau.
mebo146 wrote:...the cities destroy the mountains...
Why is that?
mebo146 wrote:and one sentence to your austrian scenario. austria is much much much much much much smaller than germany so it is easier to build an austrian scenario than a german one.
and well the most difficult scenario to build is russia ;)
I don't think the difficulty of building a scenario depends on the size of a country. It's just a question of scale. You may want to put a certain number of cities on the map, starting with the biggest ones in that country. So a Luxembourg map would contain very small cities (number of citizens in real life), whereas a Russian map could never contain cities of that size as there are way more bigger cities which would be taken into consideration first.
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

mebo146 wrote:well, i build a german scenario not an austrian, swiss, czech or anything else.
That's your decision. I think, that national borders shouldn't be replaced by coastlines. It's not meant to increase the scenario-size, just to fill up the area, that is available on the map. I tried to build a section of the landscape, that reminds me of Austria. I actually cut away a lot - I didn't even include Vienna.
mebo146 wrote:first i created the mountains but the cities destroy the mountains. so i had to build the mountains around the cities.
Never experiend that. There are slight changes after placing a city, but that's still better, than non-mountainous cities. Maybe you should read the Heightmap Tutorial to get good mountains in your next scenario. It looked like that in my one: central austria
mebo146 wrote:and well, you are right. the cities are big. but i wanted a realistic scenario and i already missed some parts of reality, so i think it is a ok what i did with the cities.
It's absolutely ok - It just bothers me, that it's damn hard to build stations near the center.
mebo146 wrote:and one sentence to your austrian scenario. austria is much much much much much much smaller than germany so it is easier to build an austrian scenario than a german one.
Two "muchs" too much, Germany is about four times the size of Austria. But aahz already mentioned it, it's all a matter of scale, I included the town "Reichenau", which has less than 3000 citizens. But I don't want to be too proud of my scenario, due to my stupidity, I can only play it in MiniIN.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”