[OTTD] WIP scenario: Benacia (aka mainland Shireroth)

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Ari Rahikkala
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] WIP scenario: Benacia (aka mainland Shireroth)

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

OK, I don't know if this forum is the place of scenarios that aren't even halfway done and have received zero playtesting... but I figure that since this is the first OTTD scenario I've ever made, it's best to get a first version out of the door soon so that the experienced people on this forum can provide advice on how to make it better :).

This is a scenario of the continent of Benacia. You can find the maps which I based it on at http://micromaps.org/maps.php - since Benacia is right in the northwest corner of the Micronational Cartography Society map, it should be easy to find. I placed the cities according to the Special political map (there seem to be a few more on the Claims map - maybe I should add those in, too). The industries should also have some sort of a vague resemblance to the resources map - for instance, oil is found in Amarr as it should be, power plants are approximately in the same spots as on the resource map, Goldshire is agrarian and Brookshire industrial, etc.. Generally, though, I only respected faithfulness to the source material with "broad strokes".

My big problem with this map, the lack of city names on the western side of the continent (and therefore the complete lack of cities there), is unfortunately not really appropriate for this forum since I don't think I can find any experts of micronational history here ;). I'm more interested in the OpenTTD-technical side:

- I really would love to have snow-capped mountains, plus snowy ground in the north. I seem to recall that other people have done this (at least the snow-capped mountains) with their scenarios, but I have no idea how. So, um, how is that done?
- the oil rigs in the east actually represent the seasteads of the Straylightians. Will newindustries make it possible to actually make them act like cities up to a sane level (I mean, I don't exactly expect to have them *grow*, but at least they should produce and consume the same things that cities do)? Who should I send beer to in order to get newindustries in faster? ;)
- other questions are probably forthcoming once I get past the very basics...
Attachments
Benacia.scn
The scenario proper
(77.42 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Overview screenshot
Overview screenshot
overview.png (30.43 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Heightmap
Heightmap
heightmap.png (85.73 KiB) Viewed 424 times
mikeel
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] WIP scenario: Benacia (aka mainland Shireroth)

Post by mikeel »

- I really would love to have snow-capped mountains, plus snowy ground in the north. I seem to recall that other people have done this (at least the snow-capped mountains) with their scenarios, but I have no idea how. So, um, how is that done?
actually it have been possible only in the Mini-In http://nightly.openttd.org/MiniIN/files/ that unfortunately isn't still in developement, so it can't use trams and all the newest functions of the trunk.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”