NE South America Heightmap (WIP, Test version released)

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Dr. Mango
Engineer
Engineer

NE South America Heightmap (WIP, Test version released)

Post by Dr. Mango »

Here is a heightmap I have created from this image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... map-fr.svg
I have cropped the desired portion, converted it to greyscale and removed labels, latitude/longitude lines, and edited the rivers. If you use tropical climate for the map, large deserts will appear on the coast. You can remove them by CTRL-click with the Landscaping>Desert tool. I am not sure how to remove them otherwise.

This is a test version which I will improve upon promptly. Many mistakes indeed, I think I drew some of the borders as rivers, you might see ghostly remains of words on the map :lol:

The map is centered on Surinam, and includes French Guiana, Guyana, a part of NE Brazil, and Trinidad. I am thinking of expanding the map to the west and south to include space for the large cities in eastern Venezuela and also for Brazil. I left the stars on to locate the capitals Georgetown, Paramaribo and Cayenne easily, you can remove them with scenario edit.

You can play it on 2048x2048 for best, smooth look (although the image is not exactly this dimension). You could try 4096x4096 if you want to simulate the remoteness in the interior of these countries, and make river crossings by ferries more realistic. I recommend a max height level of 21-25. I might release a scenario to this map with all major towns and cities, using the American Roadset, TTRS and FIRS to name a few.

This is my first attempts at a heightmap, tell me what you think :D
Attachments
Guyana 1.1.png
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NE South America Heightmap (WIP, Test version released)

Post by NekoMaster »

Actually, if you do include more southern locations, like brazil and what not, that'd be nice. I guess it'd be too much to ask for a entire map of South America, but what you've done so far is pretty good.

I'd also like to see a scenario, perhaps in 4096x4096, so we can have a grasp on how large south america is and how remote some places are, I mean the amazon it self is large and has almost no civilization.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Dr. Mango
Engineer
Engineer

Re: NE South America Heightmap (WIP, Test version released)

Post by Dr. Mango »

Well I took quite a long leave from the forums :D But not from OpenTTD! I have been occasionally working here and there on a scenario to compliment the heightmap. It is 4096x4096 in size; I currently have completed all the cities in Trinidad, Guyana, Surinam and working through French Guiana. I have added industry clusters in large cities and raw material industries with some sort of relation to the real-life resources of the regions.
(Uses FIRS)

The industries are at the moment not meant to be fully accurate and just for gameplay, but I tried :D

When will I release this scenario? I won't make any promises like last time, but surely I will find the time to finish it within this summer..

Also about including an entire map of South America, that would be cool although the continent is quite large :roll: To keep things 'remote' I would probably have to only include major cities, but I'll see. To be honest I'd be more interested in making scenarios of specific regions in South America like maybe a map to include Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay for example, then another to include Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, etc. and so on

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”