[TTDP] Shared Game

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).

Current Game UK Setting. Next game...?

Britan (eg UKRS, British Town Names, RV's on Left, etc)
24%
Germany (DBXL, German signals, etc)
36%
North America (eg NABS/US Set/Can Set, RV's on right, etc)
22%
Other Europe (E.g. Serbian Trainset, or perhaps another European Trainset not in the poll)
14%
Other (please specify)
4%

Total votes: 85

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Ameecher wrote:
Raichase wrote:HOVS Buses
UKRS Industry Set
Surely we need HOVS 2 to make the UKRSI properly usable, it's on Pikka's live journal somewhere, at least it gives a decent set of vehicles pre-1930s and allows the transportation of UKRSI cargoes (eg. Clay, Fuel Oil and Lumber)
Well, HOVS2 is too limited to play a full game with. It's not too bad until you get into the late phase of the game (ie the 90's), when the 50's era trucks are just useless. Yes, we won't be able to transport those things with trucks, but there is always the diesel shunter and the paxman voith.
Flamelord wrote:30 was exactly what I was going to suggest for PBS. The rest looks good.

Eww allthrees on curves and slopes, and woot for extradynamite.

Can't wait to play.
Yeah, I knew you'd be one of the only people who didn't like the realistic curve/junction handling :tongue:

Neither can I, I'm very eager to get started.
Ameecher wrote:Another GRF I've remembered that I'd like to add are these new semaphores by Ronstar (download here). They are much easier to see than the defaults and it is more obvious which ones are PBS and not.

Screenshots of said signals can be found here:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=561639#561639
I'll look into them - if anyone wants them, or doesn't want them, I'll certainly consider it. I certainly think they look good - I'm more worried about people getting confused by not using default signals :)).

We'll include them unless someone doesn't want them.
Pug wrote:I think the American Trucks for George's LV4 can carry clay and gravel and whatnot. I don't know for sure, but it is something to look in to.
Yeah, they can, but Long Vehicles are not everyones cup of tea. I personally don't like the scale, and I know quite a few other people don't eaither. If people want them, we'll use them, but otherwise, I don't see them being used.
aahz77 wrote:
Raichase wrote:Does anyone object to using the nightlies?
I don't want to object directly, but we should take into account that it wouldn't be helpful if somebody's play is interupted by a bug in one of the nightly builds.
True. Although, it's a case of the own person being able to figure out what the bug is, lodge a bug report, and wait for it to get fixed, just like they would in their own game of TTD.
And another question is, how long is each player's time frame to finish his or her decade?
I wasn't going to put a time limit down, simply because some people are very busy, and I won't deny them the chance to participate just because they can't play as much as others.

Although, it's a good idea to say that, if a person vanishes from the forums and their turn comes around, their slot may be given away... However, I see the people signing up as doing their best to play their allotted time as soon as is feasable. Some people such as orudge, might struggle to get it done in a certain time, and thats fine - it's a game :)).

Good thoughts though, if we DO have problems, we might have to implement something like this.
Which also speaks against the nightlies, because within a few days of real life (because I don't expect the round to be finished in fewer than 2 or 3 days), there might be one or more new versions of the nightly build, which may lead to confusion which version is to be used...
Well, TBH, so long as the version is version X or later, it shouldn't be a problem. So long as it supports all the switches used, and is reasonably bug free, it's not an issue. I've been using the same nightly for a couple of months now...
aahz77 wrote:And here's my 2 cents on the config:

- tracerestrict: This indeed is a very nifty feature, which I haven't yet fully explored (but I think I have some time left until round 2....)
- adjacentstations: The other great feature by JGR, which turns my voice for using the beta a little down...
Yes - both very good features, that it would be hard to play without. I mean, we can try the nightlies, and if you're right, and it does cause a huge mess, we'll start using the betas.

I think, a good guideline, should be to post the version you're using when you upload up your savegame, and the next person is up to them to get that version, or a later one.
The rest is OK in my opinion; the main difference is pbs, where I use 31 instead of 30 (but that shouldn't be much of a problem for me or any other participant who normally uses 31 or 15).
You've got auto-presignals as well as the settings we've chosen? The only reason I didn't have that, is some people don't like PBS, and won't be too keen to start using it incase they make a mess. Thus, they have the option of leaving PBS junctions alone, and just replacing/upgrading trains, and playing with planes (I'm looking at RPharazon here :tongue:)
I think the participants of each round should tweak the switches for their round - or is there any reason for keeping the same config of switches between rounds?
Well, so long as they don't affect the game itself, thats okay. For example, you using PBS 31 should be fine, because that won't break anything if the next person uses 30. However, if one person used build on slopes, and the next person didn't, there would be a mess.
Same question for the version - but if the Nightlies are going to be used in a given round, a certain version number should be "locked in".
Well, a certain version or later. I'm open for locking in a certain version. The one I'm using is quite stable, or we could all jump to the current one and use that. Or do you have a specific nightly in mind?

Thanks for all the feedback, aahz77 especially. Even if you're not playing in this round, it's important we get this stuff sorted BEFORE we play, as I imagine we're all (again, especially aahz77) aware :)).

Cheers gang!
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

Oh, I am opposed to using the nightlies.

But not strongly. I just wonder whether we'd need to then update nightly while playing, and what happens if our game is rendered unplayable by an enormous error. I'd be much happier with the pseudostable beta.

[How did you ever guess, Rai? Perhaps it has something to do with the flying junctions I always build?]
Additional Livery Set
Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I recon there should be a minimum version for the nightlies that can be used and then any newer version is allowed. I dont like or dislike LVs so I dont mind but would rather use hovs1 instead. by the way is there a starting date or a date for the monday of the week the game is estimated to start in?
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

I am strongly opposed to the use of LVs. Can't stand the scale.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Flamelord wrote:Oh, I am opposed to using the nightlies.

But not strongly. I just wonder whether we'd need to then update nightly while playing, and what happens if our game is rendered unplayable by an enormous error. I'd be much happier with the pseudostable beta.

[How did you ever guess, Rai? Perhaps it has something to do with the flying junctions I always build?]
Well, this patch version issue seems to be another issue of contention. I've got all the info I need on the planespeed switch (seems to be a clear vote for 4, sorry orudge...), so I'll remove the current poll and add a new one.
robotboy wrote:I recon there should be a minimum version for the nightlies that can be used and then any newer version is allowed. I dont like or dislike LVs so I dont mind but would rather use hovs1 instead. by the way is there a starting date or a date for the monday of the week the game is estimated to start in?
Starting date? Not until we get everything worked out. I'll knock up a scenario (unless someone has one they want us to use?), and put it here for everyone to look at, and when everyone is ready, and all is sorted, I'll get us started.
WhiteHand wrote:I am strongly opposed to the use of LVs. Can't stand the scale.
Well, thats another user strongly opposed... I don't think we'll use them, at least not this round.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

I'll have to download those GRFs, I'm not sure I currently have any of them, and if I do, they're probably outdated. :roll:
Additional Livery Set
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

Raichase wrote:
aahz77 wrote:And another question is, how long is each player's time frame to finish his or her decade?
I wasn't going to put a time limit down, simply because some people are very busy, and I won't deny them the chance to participate just because they can't play as much as others.
I'm also quite busy; sometimes I play a few hours in the evening, and then often I don't play anything at all for several days. But I read the forums nearly every day, so if the player of the decade before mine posts the savegame, I would first response with the time when I could go on playing it (should be not more than 2-3 days of waiting) - and I think I would be playing the whole decade in one session (btw, how long is that approx?). I think we should give it a try without an explicit limit, but everyone should report when he or she is going to start his or her decade as soon as possible.
Raichase wrote:Yes - both very good features, that it would be hard to play without. I mean, we can try the nightlies, and if you're right, and it does cause a huge mess, we'll start using the betas.
Agreed. Let's give it a try.
Raichase wrote:
aahz77 wrote:The rest is OK in my opinion; the main difference is pbs, where I use 31 instead of 30 (but that shouldn't be much of a problem for me or any other participant who normally uses 31 or 15).
You've got auto-presignals as well as the settings we've chosen? The only reason I didn't have that, is some people don't like PBS, and won't be too keen to start using it incase they make a mess. Thus, they have the option of leaving PBS junctions alone, and just replacing/upgrading trains, and playing with planes (I'm looking at RPharazon here :tongue:)
I meant that I use 31 in my own games (I build my junctions in a way that they are generally PBS-compatible) - and it would be perfectly OK for me to use 30 in the Shared Game.
Raichase wrote:Well, so long as they don't affect the game itself, thats okay. For example, you using PBS 31 should be fine, because that won't break anything if the next person uses 30.
Is this so? I never tried. But the problem is: all my predecessors's presig junctions would have to be PBS-compatible if I play with 31... I'd probably be running into problems when all the existing presig junctions would be autoconverted....
Raichase wrote:Well, a certain version or later. I'm open for locking in a certain version. The one I'm using is quite stable, or we could all jump to the current one and use that. Or do you have a specific nightly in mind?
No, I don't, as I usually play with the betas, and only try out the nightlies from time to time to watch the progress. I think it's OK if we use a certain version which has proven to be quite stable, as you suggested, and if anyone wants to use a newer version, it should be OK for the other players.
Raichase (2x) wrote:aahz77 especially
You're welcome, don't put me on a throne that high... :oops: I'm just very excited with this Shared Game idea that I want to clear out all possible obstacles so that the enjoyment for all of us can be maximized.
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

In my experience I have not come across a nightly that doesn't work at all. If we just updated to one common one and then used that for the whole period and we all use it it'd be fine. There are some nightly features I'd rather like. However, I can see that other people would want to play their other games along side the shared one and that may involve updating nightlies. Up to you lot I suppose, I'll go with the flow but I prefer nightlies (I updated mine every few weeks anyway).
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

I'm eager to get started, once we get a few more of the participant's views on the beta/nightly issue. :)
Additional Livery Set
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Flamelord wrote:I'll have to download those GRFs, I'm not sure I currently have any of them, and if I do, they're probably outdated. :roll:
Yeah. I'm missing some of them, and there are others I have that we won't use because they are not readily accessible. Hopefully this kind of gaming will also motivate more people to put proper GRF entries on GRF crawler, and highlight the need of the community for people to use the site properly.
aahz77 wrote:
Raichase wrote:
aahz77 wrote:[...]how long is each player's time frame to finish his or her decade?
I wasn't going to put a time limit down [...]
[...]I would first response with the time when I could go on playing it (should be not more than 2-3 days of waiting) - and I think I would be playing the whole decade in one session (btw, how long is that approx?). I think we should give it a try without an explicit limit, but everyone should report when he or she is going to start his or her decade as soon as possible.
Excellent idea, I agree completely. A decade can take roughly one nights gaming - I can knock one down in a couple of hours at most, although in the more boring parts of the early game, I speed up the game to get some more money. So, my bit will probably be done quite fast.

The later game years, where there is so much happening, some people will want to do some building on paused, simply because when the game is running, there will be so much stuff to do!
aahz77 wrote:
Raichase wrote:Yes - both very good features, that it would be hard to play without. I mean, we can try the nightlies, and if you're right, and it does cause a huge mess, we'll start using the betas.
Agreed. Let's give it a try.
Heh, well, the poll seems to disagree with us on this one :)). Which is okay, I'm happy with the betas, so long as everyone can play and enjoy themselves.
aahz77 wrote:
Raichase wrote:
aahz77 wrote:[...]pbs, where I use 31 instead of 30[...]
[...]Thus, they have the option of leaving PBS junctions alone[...]/quote]
I meant that I use 31 in my own games (I build my junctions in a way that they are generally PBS-compatible) - and it would be perfectly OK for me to use 30 in the Shared Game.
Fantastic :)). I sometimes build non-PBS junctions, because sometimes the branches are so long that the trains can't turn around.
aahz77 wrote:I'm just very excited with this Shared Game idea that I want to clear out all possible obstacles so that the enjoyment for all of us can be maximized.
Me too :)). Better than having it fall apart half way through!
Ameecher wrote:Up to you lot I suppose, I'll go with the flow but I prefer nightlies (I updated mine every few weeks anyway).
Yeah - we'll go with the poll. Quick, everyone vote for the nightlies!
Flamelord wrote:I'm eager to get started, once we get a few more of the participant's views on the beta/nightly issue. :)
Me too. I'm champing at the bit :)).
ImageImage
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

I just think it's unfortunate how many GRF sets eliminate the maglev system because my favorite GRF (I am biased, of course) is my own AddLiv set. :(

So, what is left to decide besides the nightly/beta issue?
Additional Livery Set
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

GRF params if they affect anything that isnt already decided. Also did we decide on a unified maglev setting?
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

robotboy wrote:GRF params if they affect anything that isnt already decided.
Well, the only one I can think of affects the plane choice in av8, but it's not a big deal - I'm up for whatever.
Also did we decide on a unified maglev setting?
Nobody has objected to it being set to mono-rail.

Flamelord: There may only be two, but you will get your maglev in this game :)).

Hopefully next game, we can use a different set of graphics, perhaps the DBXL or the NARS or something, and we can include addlivw.grf
ImageImage
orudge_roaming
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by orudge_roaming »

Raichase wrote:Nobody has objected to it being set to mono-rail.
As the trains in UKRS are meant to be maglevs, it should be set to, well, maglev, surely?
Owen Rudge (roaming admin account)
http://www.tt-forums.net/
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

orudge_roaming wrote:
Raichase wrote:Nobody has objected to it being set to mono-rail.
As the trains in UKRS are meant to be maglevs, it should be set to, well, maglev, surely?
Blast.

Well, my logic was that... okay, it's not my logic:

[12:48] <Aegir> But really, depends what set you're using. If you're using a set with maglevs based closer to the transrapid, then use monorail tracks instead. They're closer to the prototype.

Again, I'm happy with whatever the majority wants. I'm eager to try things I don't usually try in my games, hence why this gets a seperate TTD install on my machine :)).
ImageImage
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

I prefer the maglev tracks, because I'm a ttd purist in some things - maglev belongs on the silly maglev tracks, not the more realistic-looking monorails.

However, it'll only bug me a bit if they do end up being the monorails, so I'm happy either way. Really.

What will bug me is maglev trains being treated to a three on curves and slopes. It's not as realistic, in my opinion (perhaps on curves, but meh!) to have this insanely slow acceleration that doesn't match the railtype at all. What would others think of having (maglev only) it at two or one?
Additional Livery Set
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

1 or 2 for me
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

I'd prefer Monorail, but I dislike them both. I only like them when they're replaced with Narrow Gauge or some thing like that. :x
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Okay, provided we're willing to say goodbye to the following:

Tracerestrict (Restrictive Signalling and whatnots)
Adjacentstations (Adjacent Stations, probably one of the best things in the nightlies)
Signalgui (The gui that allows us to change signals with one click, as well as autoplace signals every x tiles)
newterraingen (shouldn't be a problem - I'll generate a map in one of the nightlies and transfer it over)
engineconvert (convert a locomotive to a helper loco)
previewdd (drop down preview menu of station tiles in the station menu)
stationsize (make the maximum station size the size of the map)

We can use the betas. Personally, I'd rather use the nightlies, but the poll had the beta as the preffered option. Just nobody come whining about the lack of nightly features, especially if you voted for the beta :|.

Here is my version of the ttdpatch.cfg (I kept nightly switches in, incase we change over for next game - worst thing that happens is ttdpatch tells me they are invalid cfg lines)

Code: Select all

// The following switches are optional, please set them to your preference.
//
resolutionwidth 1024
resolutionheight 768
moresteam off
enhancegui on
errorpopuptime 0
debtmax on
forcegameoptions.autosave3months
gamespeed on
diskmenu on
locomotiongui off
moreanimation on
morehotkeys on
mousewheel on
moveerrorpopup on
newshistory on
newspapercolour 1985
showfulldate on
followvehicle on
fastwagonsell on
showprofitinlist on
showspeed on
sortvehlist on
morewindows on
windowsnap on
//
//
//Switches below are open for discussion. Obviously all the switches are open for discussion of use, but these are the ones I feel people are more likely to have an opinion of.
autorenew on 6
// Set to 6 months after the vehicle gets to it's maximum lifespan
enginespersist on
// Just incase some of us want to run a heritage steam line, or railtours with old stock. Or, if you're tight, like me, and keep using "type 1's" on the shorter lines :)
freighttrains 3
// This seems to be the average setting - some people don't like 5, whereas some people don't like it being off alogether. I'm open to having a poll for this, or simply discussing it. I'm not fussed, so long as it's 5 or less :).
multihead 0
// This allows us to USE multi-head, but without unrealistic speed gains.
wagonspeedlimits on
newrvcrash 1
// Makes trains breakdown if they slap a RV around a bit with a fireball.
planespeed 4
feederservice on
fullloadany
autoslope on
// specifically, I'm interested in the multiplier for the cost of autoslope - ie, how much extra should a player be charged for the privelage? I play with maximum settings, which is 3x the price, but I'm silly.
presignals on
extpresignals on
// I'm assuming we all know how to place pre-signals, but just incase...
pathbasedsignalling 30
// Please be sure to read up on PBS at http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php?page=PathBasedSignalling especially if you've never used it before. This settings forces us to place the signals manually, so that we don't get automatic PBS blocks appearing when we don't want them! Also, reserved junction tiles are shown darker, as are other reserved tracks.
tracerestrict on
// JGR's fun restrictive signalling patch - another great reason to use the nightlies rather than a beta.
signal1waittime 255
signal2waittime 255
//These switches make trains wait at red signals forever - are we all confident enough in our abilities to use this?
unifiedmaglev 1
//The only debate about this, is do we want our maglevs using monorail track, or maglex track. Personally, I find TTD's maglev track ugly, hence why I set the switch to 1 :)
adjacentstation on
// JGR's funky station building patch from the nightlies.
fifoloading on
towngrowthlimit 128
largertowns 10
// 1 in every 10 towns grows at double speed.
towngrowthratemode 1
townbuildnoroads off
townroadbranchprob on
buildwhilepaused on
disasters 239
// disables large ufo!
signcheats off
// No cheating? Perhaps if we make cheatscost mandatory...

// Switches below, I can't see anyone disagreing with, but please feel free to voice an opinion if you don't like any of them :)
experimentalfeatures.incvehconsist on
experimentalfeatures.signalgui on
experimentalfeatures.newterraingen on
experimentalfeatures.engineconvert on
experimentalfeatures.previewdd on
generalfixes on
miscmods.displaytownsize on
newsounds on
win2k on
morevehicles 2
curves 3333
mountains 3333
planes 240
roadvehs 240
ships 240
trains 240
spread 255
newships on
newtrains on
newplanes on
newrvs on
trainrefit on
mammothtrains on
newagerating on
rvqueueing on
gotodepot on
losttrains on
lostrvs on
lostaircraft on
lostships on
nonstop on
sharedorders on
selectgoods on
buildoncoasts on
buildonslopes on
plantmanytrees 3
bridgespeedlimits on
custombridgeheads on
higherbridges on
longbridges on
newbridges on
canals on
enhancetunnels on
morebuildoptions.oilrefinery on
morebuildoptions.removeobjects on
morebuildoptions.removeindustry on
morebuildoptions.closeindustries
morebuildoptions.enhancedbuoys on
morebuildoptions.bulldozesignals on
electrifiedrailway on
manualconvert on
semaphores on
signalsontrafficside on
tracktypecostdiff on
onewayroads on
trams on
gradualloading on
irregularstations on
keepsmallairport on
largestations on
moreairports on
newstations on
stationsize on
bribe on
extradynamite on
moretownstats on
newhouses on
newtownnames on
officefood on
newcargos on
newcargodistribution on
newindustries on
morecurrencies on
enhanceddifficultysettings on
eternalgame on
newperformance on
startyear 1921
morestatistics on
morenews on
Also, here is my newgrfw.cfg

Code: Select all

newgrf/ttrs3w.grf
newgrf/newstatsw.grf
newgrf/buffers.grf
newgrf/newshipsw.grf
newgrf/pb_hovs_bus.grf
newgrf/pb_ukrs.grf
newgrf/ukrsap1w.grf
newgrf/pb_av8w.grf
newgrf/ae_cityw.grf
newgrf/ae_ruraw.grf
newgrf/ae_subuw.grf
newgrf/harbourw.grf
newgrf/jstatsw.grf
newgrf/pb_viaduct.grf
newgrf/pb_ukrsi.grf
newgrf/bridge_win.grf
newgrf/obridge1w.grf
newgrf/basetunnelsw.grf
newgrf/sigw.grf
Note that "obridge1w.grf" needs a special parameter, only avaliable by reading the readme. For download links to all these files, please see the post earlier in the thread (linked from page 1).
Last edited by Raichase on 16 Mar 2007 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

You may complain about the map...

...now.
Attachments
SCR265.png
SCR265.png (21.31 KiB) Viewed 746 times
SCR264.png
SCR264.png (34 KiB) Viewed 763 times
TRP00.SV1
(203.86 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
ImageImage

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”