Best way to get into the train hobby field?

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

SIX10
Engineer
Engineer

Best way to get into the train hobby field?

Post by SIX10 »

I have always wanted to be a train operator. Right now, I have to decide over that and software engineering as a career (it will probably be software engineering though as it has a higher salary and I am already well versed in the field, sorry train operators!). I honestly have no idea how these mechanical systems work, which train model is which, what are the better trains and the ones with historical impact, basics of driving one etc, but I really want to learn really all about the field. We don't have many trains where I live so its hard to get a hands on experience with them. Any suggestions on how I can learn and get into this hobby?
Geo Ghost

Re: Best way to get into the train hobby field?

Post by Geo Ghost »

First thing I would say is what do you mean by hobby?
Like spotting, watching, volunteering at a preserved or heritage railway, or railway modelling?

Reason i say is because if you're talking about a career in the rail industry, that is very different from a hobby and you should never treat the two as the same when it comes to the Rail Industry. It can be dangerous and many people have messed up because of it.
Having a passion for the industry you work in is something else entirely and that is great :) Many of us here have that. But a hobby shouldn't be working in the industry, if that makes sense.

So tell us about what you'd like to do and where :)
SIX10
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SIX10 »

Geo Ghost wrote:First thing I would say is what do you mean by hobby?
Like spotting, watching, volunteering at a preserved or heritage railway, or railway modelling?

Reason i say is because if you're talking about a career in the rail industry, that is very different from a hobby and you should never treat the two as the same when it comes to the Rail Industry. It can be dangerous and many people have messed up because of it.
Having a passion for the industry you work in is something else entirely and that is great :) Many of us here have that. But a hobby shouldn't be working in the industry, if that makes sense.

So tell us about what you'd like to do and where :)

I honestly have no idea really. I just want to learn all about trains and how they work :D
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Have a look for any preserved or heritage railways near you :D
You could volunteer with one on the engineering side and such things with them perhaps. That'll give you the enjoyment of finding out how things work and doing it in your own time.

Alternatively if you want to go into a career with such, decide what you'd like (perhaps an engineering apprenticeship?) and see what's about =)

if you're simply curious and want to just learn out of interest, google and youtube work well for that ;) Be surprised what you can find out!

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”