London Northwestern and West Midlands Railway

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

London Northwestern and West Midlands Railway

Post by JamieLei »

Last week I visited home in Birmingham. I also took the 'London Midland' service because I'm cheap. I'd forgotten that it was the first week of the operation of the new franchise.

Of course, on week one, I didn't expect or experience any significant changes. But a taster of some things to come:

- Brand new fleet for the Cross City line, which I would have benefited from
- Lots of new trains for the West Coast services, which I would have benefited from
- Delay repay at 15 minutes rather than 30 (I was delayed by 30 minutes anyway, and submitted my compensation claim the following day)
- D stock for the Marston Vale Line!
- 172s replacing the 153 for Nuneaton - Coventry, then on to Kenilworth and Leamington

And of course, everyone's favourite point... :roll:

West Midlands Railway

London Northwestern
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Geo Ghost

Re: London Northwestern and West Midlands Railway

Post by Geo Ghost »

God those liveries are utterly ghastly!

Fire the design team! :P
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

I like the livery on the 350
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

JamieLei wrote:D stock for the Marston Vale Line!
This doesn't really excite me - yes, the 150s and 153s that run the route are old, but the D-Stock itself is older. Yes, they've had a refurb, but surely a refurbished 150 and 153 is better than an old Tube train?

I am, however, rather happy to see the extension of services up towards Preston once more, I remember London Midland removing them not long after they gained the franchise. The one trick I think they may miss however, is that they likely won't be serving Newton-le-Willows or Earlestown, which could provide a fairly decent interchange (especially Newton-le-Willows) for services towards Manchester and Liverpool.

The Green 350 livery is growing on me, but I am starting to miss the Yellow fronts now that the regulations have changed. Bring Yellow back! :lol:
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

So another easily forgettable here today gone tomorrow franchise change? Whoever ends up writing up this period of railway history is going to have a messy task! When I lived in Milton Keynes, I actually quite liked London Midland.

Can't believe that a franchise is actually taking up the nutty D-Stock idea. I have a soft spot for the Marston Vale Line - I guess its one of those situations where it might not be particularly good, but at least its going to be interesting.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

God awful liveries, especially the greener one.
Think how much money is wasted on new liveries and rebranding every time there's a new franchise owner.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Pilot wrote:The Green 350 livery is growing on me, but I am starting to miss the Yellow fronts now that the regulations have changed. Bring Yellow back! :lol:
The 350s aren't allowed to not have yellow. Hence why the door of the corridor connection remains yellow, that's the bit that makes it look silly in my opinion. All green or more yellow would look better but I really couldn't care that much.

I'm amazed that they offered up the 15 minute compensation agreement in their negotiations. As Euston goes in to HS2 building stages and platforms are taken out of use that just strikes me as an awful decision, especially as the compensation will go to the customer and then Network Rail or HS2 Ltd will end up compensating LNWT which means the treasury is ultimately footing the bill. How silly.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

It reminds me of some of the older SR liveries, where only the corridor was yellow
Dave

Post by Dave »

Pipe dreams in play are also reopening several lines in conjunction with the office of the new Greater Birmingham (VOMIT) mayor.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Ameecher wrote:I'm amazed that they offered up the 15 minute compensation agreement in their negotiations. As Euston goes in to HS2 building stages and platforms are taken out of use that just strikes me as an awful decision, especially as the compensation will go to the customer and then Network Rail or HS2 Ltd will end up compensating LNWT which means the treasury is ultimately footing the bill. How silly.
15 minute Delay Repay is a DfT policy for all new franchises from what I hear. Sensible in my opinion; and keeps the franchisee on their toes with a financial stick to make sure that 15 minute delays don't happen.

The TOC receives (Schedule 8 ) money from NR regardless of whether they need to pass it on. This means that it's the DfT's premium line that would be affected by the introduction of 15 minute delay repay, not NR's bottom line.
Kevo00 wrote:Can't believe that a franchise is actually taking up the nutty D-Stock idea. I have a soft spot for the Marston Vale Line - I guess its one of those situations where it might not be particularly good, but at least its going to be interesting.
It's the modern equivalent of the Pacer; low-cost to run on lines with poor commercial opportunities. I think you said several times that the Pacers kept many lines going when they otherwise would have been closed.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

JamieLei wrote:
Kevo00 wrote:Can't believe that a franchise is actually taking up the nutty D-Stock idea. I have a soft spot for the Marston Vale Line - I guess its one of those situations where it might not be particularly good, but at least its going to be interesting.
It's the modern equivalent of the Pacer; low-cost to run on lines with poor commercial opportunities. I think you said several times that the Pacers kept many lines going when they otherwise would have been closed.
In a time of dire lack of funding, yes. Today though it's purely because of a cock up in DDA issues and the fact that the Bedford - Bletchley is a diesel island in the middle of an entirely electrified section of the franchise. If it was electrified you can bet your bottom dollar they would be trundling a 319 up and down all day rather than having the logistical nightmare of ECSing a 150 down from Tyseley every Sunday.
It's just a cock up related to failure to deliver rolling electrification that releases diesel fleets to where they are needed and this is the bodge that has resulted, just like the 769s (319s with a diesel engine bolted to the underframe).
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

JamieLei wrote:
Yes, but Pacers were at least new stock when they arrived, and felt like an improvement over heritage DMUs.

It's hard to see how a life expired train shell, considerably heavier than a pacer or probably even a 150, can really be the cheapest long term option.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

I've heard new stock is cheap at the moment, and older stuff needs to comply with new TSI PRM regulations in a few years... I'd definitely be on the phone to Bombardier, CAF or Hatachi. The D-stock seems like it's more likely to be a liability.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Gwyd wrote:I've heard new stock is cheap at the moment, and older stuff needs to comply with new TSI PRM regulations in a few years... I'd definitely be on the phone to Bombardier, CAF or Hatachi. The D-stock seems like it's more likely to be a liability.
Part of the reason for D Stock is the fact that all of the manufacturers you mention have full order books right up to the time that the cut off comes in so everyone is having to look for other options.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Kevo00 wrote: It's hard to see how a life expired train shell, considerably heavier than a pacer or probably even a 150, can really be the cheapest long term option.
I suspect the shells will be far more beaten than Pacers too, with their many years of tube under their roof.

Amazingly enough, it looks like a decent unit, although they clearly don't posess a train wash capable of doing roofs - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 410129.jpg

They were originally slated to replace the Pacers. Although the operators that run them seem to have gone stone cold on the idea (and always were). I suspect a lot of the completed units will end up being used abroad, and not here in the UK.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Kevo00 wrote:Yes, but Pacers were at least new stock when they arrived, and felt like an improvement over heritage DMUs.

It's hard to see how a life expired train shell, considerably heavier than a pacer or probably even a 150, can really be the cheapest long term option.
They're a bit wider ?

Though I can see the doors are going to be a bad farce.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Redirect Left wrote:They were originally slated to replace the Pacers. Although the operators that run them seem to have gone stone cold on the idea (and always were). I suspect a lot of the completed units will end up being used abroad, and not here in the UK.
The Northern Invitation to Tender specifically barred bidders from the D Train, I suspect because of the fact they're not 'new' trains, and government wanted to be seen investing in the north.

I'm actually very optimistic about the D trains. The interior looks surprisingly good, although there's no mistaking that this was once the District line!
Suits London Northwestern's colours I suppose.

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

JamieLei wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:They were originally slated to replace the Pacers. Although the operators that run them seem to have gone stone cold on the idea (and always were). I suspect a lot of the completed units will end up being used abroad, and not here in the UK.
The Northern Invitation to Tender specifically barred bidders from the D Train, I suspect because of the fact they're not 'new' trains, and government wanted to be seen investing in the north.

I'm actually very optimistic about the D trains. The interior looks surprisingly good, although there's no mistaking that this was once the District line!
Suits London Northwestern's colours I suppose.

Count me impressed on the interior and exterior work, they certainly seem to have tried. Still not sure where I fall on the concept - I generally like the idea of making use of something if you can, but on the other hand I am a strong believer in investing in new equipment to the greatest extent possible. If the british rolling stock industry is at capacity this may be the best option I guess (time to spool up more capacity is probably too great).

Also, metro trains can be quite sturdy beasts, long outlasting their looks or even configuration style. We have stock on 8th Avenue here that is closing in on 60 years old, in mixed traffic with stock that rolled out of the plant a few weeks ago. The old stuff is ugly, but in too good of condition reef. It looks like these D train sets were very sound structurally, and the rebuilding has them looking nice and fresh! I'm impressed that aluminum shells have that much life in them (as opposed to stainless).

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”