Dripping IEP attempts to pair with Maidenhead juice; can't get it up.

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Dripping IEP attempts to pair with Maidenhead juice; can't get it up.

Post by JamieLei »

Seems not a good day for yesterday's introduction of the Cl.800 IEPs in public service from Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington.

- Late start;
- Air-con failed half way, was dripping all over passengers, had to be turned off;
- Loads of 'men who like trains' causing delays by overloading the service, making it crowded from Reading;
- Switchover from diesel to 25kV AC electric around Maidenhead failed due to pantograph issues.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/pass ... rvice.html
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dripping IEP attempts to pair with Maidenhead juice; can't get it up.

Post by YNM »

I watched this vid, realized it was yesterday. He was lucky not to be onboard for the cock-up, but apparently made one by your wording.

It's a shame though people get the two 5-car set first rather than 9-car set ! I can only imagine it's unpleasant when you have multiple class and commuters !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Are they doing the AC to Diesel switchover on the move at Maidenhead, or is there a stop in the schedule?
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

From what I understand, it can transition to AC while moving. I don't think there's a scheduled stop in.

The TRUST timing points on this train are at Maidenhead and Slough. The public TRUST report shows that was about 25 late between Bristol and Maidenhead, then jumps to 42 late at Slough, indicating that something happened in that section.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C ... 6/advanced
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

JamieLei wrote:- Air-con failed half way, was dripping all over passengers, had to be turned off;
Whaa, you mean to say that shower wasn't a new feature on board these services?! :P
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Sadly if the cranks had their way and Mk5 'proper train' stock was introduced, as per the Caledonian sleeper, there might have been a shower or two!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

No Mark 5s on the Caledonian just yet Jamie! Still Mark 2s and 3s. Could have done with that shower to be honest :lol:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hurrr. All moving changeovers - 378s have been doing it for years between DC and AC at Shay Boux, although switching between two leccy systems is obv easier... and those trains do have slack built in for stopping.

Annoying that the changeover bombed - the whole point of a bi mode fleet was to enable quick movements from non electrified territory to that with knitting.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

All gone a bit ATP so far then.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

From what I hear on the grapevine, it was a HST this morning. So not going that well.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Kevo00 wrote:All gone a bit ATP so far then.
Unfortunately we've got a bit more than a few prototypes of these bad boys.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

It was apparently back on at the end of last week and haven't heard anything since so assume its running well now?
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Apparently on diesel power it cannot reach 125mph and in general struggles to keep to HST timings
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

That's because the engines had to be downrated due to reliability issues. I think Hatachi are working on it. Personally, I'm not a fan of this whole Bi-mode/discontinuous electrification thing, and I'd far prefer to have quicker and more reliably electrified routes. In my opinion, saying to a place like Swansea, where no wires shall go that these new Bi-modes are an improvement is some sort of sick joke.
Dave

Post by Dave »

How many route miles between Cardiff and Swansea are booked for 100+ mph?

I don’t agree with bi mode either, but it’s a better solution than running diesel under the wires, which BR once used to frown upon in the early days. To the point where electric locos would take over for tiny stints under the wires.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Dave wrote:How many route miles between Cardiff and Swansea are booked for 100+ mph?
4 miles of 100mph running currently for HSTs only, but that's it. I imagine IEPs may be cleared to do 100mph on that section as well, eventually.
Dave wrote:I don’t agree with bi mode either, but it’s a better solution than running diesel under the wires
This is something I will always argue. I would much rather have a Bi-Mode 802 for the Transpennine services that can run on the wires where they're available, but also run on the route if the electrification is further delayed. Also, it allows them to be far more flexible when it comes to Diversionary routes (TPE use a lot of diesel routes for their overnight York - Manchester Airport services) than having to attach a Diesel locomotive.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

The interesting effect is that the introduction of bi-modes makes electrification business cases a lot less strong where you have diesels under wires. In the past, you could make a business case of say, Hull electrification, by electrifying the run of all 196 miles between London and Hull. Now, a bi-mode can use 165 miles of that as an electric train, which means that the less efficient diesel engines are only used for the last 30-odd miles. The business case then rests upon electrifying 30 miles of running, and making the train cheaper to purchase and more efficient to operate for the remainder of the journey (since you don't need to carry fuel or carry round diesel engines).

Not to say that we shouldn't do infill electrification; just that the problems of diesel islands have greatly been reduced by bi-modes.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The title of this topic made me think someone had written a Fifty Shades of Trains. And again each time there is a reply and i see the title again.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Why didn't we have AC bi-modes before? After all the Class 73s have been around for donkeys years. Makes sense...and I believe the 22xs could be easily converted.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Kevo00 wrote:Makes sense...and I believe the 22xs could be easily converted.
The 22Xs are quite decent trains (specially 222 space wise, imo, shame there isn't many of them). But would the conversion be value for money, or would it convert too many systems and end up very expensive for trains that are 12 and 17 years old? (If got my manufacture date for all 220-221-222s correct)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”