Loltrain

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Dave

Re: Loltrain

Post by Dave »

The 221s don't, however, and do have small steps.

Of course XC's 221s have been modified to remove their tilting capability - at first it was just locked out but the hydraulic systems were replaced by the more traditional bars you see on 220 bogies. Presumably there's no EPS requirement between leaving the GWML and joining the ECML. There's a section of 125 around the MML, I think, but this is achieved by non-tilting trains so it's all the same.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I don't know if DB actually bought any with tilting technology. It's a fairly modular design, with the idea that it can be used for different purposes. Most seem to be used on various S-bahn lines so I could imagine they don't go too fast. The only one I've been on is an "idyllic" rural line near Kochel; they do 80km/h there. Doubt tilting has much point there either.
But according to the specs they should be able to do 160km/h and a few seem to be used for regional express trains, which would be quite another story. I suspect those have the "upgrade".
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Dave wrote:Shepherd's Bush station isn't new, but its refurb for Overground was the problem Jamie refers to.
Actually was a new station; unless you count refurb as reopening a station closed in the 1940s!

It's fantastic how strict our standards for new stations have come, although its worrying that we almost didn't have a fully accessible Crossrail at one point. Keep lobbying, folks!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Dave wrote:The 221s don't, however, and do have small steps.

Of course XC's 221s have been modified to remove their tilting capability - at first it was just locked out but the hydraulic systems were replaced by the more traditional bars you see on 220 bogies. Presumably there's no EPS requirement between leaving the GWML and joining the ECML. There's a section of 125 around the MML, I think, but this is achieved by non-tilting trains so it's all the same.
Even the 221s that do still tilt don't tilt as far as the 390s, can't remember but I think it's 6 degrees versus 3 degrees, if I could be bothered I'd look it up.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pyoro wrote:
Pilot wrote:And that's the reason the German's came up with that disgusting Hamstercheeks train? :mrgreen:
They seem to have an extra "feature" regarding easier entry:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... etritt.JPG
Apparently a consequence of the tilting technology.
How can they make something looks like intentionally made to make someone fall over :lol:

Main topic : Platforms here are as wide and/or as narrow as they like ! Sometimes, only the safety distance is left due to an existing building / facility.

Typical width for platform extensions :
https://goo.gl/maps/qfNC4YP3kAC2

Existing building restrictions :
http://cdn-2.tstatic.net/tribunnews/fot ... 235149.jpg

Wasn't intended for stopping platforms I suppose !
https://goo.gl/maps/w5A8J4wwYc22
Platform on the other side, however, I think is among the widest I can find so far.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

At least the one in Kramat has those "blind-guiding-tile-things". Whatever they are called. One of the more fascinating features of Tokyo in my opinion; they're everywhere there ^^;

That last one's crazy though. Not I'd get on, unless the train is already stopped :?
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

That last one is stupid... How can anyone think that's a good idea, surely it's common sense to know that's not a good idea?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I know that with that flimsy one I posted there's a ... "security guy" and you're only allowed on the platform after the train stopped. So it's just a "get on/off" thing. Maybe this is supposed to be the same and people just ignore it (if you turn the view around there's some signs and things), but, heck, this looks like a busy station, not like the one I mentioned which is the type where you get 5 people on and off ^^;
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Pyoro wrote:At least the one in Kramat has those "blind-guiding-tile-things". Whatever they are called. One of the more fascinating features of Tokyo in my opinion; they're everywhere there ^^;

That last one's crazy though. Not I'd get on, unless the train is already stopped :?
Ah yes, the ki-iro tenji burokku (黄色点字ブロック), which literally translates as a yellow braile block. We have them in London too on the Underground at most stations, although they're not coloured yellow.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

How are they going to alert a blind person in a wheel chair? something like Detonators/Torpedo's?
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pyoro wrote:At least the one in Kramat has those "blind-guiding-tile-things". Whatever they are called. One of the more fascinating features of Tokyo in my opinion; they're everywhere there ^^;
Quite recent addition they are. Although, the installment isn't really proper IMO; the floor is no longer level...
Pyoro wrote:That last one's crazy though. Not I'd get on, unless the train is already stopped :?
Pilot wrote:That last one is stupid... How can anyone think that's a good idea, surely it's common sense to know that's not a good idea?
Well, the station has been there since early 1900s ! I suppose back then such platform (definitely low level) is an accepted thing. The layout never changed, but as the eons came and go, they just made it high level.
Pyoro wrote:I know that with that flimsy one I posted there's a ... "security guy" and you're only allowed on the platform after the train stopped. So it's just a "get on/off" thing. Maybe this is supposed to be the same and people just ignore it
No rules / guards regarding entry to the platform either ! Those signs are meant to warn people that they're going to cross an active line. It's very rarely used for stopping trains, often only if the platform beside is already occupied.

One of the craziest I can find so far :
https://goo.gl/maps/G13wcA7JotS2
Look closer down... That tiny strip of asphalt is meant to be a low level platform :lol: Granted this is a small station in a remote village, and only one train stops in each direction in a day, and probably only handful of people would alight or embark :mrgreen: The line is single tracked there with the station serving as passing site, but very active nonetheless.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

YNM wrote:
Pyoro wrote:That last one's crazy though. Not I'd get on, unless the train is already stopped :?
Pilot wrote:That last one is stupid... How can anyone think that's a good idea, surely it's common sense to know that's not a good idea?
Well, the station has been there since early 1900s ! I suppose back then such platform (definitely low level) is an accepted thing. The layout never changed, but as the eons came and go, they just made it high level.
Still can't believe that was built, even in the early 1900s, especially at what appears to be a major station! :shock: This is the state of a British (suburban) station in about 1905 (Fairfield in Manchester to be precise)... notice the nice wide platforms!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pilot wrote:Still can't believe that was built, even in the early 1900s, especially at what appears to be a major station! :shock: This is the state of a British (suburban) station in about 1905 (Fairfield in Manchester to be precise)... notice the nice wide platforms!
It is a major station even today. Also, remember they were doing this in a colonial setting and they were the dutch :mrgreen: who knows there may not even be any platforms back there at all !

For the record, that width is still common in other low-level, remote/low use stations. Probably those were just passing places converted platforms. But this specific station was already a major station in 1875, presumably back then serving new areas of the town (Meester Cornelis / Jatinegara).
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I don't think it's so crazy for something from 1900 - here's the station at my home town from around that time:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _1895.jpeg
As you can see, those platforms were super-narrow too. I think they just build them with the expectations that they give people "lift up", to easier get up into the trains, and didn't really care about width at all. The assumption probably was that trains were too slow to be all that dangerous in station areas?

(anyway, such a nice station, nowadays it's a boring 2 track thing with nothing extra :( What they needed all those tracks for back then though is a complete mystery to me though, admittedly ^^; )
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pyoro wrote:What they needed all those tracks for back then though is a complete mystery to me though, admittedly ^^
Stabling. Steam trains needs more maintenance work than diesel / electric ones. I presume...
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Maybe. But doesn't look as if there's much equipment or anything there. And the next station had a turntable and maintenance sheds and extra tracks and everything, so I'd be surprised if they needed another one this close (according to the 1861! schedule it's still only 15 minutes. Surprisingly, going in the other direction it's only 12 minutes according to the same schedule ^^;). But who knows ... I know there was some cargo traffic there later on, but this seems a little early if it's actually from before 1900. Oh well, who knows. There was some weird train stuff in that region at the time.

(wasn't even double-track I think in 1885. Should have been a little later, like 1902 or so when they did that)
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

A pleasant scene. Looks like a platform and shed for inward general goods next to the station building. Possibly the other tracks allowed for express or goods trains to pass round the station when slow trains had stopped or pick-up goods trains were shunting. You can see a carriage stabled on the other side. Possibly also a watering crane on that line but had to work out. Great pic though!

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”