Loltrain

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Loltrain

Post by JamieLei »

It's* so tiny!

*may or may not refer to Dave's turbo
Attachments
IMG_0630.JPG
(1.24 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Loltrain

Post by Kevo00 »

Great little system though!
Ploes
President
President

Post by Ploes »

Glasgow likes circle lines so much we count the Subway as two :D
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

I was actually quite impressed with the system refurb!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

That is a small train! And a narrow station. I just spent 30 minutes at work reading about the Glasgow Subway. Lovely.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:I just spent 30 minutes at work reading about the Glasgow Subway. Lovely.
Must be a slow day?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pilot wrote:
Chrill wrote:I just spent 30 minutes at work reading about the Glasgow Subway. Lovely.
Must be a slow day?
No. We had a lot to do. It's all about priorities.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Chrill wrote:And a narrow station.
Almost as bad as this on in Tokyo:
narrow_station.jpg
narrow_station.jpg (216.85 KiB) Viewed 4508 times
But at least it has that half-wall with automated doors so a misstep doesn't kill you :?
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

The very narrow platforms were certainly something that always shocked me in Japan. In Britain, Shepherd's Bush station opened a year late because the platforms were too narrow.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Angel's southbound platform is famously very deep because once upon a time it was an island...

Similar arrangements still exist at two of the stations in Clapham but are generally quieter. Angel is very busy, so you can imagine what this was like in 1992!

Even worse, Euston (Bank) was like this until 1967 when cross platform interchange was arranged for the new Victoria Line. You can note the depth of the Northern southbound platform at Euston too.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Dave wrote: Image.
Christ, that looks smaller than the desk in my living room (about 3.1M in length)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Close! It was 3.7!

Flickr

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

JamieLei wrote:In Britain, Shepherd's Bush station opened a year late because the platforms were too narrow.
If it's a newly build station that's really embarrassing.
We have some old ones that aren't quite up to modern standards:
https://static.panoramio.com.storage.go ... 759693.jpg
Couldn't find a better picture; but that concrete stripe on the left is supposed to be a "platform". Interesting station though, two lines meet there in a sort of V-like manner, and the station is between those lines. Can't say I remember another station quite like that, but I'm not that much of a station expert ^^
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Dave wrote:Close! It was 3.7!
Eesh. Using my desks as comparison and trying to imagine a crowd of people standing on them with 0.6M extra. Hard to think that nothing major went wrong there.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Pyoro wrote:
JamieLei wrote:In Britain, Shepherd's Bush station opened a year late because the platforms were too narrow.
If it's a newly build station that's really embarrassing.
We have some old ones that aren't quite up to modern standards:
https://static.panoramio.com.storage.go ... 759693.jpg
Couldn't find a better picture; but that concrete stripe on the left is supposed to be a "platform". Interesting station though, two lines meet there in a sort of V-like manner, and the station is between those lines. Can't say I remember another station quite like that, but I'm not that much of a station expert ^^
That isn't too much different then some of the stations you get in parts of the USA, which is why some trains/passenger car's come equipped with stairs so people can get from the low floor platforms up into the cars without climbing the 3-4 feet up into an American passenger car. Thankfully some of these low floor platforms are slowly being upgraded to include a wheel chair ramp
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yeah, DB is doing the same "accessibility" modifications everywhere, with new carriages that line up exactly with platform heights so you can enter levelly. Obviously it takes time - they've been at it for I don't even know how long. 15 years? Funny thing is that I recently saw a station that looked new but clearly hadn't been changed to new standards. That was a bit confusing, but otherwise they've made good progress on the lines I use, generally (admittedly, altogether I still wouldn't recommend extensive train travels in a wheel chair. There's still about a billion obstacles depending on where exactly you go ^^).
Dave

Post by Dave »

Shepherd's Bush station isn't new, but its refurb for Overground was the problem Jamie refers to.

Flickr

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Pyoro wrote:with new carriages that line up exactly with platform heights so you can enter levelly
And that's the reason the German's came up with that disgusting Hamstercheeks train? :mrgreen:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Pilot wrote:And that's the reason the German's came up with that disgusting Hamstercheeks train? :mrgreen:
They seem to have an extra "feature" regarding easier entry:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... etritt.JPG
Apparently a consequence of the tilting technology. Although I really don't see how that's of any use, but maybe the gap is wider than it looks on that picture.

Can't be the only reason for the new design though; I think all current railcars are low floor ;)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Pyoro wrote:
Pilot wrote:And that's the reason the German's came up with that disgusting Hamstercheeks train? :mrgreen:
They seem to have an extra "feature" regarding easier entry
Ah, yes, the wonderful step that I failed to notice the first time I got on one. Nearly fell onto the train :oops:
Pyoro wrote:Apparently a consequence of the tilting technology. Although I really don't see how that's of any use, but maybe the gap is wider than it looks on that picture.
Do those things really go fast enough to warrant tilting technology? The only time I've been on them is the run between Berlin and Schoenefeld Airport; they don't exceed 60mph on that section. Our main tilting trains in the UK do also have retractable steps however http://c8.alamy.com/comp/EWEKDT/sliding ... EWEKDT.jpg

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”