1998 Ice Storm Locomotives

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

1998 Ice Storm Locomotives

Post by NekoMaster »

I've read and heard that in the 1998 Ice storm that effected Quebec, Canadian National pulled two locomotives from the rails to provide power for areas of Montreal

Does anyone have any video or pictures of this?
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
penguin2233
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 1998 Ice Storm Locomotives

Post by penguin2233 »

I found something about how high the ice was, but not about the trains. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdE-okW-S5A
4 Tracks :P .2 tracks :) . 1 track ;( .
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

penguin2233 wrote:I found something about how high the ice was, but not about the trains. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdE-okW-S5A
Wow, thats some pretty bad ice if they had to get an Excavator to dig up the ice.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
penguin2233
Engineer
Engineer

Post by penguin2233 »

Yeah it was crazy (how would I know tho... I'm in aus)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

penguin2233 wrote:Yeah it was crazy (how would I know tho... I'm in aus)
I wouldn't know any better, I live in Southern Ontario, the worst I've seen was the 2013 Ice storm and that was nothing compared to what Quebec got in 1998... seems like Quebec tends to get some of the weirder things (like the 1989 Solar Storm that killed power in Quebec for several hours)
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Could not find what you requested , found this very nice collection of articles ......http://www.cbc.ca/archives/topic/the-ice-storm-of-1998 :roll: :roll: :roll:
penguin2233
Engineer
Engineer

Post by penguin2233 »

NekoMaster wrote:
I wouldn't know any better, I live in Southern Ontario, the worst I've seen was the 2013 Ice storm and that was nothing compared to what Quebec got in 1998... seems like Quebec tends to get some of the weirder things (like the 1989 Solar Storm that killed power in Quebec for several hours)
well Quebec seems unlucky, but that's just like Japan with their earthquakes and tsunamis. Anyway, you would know more about this than me because in Canada they have snow, whereas Australia doesn't have snow.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

penguin2233 wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:
well Quebec seems unlucky, but that's just like Japan with their earthquakes and tsunamis. Anyway, you would know more about this than me because in Canada they have snow, whereas Australia doesn't have snow.
Australia does get snow in the higher altitudes, and in some area's in freak storms when it gets cold enough, but yeah for the most part I know that Australia doesn't get snow.
penguin2233
Engineer
Engineer

Post by penguin2233 »

NekoMaster wrote:
penguin2233 wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:
Australia does get snow in the higher altitudes, and in some area's in freak storms when it gets cold enough, but yeah for the most part I know that Australia doesn't get snow.
Yeah, just around last week there was cyclone Debbie that killed parts of nsw or Queensland. Rainfall can also cause flash flooding in Melbourne, where I live.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”