Is it the end of "The Age of the Train?"

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Dave

Re: Is it the end of "The Age of the Train?"

Post by Dave »

Geo Ghost wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:What is the maximum journey time on those expected to be?
Actually, are there any legal requirements for rolling stock that has a potential journey over X to have a toilet, or is it all down to TOCs / manufacturers?
Max time in service between origin and destination without a toilet on board is about 1 hour and 30 minutes. But that may differ between TOCs and locations.
The longest journey for a 313 is about an hour and 15 minutes - give or take. Highly unlikely anyone would stay on for that length of time, so I'd say the longest likely journey is about 50-60 minutes on a good day.
Struggling to understand the issue here. Plenty of units with no lavs kicking around Lahhhhhndan. To the point that a couple of 319s on TL have their toilet compartments blocked over.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Pilot wrote:
Kevo00 wrote:though who would have thought that it would look likely that Mk3 would outlive Mk4?
VTEC apparently have plans to retain 6-8 Class 91 and Mk4 rakes if they get permissions for the extra London to Edinburgh Trains they want to operate, so the Mk4s will live on also
I actually heard that VTEC would be retaining HSTs due to he extra flexibility (source being a VTEC driver)
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chris wrote:
Pilot wrote:
Kevo00 wrote:though who would have thought that it would look likely that Mk3 would outlive Mk4?
VTEC apparently have plans to retain 6-8 Class 91 and Mk4 rakes if they get permissions for the extra London to Edinburgh Trains they want to operate, so the Mk4s will live on also
I actually heard that VTEC would be retaining HSTs due to he extra flexibility (source being a VTEC driver)
Certainly makes sense to do that. As long as they don't end up rotting and seizing up in one of their depots!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Haha, all this talk about loo-less trains reminds me of one day I was once on the Pomeranian Narrow Gauge Railway in Poland, which has 1926 stock refurbished in 2013, and the only toilet on board happened to not work! (So much for retention tank toilets!). The gaurd kindly advised me that if I am really desperate I can do my business out the back of the gaurd's van!

And anyways, I find the sight of the sleepers rushing by below rather relaxing when I'm in the toilet.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Ameecher wrote:
Pilot wrote:
Ameecher wrote:most mark 3 stock has already had the appropriate modifications - the rest of it is life expired and not really fit for purpose
Don't most of the HST rolling stock still have slam doors and no retention tanks? In which case, the vast majority of Mk3 stock does not have the necessary Modifications. Of course, the GWR and VTEC one's will be withdrawn soon, several sets will be retained by EMT and XC (Or at least, there doesn't seem to be plans to replace them for either company), which haven't had the necessary Modifications as far as I'm aware? Of course, some of the withdrawn sets (that don't go to Scotrail) may be used whilst EMT and XC have theirs modified so that they are up to the Disability regulations, so that might be how they deal with it.
I may be wrong but I don't think retention tanks is a requirement. Also power doors aren't relevant when you still need a ramp to reach the platform.
I thought there was an intention to stop the waste being dumped on the tracks for Health reasons. And I thought the main issues with the Mk3s was the Doors, after all, the vast majority of new-build trains still need a ramp to enter them.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

It would be good to see HSTs on Parcel/Post services. Maybe Royal Mail or DPD or the like give them a shot from the defibrillator?
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Translink wrote:It would be good to see HSTs on Parcel/Post services. Maybe Royal Mail or DPD or the like give them a shot from the defibrillator?
a RM livery designed for a 43 could look beautiful - not sure how good roll up doors would look on mk3s. I think there is a bit of life left in them, but eventually even my favorite piece of industrial design will be relegated to museum pieces.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”