The End of Mechanical Signalling on NIR

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

The End of Mechanical Signalling on NIR

Post by Translink »

With deep regret and sorrow I must announce that in November this year Waterside PSB, Castlerock SB, and Coleraine PSB will sign off for the last time, why? It's due to the Phase II of the North Coast Line upgrade taking place. The three signalboxes will be replaced by a new computerised signalling centre built in Coleraine. This will result in the end of full time mechanical signalling on the NIR network as the passing loop in Castlerock will be lifted and will be replaced with the new one at Bellarena, the new station having been officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen in Juine.

Somersault signals at Castlerock
Driver coming down from Londonderry gives up his Castlerock-Waterside (key) token in exchange for the Catlerock-Coleraine (tablet) token

Now Portrush will remain the last mechanical signalbox on the NIR network, but it is only open during high traffic when platforms 2&3 are in use (currently, the track is set into platform 1 and the line is worked as a single block section). The block token, which is in the rather unusual form of a tablet, will be decomissioned.

Would I be correct in saying that Portrush will now be the only remaining mainline station in the UK with fully working somersault type semaphore signals? I can't think of any other location myself.

Portrush-Coleraine tablet token
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: The End of Mechanical Signalling on NIR

Post by The Growl »

It's not exactly a bad thing, more accuracy equals more trains on the line, and less chance of human error.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Yup, in this case surely its a good thing that NIR are investing up there - the Derry line has been so starved of funding over the years, and it has been threatened with closure many times. Its sad to see history go but better to see changes made that can put lines on a more economic footing.

For whatever reason, the images don't work for me.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Indeed, the North Coast Line was severely underfunded and it I'd indeed good to see funding for the line, especially when you consider it's the Queen's favourite railway line!
But all that is happening as Ulsterbus get their funding cut back

On the topic of closure, if Benson had his way there would only be one railway line left in NI, the Belfast-Dublin Line!

For whatever reason the images don't seem to be working.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

So the website that the images are on doesn't support hosting or downloading, so here are the linked photos:

Somersaults at Castlerock
Driver coming down from Londonderry gives up his Castlerock-Waterside (key) token in exchange for the Catlerock-Coleraine (tablet) token
Portrush-Coleraine tablet token

Also, the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland are organising the "Castlerock Semaphore Finale" on the 30th October most likely including a tour of the cabins, pulled by No 85 Merlin, the last time a train will ever run around at Catlerock.

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/events/
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Pretty good - love the contrast between traditional and new technology.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Here's a video of the somersaults in operation in Portrush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS6s9dT1sTw

23:30 is the best bit!
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

That's it, I suppose. You've served us well Castlerock!

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”