Why trains suck in America

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Why trains suck in America

Post by oftcrash »

I've taken Amtrak from Providence to NY, both regular regional and the Acela. I've also gone from Boston to St Paul, MN back in early 90s. Definitely not comfy and nice like all the pictures I've seen of Euro rails.
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Why trains suck in America

Post by Nawdic »

This is the time where the US needs to ask for foreign investment to get the money in, TT-style!
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Why trains suck in America

Post by supermop »

Nordic Dragon wrote:This is the time where the US needs to ask for foreign investment to get the money in, TT-style!
There is plenty of money in the US, just no one who has it wants to invest in trains. Various JR groups have expressed interest in investing in projects here or there though. Keep in mind that unlike in Europe , Amtrak is run with no mandate to be profitable, just to provide minimum service. For the past 6 years congress has been held by people who would prefer to see Amtrak fail and wind down. Not that they would prefer to see trains privatized, rather they would prefer there to be no trains at all.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”