What American Locomotive Builder Are You A Fan Of?

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Fan of which builder?

ALCO
20%
EMD/GMD
40%
GE
20%
OTHER (Reply with your favorite builder)
20%

Total votes: 5

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

What American Locomotive Builder Are You A Fan Of?

Post by NekoMaster »

I dunno if this is a thing with people, but I myself find myself favoring EMD/GMD locomotives and other railstock made by EMD over other builders, with GE in 2nd place, and ALCO 3rd place.

Theres a poll to give your answer, though if you pick other you may want to post your favorite builder in a post if its not listed.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
kamnet

Re: What American Locomotive Builder Are You A Fan Of?

Post by kamnet »

Mine is one in my own back yard, R.J. Corman. They manufacture new models and refurbished GE/EMD frames with more environmentally-friendly GenSet series, as well as the Green Goat switchers. They also own and operate the popular My Old Kentucky Dinner Train, which are three EMD FP-7A engines paired with 1940's Budd dining cars that previously served on the Santa Fe and Pennsylvania Railroad lines, and operates on a portion of the historic Louisville and Nashville line, purchasing and restoring a historic depot in Bardstown, KY. They also own "Old Smoky", a refurbished 1986 China Railways QJ Series 2-10-2 steam engine that is run on special excursions to the Kentucky Derby and other big events throughout the year. The company also owns and operates and extensive number of short line railroads and railbanked lines.
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

I will and always will be a fan of EMD, especially as to how they turned round British and European railways with the Series 66.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Nordic Dragon wrote:I will and always will be a fan of EMD, especially as to how they turned round British and European railways with the Series 66.
Yeah I forget sometimes that EMD provides designs and export models for other countries other then USA, Canada, and Mexico.

If anything I know more about EMD export models then I do about General Electrics export stuff (not including locomotives using one or two GE parts, I'm talking full GE Locomotive (designs))
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

GE wise, we have the Class 70 in the UK too, not quite as successful as the 66s though.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Pilot wrote:GE wise, we have the Class 70 in the UK too, not quite as successful as the 66s though.
Hehe

The only major GE Transportation stuff I know is the HXN5 (or GE ES59ACi) in China, usually running in pairs from China to the Tibetan plateau.

Too bad we couldn't have a GE ES59AC here in North America, there has to be some railroads like Union Pacific, Canadian National, and Canadian Pacific that would buy at least a couple 6250 HP Eco "Friendly" locomotives. Two ES59ACi's would replace 3 Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC's in operation, which I see rather often in Oshawa where Canadian national and Canadian pacific both have their own rails running through Oshawa.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”