High Speed Train at 40

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

High Speed Train at 40

Post by Nawdic »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36188805?S ... =og.shares

BBC have been celebrating the life of the HST. 40 years young...

I think a special repaint has appeared too ;)
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: High Speed Train at 40

Post by orudge »

And of course the HST will continue to plough our rails for some years to come, with them coming back to intercity lines in Scotland in a few years. :)
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

I hope they run the wheels off them like some of the 50 year old subways that refuse to die here - It's an Icon of British industrial design and still fit for purpose so I don't see any reason when they couldn't serve in some capacity for decades longer until some safety-critical issue emerges
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

And long may they run! This, and all the other old engine still found on our railways really go to shows that British engineering is the world's finest!
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Translink wrote:And long may they run! This, and all the other old engine still found on our railways really go to shows that British engineering is the world's finest!
Say that to the APT :p
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

APT was an engineering masterpiece. I still believe it had a great potential :wink:
Just unfairly slated by the press and government, who apparently did not understand what the term 'prototype' meant :P

Both the 313s and HSTs are coming into their 40th year now and still both going strong.
Marvellous machines without a doubt, and I will never forget the distant screaming and roaring sound from my house, of an Intercity 125 at speed! Sadly, the once little trees around my areas have now grown up and it's difficult to see or hear the railway line these days. But I have my childhood memories of standing by the fence watching the trains thundering up and down the mainline! No doubt they are one of the trains that really aided my fascination with the railways.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Illegal_Alien wrote:Say that to the APT :p
What are you high on? The APT was a marvelous design, it is essentially the framework of most high-speed trains in Europe. Maybe the project failed, but the design certainly didn't!
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

"Each H.S.T. would have an estimated life of some ten years in main-line service, after which, with the conversion of the seating accommodation in their Mark II coaches, they could give further useful service on outer suburban routes."
---Railway Magazine - June 1972

All I can say is LOL
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Translink wrote:
Illegal_Alien wrote:Say that to the APT :p
What are you high on? The APT was a marvelous design, it is essentially the framework of most high-speed trains in Europe. Maybe the project failed, but the design certainly didn't!
I wouldn't go as far as to say marvellous to be honest. It had quite a lot of quirks that really needed addressing.
They probably would have been with the APT-S.. but sadly it never got that far.

Just very glad that so much work has gone into preserving the remaining coaches at Crewe :)
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Well I know, but it was essentially the framework of all high speed trains in Europe, after all the Pendolino is essentially an updated APT.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Other than the fact that they both tilt, there is very little connection between the two, one being a locomotive based set, and one being an EMU (just because the locomotives are in the middle of the train without cabs doesn't mean they are not locomotives). The train that inherited the most from the APT's engineering would be the 91, most contemporary and later European high speed sets drew inspiration from either the TGV or EMUs like the first Shinkansens
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

supermop wrote:Other than the fact that they both tilt, there is very little connection between the two, one being a locomotive based set
It was the people at BREL who came up with the concept of tilting trains and pioneered it in the APT. The tilting mechanism was in fact so good it was too good, meaning that passengers could not feel the curve whatsoever, but they could see it, making them sick.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Sorry, I do believe that's incorrect.

The tilt was in fact too much as the angle was more than what was required. But again, it was a prototype. Wasn't 'too good'.
Whilst we did indeed pioneer the tilting tech for your standard high speed train of today, they weren't the framework for European high speed trains.
The APT power-cars did influence the 91 indeed. All be it the 91 was a much more improved version and updated by then. The APT coaches also heavily influenced the MK4 stock. In fact, MK4 coaches were designed with tilt in mind, but never fitted. Hence why the bottom of the coaches are smooth and curve under :)

When it came to people getting sick on the APT, it wasn't as high number as people made out. The biggest number was when the press and reporters were on board for a trip. However the critics deny that their open bar at the hotel the night before may have been a far bigger factor in them feeling sick... :roll:
The CAPT system on-board was quite clever, and was what permitted the train to go over 140mph. This was in-fact a very early type of in-cab signalling.

So there's a few odds and ends that came out of the project, but it did help with later projects and some rail travel. It was just a great shame it got so shunned and never got the chance to fully develop past its prototype stage.
But hey, at least one is preserved :)
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Translink wrote:It was the people at BREL who came up with the concept of tilting trains
The people at BREL must have also pioneered time travel to share this concept with engineers working decades before them then... Even if you discount various experimental trains and prototypes (an the APT was of course also a prototype) which appeared in the 1930s and 1950s, North America and Japan saw regular tilting services starting in the 1960s and 1970s respectively. The APT team did a lot of ground breaking work developing active tilt mechanisms, but the "concept" of tilting trains was already well established and in functional use.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Geo Ghost wrote:The tilt was in fact too much as the angle was more than what was required. But again, it was a prototype. Wasn't 'too good'.
Whilst we did indeed pioneer the tilting tech for your standard high speed train of today, they weren't the framework for European high speed trains.
The APT power-cars did influence the 91 indeed. All be it the 91 was a much more improved version and updated by then. The APT coaches also heavily influenced the MK4 stock. In fact, MK4 coaches were designed with tilt in mind, but never fitted. Hence why the bottom of the coaches are smooth and curve under :)
One of the very senior people in my company was on that press run, and recalls feeling rather sick on it. He now regularly travels by Pendolino and doesn't experience the same problem.

Its easy to dismiss it as 'a few reporters drunk', but it was a serious issue.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Without a doubt, there may be some who did feel sickly from the tilt. Much the same as some (like myself) who feel like death out on the sea, bobbing up and down.
I even get a bit sickly my first time on the Pendolino. However, was only once I had it.

But from what I've heard from those who worked on the project, test drivers, and those who restored it.. a great deal of the negativity was exaggerated.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”