Steam Locomotives in China Formally End on 2024-01-15

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Steam Locomotives in China Formally End on 2024-01-15

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

According to https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/syc/qjc/news.htm:
Sandaoling (4th January 2024)

The latest date for the final 'end of steam' is 15th January 2024, it may, of course, happen a few days before or after. Sufficient HXn5b diesels have been delivered and crews are undergoing final training. No doubt a few dedicated enthusiasts will make their way there before the final curtain falls, it will be a significant moment in world industrial history and without the internet it may have passed almost unnoticed..

I won't be shedding any tears, I moved on more than 10 years ago but I do understand how others must be feeling now. Anyone reading this will, like me, most likely have seen the long term love of his/her life pass into history.
Sandaoling, Xinjiang is (will be "was") the last place in China where steam locomotives are (will be "were") used for "formal" (i.e. not sightseeing, but industry and commuting related) purposes. In 2022, I already heard they would be obsolete soon, but they unexpectedly survived until now, although they will end in 5 days...

I wanted to go to see the "last steamer" before they end. However, my parents don't allow me to go to that "cold and dangerous" place... There are still sightseeing steamers in e.g. Jiayang, Sichuan and "museum-living" steamers in Diaobingshan, Liaoning, however they are no longer used for any formal and crucial purposes... :cry:
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Steam Locomotives in China Formally End on 2024-01-15

Post by ebla71 »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 10 Jan 2024 01:57 I wanted to go to see the "last steamer" before they end. However, my parents don't allow me to go to that "cold and dangerous" place... There are still sightseeing steamers in e.g. Jiayang, Sichuan and "museum-living" steamers in Diaobingshan, Liaoning, however they are no longer used for any formal and crucial purposes... :cry:
A long travel report of a German railway enthusiast travelling to China to take pictures at Sandaoling in at least 12 parts can be found here (The link goes to the last part but you can go back with the links at the top of each entry)

The text is in German but placenames should be generally accessible and the pictures speak for themself (prepare hot tea when viewing to avoid getting cold just from watching :lol: )

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”