Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Geo Ghost

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Geo Ghost »

YNM wrote:Is that going to be a thing ? I often liked the british signaling system because of the spatial displacement of aspects such that even if you're colorblind you can still tell what it might be from their pattern; contrast to, say, German one where despite the slight pattern by distant signal it's very slight. Is there any review of it's effect or such ?

(I also lament the stiff-looking gantries, but hey, at least you got quite some flying junctions I see.)
LED signals are already very much a thing all over.
They are far superior in every way to the traditional colour-light signals. Much smaller, more reliable, much better sighting and brightness (especially in fog and poor viability). Also you can see the signal at various angles instead of head on, and they are a lot more visible in time of direct sunlight which is a major bonus ;)

Also I wouldn't worry about the colour-blindness concern. No one would be driving if they were colour-blind ;) Besides there are varying patterns depending on the placement of the signal and the sequence.
For example there are 3 aspect signals which can show two yellows, and ground-placed or co-acting signals where the red is at the top and not the bottom :)
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

The new combined signal heads still have to the same spacing between the double yellow aspects but the new LED style heads gave this as the norm. Much of the WCML south has these types of signals. Interestingly the signal heads also retain the same spacing between the aperture and the route direction feather so that if you have one aperture on a junction signal you end up with loads of blank metal before the feather on top.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

I believe that the green light has some blue in it to factor in red-green colour-blindness. Not sure if train drivers are permitted to drive if colour-blind, but that's the rationale for road traffic lights being slightly blue.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

JamieLei wrote:Not sure if train drivers are permitted to drive if colour-blind,
I can confirm, they are not.
Anyone who is colour blind cannot undertake safety critical duties such as driving, shunting, dispatch, etc.

Not sure about the blue in the signals though. Can't say I've ever noticed such myself! :P
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I get it that LEDs are far more better than any other thing. I just comment on the loss of one thing that used to be there. Down here we also use LEDs for train signals, but I haven't see one which can show different aspect from the same "lamp".

It also kind of "lost" the difference that while traffic signal have red on top and green at bottom, train signal have red on bottom and green on top.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

The reason some UK signals use multiple lamps is because we use two yellow lights to warn of a yellow light ahead. Otherwise, all lights can all be shown on one lamp quite easily. Also, in the eastern region (I believe) they used multiple lights in a single "lamp", but with conventional lights.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fascinating area, signalling.

You can find out all you need to know (and loads more) here:
http://www.railsigns.uk

You won’t be disappointed!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Another interesting read:

http://www.davros.org/rail/signalling/a ... tions.html

I've had to understand signalling in my job far more than I ever imagined and it is very interesting. To a point ( maybe half a pub intended).
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Dave wrote:Fascinating area, signalling.

You can find out all you need to know (and loads more) here:
http://www.railsigns.uk

You won’t be disappointed!
Ameecher wrote:Another interesting read:

http://www.davros.org/rail/signalling/a ... tions.html

I've had to understand signalling in my job far more than I ever imagined and it is very interesting. To a point (maybe half a pub intended).
Very interesting indeed :wink:

Railway signalling down here involves somewhat less of technicalities. Speeds are low enough (max in the network 75 mph, goes as low as 15 mph regular or even 5 mph on some workings) such that braking distances are not that far. The only thing "interesting" for me is the speed limit signs - instead of any numbers, they're either coloured boards (I guess it' reminiscent of signal aspect) or "gradient"-ish sign (exactly like what you'd expect for gradient sign except now it tells you speed limit, without any written number, the configuration tells you the limit). I'm not aware of any special arrangements of previous signals like the british one (probably only the ususal distant).

Which, in all, is more than those which only talks about block systems... Even "moving blocks" today are still just just super-short block systems (not exactly a seamlessly moved block).
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

An inaugural run of a new high speed line in the States has gone horrendously wrong, after carriages flew off the track and onto a highway below.

The train in Washington state came off the track between Seattle & Portland, travelling around around 80 MPH with passengers aboard. Casulties have been reported by Amtrak, who were running the train.

BBC News
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote:... carriages flew off the track and onto a highway below.

BBC News
I like how BBC mentions it as "US Motorway" XD

Quite crazily, this seems to actually be the inaugural train. I hope they didn't cut too many corners off the old way (heheh).
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Redirect Left wrote:An inaugural run of a new high speed line in the States has gone horrendously wrong, after carriages flew off the track and onto a highway below.

The train in Washington state came off the track between Seattle & Portland, travelling around around 80 MPH with passengers aboard. Casulties have been reported by Amtrak, who were running the train.

BBC News
It seems the train struck a foreign object on the track. This particular line isn't HSR, but rather a line that has received newly refurbished track with a new service, of which this was the first.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Is this just a freak coincidence that the crash occurred during what is labelled a maiden run? As reported, they may have hit something on the track rather than simply derailing.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

With it being the first train on the new route (at least for Amtrak), it's entirely possible the driver just didn't know the route as well as it may have seemed when he was examined on the route. After all, if he learnt it quickly and took an exam on the route just after, it may be easier to remember, but if he then had a month away from the route, he could simply have forgotten the curves were there, although there was apparently a warning of the Speed Limit change around 2 miles before the change itself (according to the BBC), so perhaps there was another issue.

One thing to remember in such an incident is that it is easy to speculate, especially when we don't have the full picture. Humans by nature generally speculate, we just need to remain respectful.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It's not an HSR line, but it is a newly refurbished line that would allow for higher speeds. The train was running at 80 MPH when it derailed.

Local community leaders along the route had many outstanding questions about the safety of running trains this fast through their communities.

Also on Monday, an Amtrak train in Mesquite, Texas was struck by a semi truck hauling gravel. Two train cars caught fire, and the 44 passengers upon the Texas Eagle were uninjured. The train runs between San Antonio, Texas and Chicago, IL.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /78820050/
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

kamnet wrote:The train was running at 80 MPH when it derailed.
Yeah, was going on a 30MPH curve at 80MPH according to the rear engines data recorder.
At least 3 people are now known to have died, but authorities aren't ruling out that increasing, perhaps dramatically.

Train was 12 carriages long, seven vehicles were hit on the highway below - no fatalities from this as of yet.
Train was running on a section of track previously only used for freight.

BBC News & The Guardian.

Certainly a lot of questions over this accident.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote: Yeah, was going on a 30MPH curve at 80MPH according to the rear engines data recorder.

Train was running on a section of track previously only used for freight.

Certainly a lot of questions over this accident.
I've tried seeing the alignment over the map, and it seems like there are two sharp bends as the track passes over (changing side) the I-5 at the Olympia end of the "new" line. What's the maximum speed on the old line around that section ? Maybe driver was under illusion (which in any case should NOT have been the assumption when driving a train I guess) that the line's 80 mph the entire way, as the old line was around the place or so ?

Also, would we see some AWS or something in the US, finally ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

YNM wrote:
Redirect Left wrote: What's the maximum speed on the old line around that section ? Maybe driver was under illusion (which in any case should NOT have been the assumption when driving a train I guess) that the line's 80 mph the entire way, as the old line was around the place or so ?
I the rest of the line has a max speed of 79MPH according to an article, an article has also noted the correction to 30MPH sign was two miles before where the accident occured. (I'm not sure which articles noted these, probably BBC, Guardian or Metro. I've read articles on all 3 about the accident)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

After poking my nose in a coworkers rail magazine whilst at the station today, I read that Virgins Trains East Coast (VTEC) had their franchise termination brought forward, to MAR 2020. Instead of 2023.
Financial losses were cited as the reason, with Stagecoach (the 90% in the 10% Virgin named franchise) apparently suffering huge operating losses.

That ECML franchise is dogged with difficulties and financial losses apparently. Despite it being so busy, I guess everyone bids way too much, which the DfT never pick up on during the tendering process. I wonder if it'll fall back into public hands, similar to the National Distress situation.

Only source I could find, https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... gin-trains
I believe the magazine I read was Rail Technology Magazine, which have two articles on it http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/H ... ing-public -
http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/R ... st-bailout

I would have remembered more, but I finished at 15:00 and promptly walked out the door as soon as the clock struck 15:00:00 and promptly forgot that station, its passengers and all who work there existed. At least until I go back on 5th January.
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

So, for anyone that uses twitter to contact TOCs, you'll soon find me at the helm of VTEC's @Virgin_TrainsEC

That's right! I got a job with VTEC...until 2020 when it becomes someone new.
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”