Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Ameecher »

Chris wrote:
Pilot wrote:Of course, Northern have promised that they won't be cutting Pay or Jobs though, so I would imagine they will still keep someone on the train as something like a "Revenue Protection Officer" and remove their responsibilities towards the doors.
Yes, well forgive me for my cynicism, but these guarantees and promises are obviously designed to be betrayed in a few years. Reducing their responsibilities will result in a reduction in their pay packet.

What is the point of introducing DOO for the TOC in the first place if they genuinely will not reduce staff on trains or pay for those staff? They'll have to invest in the DOO equipment but won't make any financial saving.

In a few years the guard/conductor pay packet will be cut and the TOC will also have eroded the union's power as trains will be able to run with only the driver, thus preventing further significant strike action by the guards/conductors.
I doubt they'd go through the stress of making people redundant, they just won't recruit when people leave.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Well that's one heck of a step!
20170318_103721.jpg
(4.52 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Gotta love the Bakerloo Line... :P
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Has that step always been that off, or is it changing / new trains over the years? :P
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

It exists because the bakerloo trains call at national rail platforms on the DC lines out of Euston so if you remove that step them the overground trains weill have a big step instead.
Similar set up at places where district and Piccadilly line trains share platforms, e.g. Turnham Green.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Northerns refurbish has already run out of traction already it seems. The first few trains to come out were repainted and rather sexily done inside, new seat covers, carpet and changes to the lighting.

The latest few i've been on have been repainted with nothing else done except for what appeared to be a good mop, and a slight amount of repainting inside. One I was on over weekend had come out of the depot in such a hurry Northern hadn't bothered to re-affix any of the safety diagrams and instructions. Didn't think that was legal and trains needed that information...
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Redirect Left wrote:Northerns refurbish has already run out of traction already it seems. The first few trains to come out were repainted and rather sexily done inside, new seat covers, carpet and changes to the lighting.

The latest few i've been on have been repainted with nothing else done except for what appeared to be a good mop, and a slight amount of repainting inside. One I was on over weekend had come out of the depot in such a hurry Northern hadn't bothered to re-affix any of the safety diagrams and instructions. Didn't think that was legal and trains needed that information...
If they were Pacers, that's because they're all being retired in a few years.
Chris wrote:What is the point of introducing DOO for the TOC in the first place if they genuinely will not reduce staff on trains or pay for those staff? They'll have to invest in the DOO equipment but won't make any financial saving.
Because they have to; it's in the franchise agreement. Whoever won Northern has to introduce DOO. It's Southern all over again, but in the north. No point blaming the operator; the government made them do it.
Dave wrote:RL is right... the first trains had a brakeman in every carriage, a driver, a fireman...

This is just the final evolution before we see even the drivers off.

The railway has run on being more efficient for nearly 200 years.
I actually doubt that one; I went to a talk by a very senior railway boss last Wednesday. They can't see the driver being replaced with digital. We could get to the point where perhaps computers drive the train, but certainly not going driverless on National Rail. There would be too many false positives; how could you detect the difference between a human and a fox on the line for instance. Driverless works OK when you have a closed system (ie: some Asian metro lines that run entirely underground) or when it's operating at relatively low speeds (ie: DLR). But certainly not National Rail in its current form.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

JamieLei wrote: If they were Pacers, that's because they're all being retired in a few years.
No, a 150. I'm yet to see any Pacers be modified under the new franchise. I also still have doubts about the whole 'few year' stuff, still a big ask.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Redirect Left wrote:
JamieLei wrote: If they were Pacers, that's because they're all being retired in a few years.
No, a 150. I'm yet to see any Pacers be modified under the new franchise. I also still have doubts about the whole 'few year' stuff, still a big ask.
If it's mandated in the franchise agreement, it'll happen.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I'm guessing it also requires lots of things outside of Northerns control to occur, such as new trains being delivered, old units being cascaded, completion of overhead cabling to release diesels from electric routes etc.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Been a bit busy up North today it would seem... :P

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I sincerely hope that isn't real :p
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

I really wish it was! :lol:
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

That's the full capacity effect of Network Rail's Digital Railway plan in action!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

When ERTMS goes bananas...
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Look, it was my first day on the signal boxes and all those buttons and things can be kinda confusing. Just one minor mess and you never hear the end of it ...
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

JamieLei wrote:That's the full capacity effect of Network Rail's Digital Railway plan in action!
40% increase in capacity.

Until you get to a station.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Pyoro wrote:Look, it was my first day on the signal boxes and all those buttons and things can be kinda confusing.
That is almost exactly like my reaction when I first drove a 387.
"So many buttons... I want to push them all and see what happens!"
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote: "So many buttons... I want to push them all and see what happens!"
Well what's the worst that could possibly happen? I'm sure none of them detact the cab from the rest of the train, or ejector seat everyone into the sky!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:
Geo Ghost wrote: "So many buttons... I want to push them all and see what happens!"
Well what's the worst that could possibly happen? I'm sure none of them detact the cab from the rest of the train, or ejector seat everyone into the sky!
I'm sure the passengers would love an emergency brake application at 110mph :lol:

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”