Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

muiredachau
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by muiredachau »

Kev00 r u gonna change your pic when the xpt's get the NSW Trainslink Scheme because Countrylink and Cityrail no longer exist thanks to Gladys Berijiklian split RailCorp into Sydney Trains and NSW TrainsLink.

Just realised I've got the State Rail Intercity Livery XP as my pic. lol
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Aycliffe wrote:
A321Pilot wrote:
JamieLei wrote:Pretty much. And there's always a handful each morning - about a dozen getting on each train.
I'm guessing there's a more expensive fare when compared to similar routes?
Last time I checked it was about £3.80 single. Could be wrong.

St Pancras to Margate and back was £11.80 when I used it last, so its quite reasonable.
£3.90 would indeed be a Railcard single, rather than a full fare single. I remember paying £5.00 return from St Pancras to Stratford with a Railcard. However with a Railcard, it was £25.50 for a day return from Stratford to Ramsgate.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

muiredachau wrote:Kev00 r u gonna change your pic when the xpt's get the NSW Trainslink Scheme because Countrylink and Cityrail no longer exist thanks to Gladys Berijiklian split RailCorp into Sydney Trains and NSW TrainsLink.

Just realised I've got the State Rail Intercity Livery XP as my pic. lol
Probably not because I took the picture myself last time I was in Oz - in 2008! Didn't know they were reorganising things either.

On the planes issue, I was on a Finnair A340 from Helsinki to Beijing the other week and was very impressed.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Bit of a shocker for some London commuters earlier today, a bus caught fire and exploded.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/05/london-bu ... t-4935861/
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Extremely pissed off at the Manchester Metrolink tonight, my views on it can be found here:
https://twitter.com/A321_Pilot/status/5 ... 8664596481
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

The issue of refurbing old stock is a difficult one, for passengers often only perceive the quality of the interior environment and will have no perception about the state of the motor beneath. Although I know very little about the Metrolink (albeit I was on the Airport service yesterday), I would hesitate to say that they could simply just keep the T68s going for 'another 20 years' just like that...
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I have to admit I was surprised to hear that Manchester was getting rid of the T68s. Its true that trams can wear out quite quickly because of the intensity of use - but there are plenty of examples of light rail vehicles being around for a long time - the Tyne and Wear Metro has kept the same stock going, with overhauls, for more than 30 years. Sheffield shows no sign of replacing its first generation supertrams. Systems like Prague have kept their T3s going for ages. And in Blackpool, the Balloons lasted more than 70 years...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

JamieLei wrote:The issue of refurbing old stock is a difficult one
Yeah, I understand that, but by a re-furb, I didn't just mean on the interior, I meant the entirety of the Tram itself. Yes, looking back, maybe I should have said overhaul, but that's my mistake.

Thing with the T68s was that they were extremely reliable, I never really had any issues with the Metrolink until the M5000s arrived, and the new routes were added. The T68s seemed to be able to cope with almost anything, whilst the doors on the M5000s are constantly breaking, the traction motors on some of them sound like they need replacing already and they have less seats than the T68s. The T68s were also able to go quicker than the the M5000s are, having a superior bogie design, an example of this being between Dane Road and Stretford, where there is a speed restriction for the M5000s but not for the T68s.

In my opinion the T68s were superior in every way, and given the right attention and used in the correct manner, would complement the services run by the M5000s.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Kevo00 wrote:I have to admit I was surprised to hear that Manchester was getting rid of the T68s. Its true that trams can wear out quite quickly because of the intensity of use - but there are plenty of examples of light rail vehicles being around for a long time - the Tyne and Wear Metro has kept the same stock going, with overhauls, for more than 30 years. Sheffield shows no sign of replacing its first generation supertrams. Systems like Prague have kept their T3s going for ages. And in Blackpool, the Balloons lasted more than 70 years...
And the T&W metro refurbs are stated as being more expensive than a new build due to corrosion issues that weren't budgeted for.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Kevo00 wrote:I have to admit I was surprised to hear that Manchester was getting rid of the T68s.
Ditto on that one. I think they were retired far too soon, plenty of life left in them if they had taken good care of them and a bit of TLC. All of them are removed from service now, one is preserved.

Also, the T&W stock are falling apart. I think they possibly hadn't been given the care in their earlier lives than they should have been given, but as of now they're really bad, costing a fortune to put right as Ameecher stated above.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

From what I can gather, the Miles Per Casualty is 4 times greater for the T68s.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... er-7056688

Do you have any figures to back your claim of T68s being more reliable or just anecdotal evidence?
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Fair point, I may be somewhat wide of the mark with the T&W system.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

JamieLei wrote:From what I can gather, the Miles Per Casualty is 4 times greater for the T68s.
Whilst the T68s broke down more commonly, the M5000s had many more technical failures which wouldn't have been classed as a 'breakdown'. I also feel that the T68s would have had more breakdowns due to having less time for Maintenance, they took a beating all day every weekday, and rarely got a break except at weekends. There are a lot of spare M5000s currently, and will be even more when the last 20 are delivered.

I've used the Trams every day for the last 3-4 years, and I have had many more issues with the M5000s and T68s.
doxlulzem
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by doxlulzem »

It said on BBC news this morning that HS2 is causing "mental health issues" in people. How credible is that? I just think it's an overreaction
IJN Takao is life. Why did the Shinano get converted? Gotta love NeuroTec for Garry's Mod. I even have a server!
How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real? - Jaden Smith 2014
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

doxlulzem wrote:It said on BBC news this morning that HS2 is causing "mental health issues" in people. How credible is that? I just think it's an overreaction
Worry can lead to a lot of things.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Redirect Left wrote:
doxlulzem wrote:It said on BBC news this morning that HS2 is causing "mental health issues" in people. How credible is that? I just think it's an overreaction
Worry can lead to a lot of things.
Well, a massive great railway running past your house...what do you think?
doxlulzem
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by doxlulzem »

The best thing ever!!
IJN Takao is life. Why did the Shinano get converted? Gotta love NeuroTec for Garry's Mod. I even have a server!
How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real? - Jaden Smith 2014
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Does anyone on here have any idea why an ATW WAG set ran from Chester to Longsight Excursion Platform (via Manchester Piccadilly) and back today, around 1430-ish.
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Route training perhaps?
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Possibly, I didn't hear of any plans to send a WAG set down to Manchester before, though it could be a potential re-introduction of Loco-hauled services to Manchester.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”