Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Random Transport Chatter

Post by Redirect Left »

Because I think quite often, some things for discussion may not require an entire thread, so lets see if a single thread for all the smaller subjects of transport works, I think, think of it as the Thread of Randomness, for transport! :)

I'll start off with this, my local rail line has made it into BBC news, although for a rather dull reason of leaf-fall forcing a change to its timetables until December!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-29536098
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
doxlulzem
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by doxlulzem »

Anyone mentioned Arriva Sapphire yet? Such an improvement. It's on the comfort level of coaches IMO. What do you guys think? Have you ridden a sapphire bus yet?
http://www.arrivasapphire.co.uk
IJN Takao is life. Why did the Shinano get converted? Gotta love NeuroTec for Garry's Mod. I even have a server!
How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real? - Jaden Smith 2014
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

doxlulzem wrote:Anyone mentioned Arriva Sapphire yet? Such an improvement. It's on the comfort level of coaches IMO. What do you guys think? Have you ridden a sapphire bus yet?
http://www.arrivasapphire.co.uk
Sapphire? Huh? Lol
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Arriva Sapphire? Not heard of them, I'm guessing they are similar to Stagecoach Gold though?

One of those could do well on a Manchester to Chester route I think (maybe via Sale, Altrincham, Knutsford, Northwich and Frodsham)
doxlulzem
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by doxlulzem »

Wow. I thought the service was more well known. It's mostly in the North East. I'll have to check Stagecoach Gold, but I imagine they're similar.
IJN Takao is life. Why did the Shinano get converted? Gotta love NeuroTec for Garry's Mod. I even have a server!
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Sapphire isn't as good as Stagecoach Gold. No coach seats.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Not much Arriva in this hood. First dominate this area and they don't seem to bother with premium products, despite their premium prices.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I love the interior of the new tube trains that have been revealed, the front of them however looks silly and I hope that doesn't make it into the final model...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29520761

The new trains have also sparked up a debate amongst unions about driverless trains once again.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
doxlulzem
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by doxlulzem »

Redirect Left wrote:the front of them however looks silly and I hope that doesn't make it into the final model...
What are you on about? I think it looks sleek, for London. Certainly sleeker than anything I've seen up here. I only see Super Sprinters, Pacers, Desiros and IC 225s. In fact the sleekest loco from up here I've seen is the Adelante!
But we all have our own opinions, right?
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

I'm rather annoyed at Manchester Metrolink. On my journey to College this morning, the trams should have been every 6 mins, I turn up at the station and there was one due in 15 mins and one due in 16 mins. This is happening far too often, they need an actual timetable :evil:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

doxlulzem wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:the front of them however looks silly and I hope that doesn't make it into the final model...
What are you on about? I think it looks sleek, for London. Certainly sleeker than anything I've seen up here. I only see Super Sprinters, Pacers, Desiros and IC 225s.
It just look really really silly, if you ask me, and you get better trains than me, I live in the Penistone Line, SHF<->HUD, most common is 144, then 142, then infrequent 150 and very rare 158! I'd kill to have a desiro near me!
A321Pilot wrote:I'm rather annoyed at Manchester Metrolink. On my journey to College this morning, the trams should have been every 6 mins, I turn up at the station and there was one due in 15 mins and one due in 16 mins. This is happening far too often, they need an actual timetable :evil:
I went to Manchester a few week ago with a friend, the entire city centre was devoid of trams. It was very very eery without any tram horns tooting about the place, not sure what had happened to stop all the trains though, was a saturday too, busy busy! Any idea on that, if you're local? It truly felt weird without the trams!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:saturday too, busy busy! Any idea on that, if you're local?
They had probably shut the city centre of trams (again!), it happens every couple of weeks currently, partially to do with the remodeling of Deansgate-Castlefield, and partially to do with Victoria's new roof.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

A321Pilot wrote:I'm rather annoyed at Manchester Metrolink. On my journey to College this morning, the trams should have been every 6 mins, I turn up at the station and there was one due in 15 mins and one due in 16 mins. This is happening far too often, they need an actual timetable :evil:
Much in the spirit of previous posts, but at least you have a tram to take at all...

Which parts of Metrolink do you normally use?

Has anyone used the Edinburgh system yet?
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Kevo00 wrote:Which parts of Metrolink do you normally use?
Between Altrincham and the Etihad, with the odd journey up to Victoria (which has been shut since February)
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

A321Pilot wrote:
Kevo00 wrote:Which parts of Metrolink do you normally use?
Between Altrincham and the Etihad, with the odd journey up to Victoria (which has been shut since February)
Ah, I haven't been on the Ashton branch yet. I wonder if the operational side of the frenetic expansion has been thought through.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Kevo00 wrote:I wonder if the operational side of the frenetic expansion has been thought through.
Doubtful, they are trying to get a tram through the section between the 'Delta' and Cornbrook every 2 mins, and it doesn't work when having to contend with the traffic lights, and the single track through Victoria.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Single track is always going to be a capacity killer. Are they still having special signalling through the construction there?
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Kevo00 wrote:special signalling
I think each end of the section is manned, and they radio between each other whether there is a tram in the section, before clearing a tram to go. Much like when in a car, when one lane is shut and they are holding up one of those stop/go sign sticks.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Having real-time displays does not necessarily mean there isn't a timetable. The DLR for example has a proper timetable, as does the London Underground, but they're not particularly prominent to the public as a general frequency level is easier to communicate and understand. On the South West Trains suburban network for example, the CIS displays show times in minutes wait going into Waterloo (ie: 3 minutes), whereas it'll be the actual time going out since there are 8 different destinations. Of course, both directions are timetabled!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I would imagine trams are a little different if they have other variables like traffic built into their schedules.

Most London bus routes are classed high frequency, so the controller will "abandon" the timetable if it means providing an even service.

Can't help traffic. Buses bunch up and I imagine trams would too.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”