Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Geo Ghost

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Geo Ghost »

YNM wrote: 06 Mar 2021 15:05
Geo Ghost wrote: 27 Feb 2021 23:51Hold that thought...!
Interesting to see the planning involves speed limits in kph, unless noted. Is it to do with ETCS/ERTMS application ? Or just that all new designs are mandated to be in metric, but the displayed limits will be in imperial ? (which would be understandable as similar things are happening over in the US as well)
Honestly, no idea why it was in KPH :lol:
All the speeds will be MPH here anyway. Even under ETCS, I'm not sure if that switches to kph or remains at mph.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

ETCS is done in kph so it is in prep for that.
Removal of platform 10 is around pedestrian flow reasons, ironically the last year may put an end to the need for it but there are significant issues with emptying of two trains simultaneously on the island platform which slightly negates the reason for having two platforms anyway. Clearly there are track capacity benefits to an additional platform but safety has to come in to play too.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Ameecher wrote: 08 Mar 2021 23:18 Removal of platform 10 is around pedestrian flow reasons, ironically the last year may put an end to the need for it but there are significant issues with emptying of two trains simultaneously on the island platform which slightly negates the reason for having two platforms anyway. Clearly there are track capacity benefits to an additional platform but safety has to come in to play too.
I agree with the safety aspect to a point, however I believe it would be far safer and practical if train platforms aren't announced until the train has arrived into the platform, especially for the suburban's. The number of times I use to literally crawl in as people had piled onto the platform.. it was genuinely really worrying.
They'll regret losing that platform though when the NCL or/and the core go up the spout :P It's been bad enough before being stranded due to capacity issues.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

The view is that the more flexible throat offsets the loss of the platform as you can do more simultaneous arrivals and departures so you get a net increase in platforms, just means in disruption you will have to walk to the other end faster. Just put the lid on your Thermos so as not to spill your tea!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Ameecher wrote: 09 Mar 2021 11:12 just means in disruption you will have to walk to the other end faster.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Not a chance!
6-minute turn arounds are bad enough :mrgreen:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Ameecher wrote: 08 Mar 2021 23:18ETCS is done in kph so it is in prep for that.
So expect more speed limit roundels in white-on-black, or are they going to completely go away too due to ETCS L2 on-board speed limit info ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

A train derailed and crashed into buffers in Merseyside, England, with the unit also clipping the underside of a bridge in the process. With no reported injuries, other than an ancient Class 507 having an early retirement.

It will be interesting to see what happened here, it's a rare event for this to occur in the UK, and I don't recall the last time anything on the Merseyrail network going wrong at all in the past.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote: 14 Mar 2021 13:28 It will be interesting to see what happened here, it's a rare event for this to occur in the UK, and I don't recall the last time anything on the Merseyrail network going wrong at all in the past.
I'd like to hope it was perhaps very poor rail adhesion on approach making a collision inevitable. But looking at how far it went and the whack it took...
More likely sounds like driver error, loss of situational awareness or something perhaps. I, of course, really hope it isn't something like that.
Glad at least there were no major injuries and everyone is alright. That unit is definitely a write off though :P

Incidents aren't as rare as you may think however. Just a lot of the time they are relatively small enough to go unreported outside companies. A lot of the time it's usually things happening in yards like derailments, bumps, etc.
There was a Cross Country Voyager which split the points in a yard a couple of months ago in a very impressive manner. Ended up going sideways!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote: 14 Mar 2021 15:12That unit is definitely a write off though :P
to my knowledge they're all planned to be replaced within the next 6-18 month anyway, so, I don't think it'll hurt Merseyrail too badly rolling stock wise.
Geo Ghost wrote: 14 Mar 2021 15:12 Incidents aren't as rare as you may think however. Just a lot of the time they are relatively small enough to go unreported outside companies. A lot of the time it's usually things happening in yards like derailments, bumps, etc.
There was a Cross Country Voyager which split the points in a yard a couple of months ago in a very impressive manner. Ended up going sideways!
I try to keep up with general train stuff, I'm in far many too many facebook groups, so not much slips by, although admittedly the Voyager going sideways has escaped me.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote: 14 Mar 2021 16:42I try to keep up with general train stuff, I'm in far many too many facebook groups, so not much slips by, although admittedly the Voyager going sideways has escaped me.
Hold that thought...
143504870_3776291595770046_7355689611924149247_n.jpg
143504870_3776291595770046_7355689611924149247_n.jpg (112.62 KiB) Viewed 31131 times
144726048_455216518822897_7583540042768573173_n.jpg
144726048_455216518822897_7583540042768573173_n.jpg (82.24 KiB) Viewed 31131 times
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote: 14 Mar 2021 17:04
Redirect Left wrote: 14 Mar 2021 16:42I try to keep up with general train stuff, I'm in far many too many facebook groups, so not much slips by, although admittedly the Voyager going sideways has escaped me.
Hold that thought...

Well, will be a while before I see that whizzing past Wakefield Westgate en route to Plymouth then!
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Geo Ghost wrote:
Hold that thought...
West Coast, not XC as it was at Polmadie, Glasgow. Took out some OLE stanchions as well. Could have been very nasty.

Can't see the unit at Kirkby heing repaired, it was due to go to the scrappy soon anyway!

ETCS boards at Kings Cross, no idea on that. I would assume that it stays as mph for now but when ETCS level 2 signals away comes in, the speed boards will be removed rather than replaced with kph ones.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

As i'm sure we're all aware of now, a large barge has got itself wedged sideways in the Suez Canal in Egypt. It's now estimated this is blocking about $9.6 BILLION of goods per day, with at least 150 vessels now awaiting a clear path through. If anyone bought oil whilst prices were super low, you're pretty much in the money now though, with those prices skyrocketing due to this.

If this ends up a legal issue with suing and such, I suspect the Japanese company which owns the barge is in deep trouble. Any thoughts here from others on this mess?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

It's not a barge, it's a 20,000+ TEUs ship.

IMO most of the resulting problems are going to be solved among the ship (and canal) insurers - doubt anyone actually involved with handling the ship would get any sort of blame or having to cover the actual costs by themselves. Reason for grounding was reportedly due high winds aka. it's probably not a mistake in the operations or something (I mean they went ahead and let the convoy go ahead and stuff). Unless one of those is found that's actually beyond the legal requirements (you'd be surprised how few regulations exist for shipping) I really suspect this would just be bore by the insurers and that's about it.

At most this would be in the footnote of how to make container ships more resistant to weather and/or perhaps the effect of wind to ships on the canal (either wind breaks or limit on the CoG perhaps).
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

I can't get over how many memes have been made because of that barge.. and that someone made an EverGiven simulator involving getting a ship stuck.

The internet ladies and gentleman :mrgreen:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

The owner of the ship has apparently declared General Average, ie. any and all cost and damages to be born by them from salvage operations, canal operator(s) and other parties will be divided evenly among those that had interest in the ship (so both owners of the ship and the cargo owners).

Article :
[+] Spoiler
Lengthy Wait for Cargo as Ever Given Owner Declares General Average

As the investigation into the grounding of the Ever Given in the Suez Canal begins, the vessel’s Japanese owner, Shoe Kisen, this morning declared General Average.

And a customer circular from Evergreen, seen by The Loadstar, confirms that Shoe Kisen this morning appointed Richard Hogg Lindley as adjustor.

For the vessel, now at anchor at the Bitter Lakes area undergoing technical inspections, a possible date of departure to ports of discharge has yet to be set.

And while there is no reported damage to the cargo, and that to the vessel appeared to be minimal, the cost of the salvage operation, which ultimately required 11 tugs and two dredgers, as well as possible compensation claims from a variety of interests such as the Suez Canal Authority or shipping companies caught up in the backlog, could amount to a sizeable bill.

In addition, it remains unclear whether there will be a separate salvage claim from the vessel’s salvors.

While the backlog of vessels waiting to transit Suez is now expected to be cleared over the next couple of days, shippers and freight forwarders with cargo on the Ever Given could be in for a long wait for it to be released.

The problem for cargo interests, according to insurance sources, is that the cost of the casualty to its owners is likely to take some time to determine, if it involves claims from other parties, which means the adjustors will remain unable to fix the level of the general average and salvage securities.

The last time General Average was declared was following the 2018 fire on board the Maersk Honam. After declaring GA, the adjustor fixed the salvage security at 42.5% of cargo value and 11.5% as a GA deposit – this meant a shipper with a cargo worth $100,000 needed to pay a combined deposit of $54,000 to get its cargo released.

This leaves shippers with uninsured cargo highly vulnerable to losing it, as the owner can hold the goods under lien until the deposit is paid. Shippers with insured goods will have those deposits covered by their insurers.

According to panellists on a recent webinar on container casualties, held by the London Shipping Law Centre, GA is only declared in incidents which have incurred an extraordinary loss – the general rule of thumb being a loss of over £10m on a ship of 15,000 teu or bigger.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

YNM wrote: 12 Apr 2021 11:05 The owner of the ship has apparently declared General Average, ie. any and all cost and damages to be born by them from salvage operations, canal operator(s) and other parties will be divided evenly among those that had interest in the ship (so both owners of the ship and the cargo owners).
Well that seems an awfully convenient clause a ship in trouble can use to spread the costs better!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Random note.. haunted trains are real. I had a cursed one at the weekend that properly spooked me out at one point in the yard!
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Geo Ghost wrote: 13 Apr 2021 11:18 Random note.. haunted trains are real. I had a cursed one at the weekend that properly spooked me out at one point in the yard!
What was spooky about it?
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”