Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Redirect Left »

Dave wrote: Love that the signal is still showing a red aspect!
Which is where the problem lies! (Except for the whole falling over thing), signal remained working, so there was no break in the system to produce a fault alert!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

A321Pilot wrote:I'm looking into doing a 7-Day all-line Rail Rover either over Christmas, or sometime in the summer. Anyone have any ideas of where I should go (I'll be starting in Manchester)
Freedom of the Severn and Solent!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote:
Dave wrote: Love that the signal is still showing a red aspect!
Which is where the problem lies! (Except for the whole falling over thing), signal remained working, so there was no break in the system to produce a fault alert!
No reason why there should be any change.
If all the cables are still attached, then no one would assume otherwise. Since the post is painted too, it means the track circuit won't pick it up as something occupying the line either.

I've heard a story of a signal falling over once into someone's backyard. The house holder reported it to someone as "I think one of your traffic lights is in my garden and it keeps flashing."
Apparently it was still changing aspect every time a train passed :P

Full credit for it being pretty robust! Being hit by a train at +100mph, and still more or less in shape and working.
I'm assuming this to be the case since I can't imagine they turned out to take photos before a train hit the signal :P
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

A321Pilot wrote:I'm looking into doing a 7-Day all-line Rail Rover either over Christmas, or sometime in the summer. Anyone have any ideas of where I should go (I'll be starting in Manchester)
If you go in the spring or summer, go round Scotland. Up the West Highland, through Skye, along the Kyle Line, up the Far North, and back down the East Coast. Maybe do the Whitby line on the way back.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Geo Ghost wrote: No reason why there should be any change.
If all the cables are still attached, then no one would assume otherwise. Since the post is painted too, it means the track circuit won't pick it up as something occupying the line either.
Especially seeing as this is axle counter controlled territory!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Does anyone know if these can be purchased onboard trains, the NRE page seems to not specify, South Pennines Day Ranger.
Looking to go out and about and get some pictures!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Redirect Left wrote:Does anyone know if these can be purchased onboard trains, the NRE page seems to not specify, South Pennines Day Ranger.
If you're boarding at an unmanned railway station, then I don't see why not.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:Does anyone know if these can be purchased onboard trains, the NRE page seems to not specify, South Pennines Day Ranger.
I bought a WY Rail Rover on the Train once, so I don't think there is much of an issue, and if you do live at an unmanned station without machines, I'm sure that they will allow you to do so.
Kevo00 wrote:If you go in the spring or summer, go round Scotland. Up the West Highland, through Skye, along the Kyle Line, up the Far North, and back down the East Coast. Maybe do the Whitby line on the way back.
Definitely looking at going up to Wick/Thurso, but I don't think that I'd be able to do both this line and the Kyle line in one day and be back for the sleeper down. Whitby line sounds like a good idea, though I could end up doing that some other time, depends on whether I end up on the East Coast some time.
JamieLei wrote:Freedom of the Severn and Solent!
Looks like quite a decent area, and I've not been round there too much either, definitely something to think about.

Anyone know if FGW still do that early morning HST out of Fishguard, can't seem to find it on Realtime.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Why not stay a couple of nights in a hostel up there? That's how I used to travel around. You'd have to be mad to attempt Manchester-Wick and return in a day, surely!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Kevo00 wrote:You'd have to be mad to attempt Manchester-Wick and return in a day, surely!
I'd probably go up to Inverness one night and spend the day after up there and go up to Wick, it'd be a bit of a waste to spend two days of seven day ticket up there in my opinion.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Geo Ghost wrote:Full credit for it being pretty robust! Being hit by a train at +100mph, and still more or less in shape and working.
I'm assuming this to be the case since I can't imagine they turned out to take photos before a train hit the signal :P
I hadn't seen this, but to clarify - the signal fouled both the down line (obviously) and the up line. The signal was struck by an up HST. The signal looks pretty intact there, sure... What you don't see is that it used to have a feather indicator on top!!!!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I can assure you that there is absolutely nothing to see in Wick but your choice!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

A close call at an R/R crossing has led to a tool being give a ban on driving.
http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/07/tense-cct ... d-4977774/

Nor sure if its because I'm not from the area, or if its the naff colors on the image, but I can't make out the livery, and i'm unsure of the train model, perhaps a 153 / 55? roof doesn't seem curvy enough to be a 156, and the rest doesn't match for 150/8/9
Dave

Post by Dave »

Arriva Trains Wales 153...

Flickr

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

..oh right it says Shropshire & Shrewsbury in the article, haha. That is indeed the give away
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bucknell is very close to the Welsh border on the Heart of Wales line.

Flickr

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Is there any sort of map of the UK network that is color co-ordinated or similar to what franchises run where? Just interested to see some sort of visual representation of how big some franchises are compared to others, be also nice if the stations were colored to similarly indicate who runs them, it seems some franchises (cough Northern) are responsible for a huge portion more than most other franchises.
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Yes; they're available on the national rail website.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_ ... /maps.aspx
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

EXTspotter wrote:Yes; they're available on the national rail website.

Ah thanks, didn't expect National Rail to do things like that, was expecting it to be fan done things.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote:
EXTspotter wrote:Yes; they're available on the national rail website.

Ah thanks, didn't expect National Rail to do things like that, was expecting it to be fan done things.
I use it all the time. Very handy thing.
Especially when playing Guess The British Station ;)

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”