Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Redirect Left »

A rail drivers life in the Netherlands may have been saved, by... a giant whale!
A metro train over-ran barriers at De Akkers station on the Rotterdam Metro, with the leading carriage, including the driver, being propped up on the end of a giant sculpture of a whale tail. Preventing the carriage, and the driver, from crashing to the pavement or possibly water, below.

Sources: BBC News, Dutch News.nl

Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Ganna need more than a change of underwear after that...

I'm still incredibly impressed as to how it gained enough air-time to land like that!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

A satirical Dutch newssite mentioned the driver applied for a job at KLM (Royal Dutch Airlines) after hearing what pilots earned before they had to accept a cut in their salaries for the next 5 years.

When they removed the metro wagon they had to fill up a ditch, cut some trees and evacuated two homes in case the cranes would tip (they sometimes do in our beautiful country).
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Hyronymus wrote: 05 Nov 2020 19:47When they removed the metro wagon they had to fill up a ditch, cut some trees and evacuated two homes in case the cranes would tip (they sometimes do in our beautiful country).
I mean why would you move loads sideways through such a narrow barge with a crane on the barge itself ? Couldn't they find something to take it from solid land, or at least to make sure the barge is resisting rolling by touching the canal walls ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Hyronymus wrote: 05 Nov 2020 19:47 When they removed the metro wagon they had to fill up a ditch, cut some trees and evacuated two homes in case the cranes would tip (they sometimes do in our beautiful country).
It's quite alarming how often cranes do themselves in, it's happened numerous times here in the UK too, such as https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53751145 - this is the most recent one where someone was killed, whose home the crane collapsed onto.

Also in the news, Boeings 737 MAX has been cleared to take to the skies again, after over a year being grounded.

I hope nothing has seized up in the mechanics of the planes whilst spending 18 month on the ground!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote: 23 Nov 2020 13:43 I hope nothing has seized up in the mechanics of the planes whilst spending 18 month on the ground!
Think it takes more than that. It's quite common for aircraft to be stored for very long periods of time on the ground or in storage.
Hell, this year has shown that for sure!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote: 23 Nov 2020 13:43I hope nothing has seized up in the mechanics of the planes whilst spending 18 month on the ground!
They're run every week - not up to flying, but just checking if everything still works, engines hydraulic electrics everything.

One thing sure however is that there'll be modification done to them (if not already).
Geo Ghost wrote: 30 Oct 2020 18:44Anyone seen the Midland Pullman HST?First I've heard about it today, and does look bloody swish!
Recently ran across this footage (look at 5:47) :

I like the idea of bringing them back with the HSTs.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Look! A famous former-mod! :mrgreen:
https://youtu.be/Be0u3hdWagA
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Nordic Dragon wrote: 02 Dec 2020 14:51 Look! A famous former-mod! :mrgreen:
https://youtu.be/Be0u3hdWagA
I miss Andel! Not seen him around for quite a while.
Great to see him and how much better the accessibility is becoming, though I do wonder how he coped with a whole day with Geoff Marshall :lol:

Second attempt to post. First time I accidentally edited Nordic's post instead of quoting it! :mrgreen:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Andel has now outdone me for appearences on Geoff Marshells channel. I've only been in one of his, the one with making a human tube map, i'm one of the central line peeps in it. Andel has done a few now. Good to see he's still active and doing railway stuff!
Geo Ghost wrote: 03 Dec 2020 11:53 Second attempt to post. First time I accidentally edited Nordic's post instead of quoting it! :mrgreen:
Well that's a bouquet of oopsy daisys!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote: 03 Dec 2020 13:09 Andel has now outdone me for appearences on Geoff Marshells channel. I've only been in one of his, the one with making a human tube map, i'm one of the central line peeps in it. Andel has done a few now. Good to see he's still active and doing railway stuff!
I was in the background of the photos chatting to him at Hertford. Wanted to say hi to the guy and have a chat. Friendly enough but... very strange vibe. Maybe a tad socially awkward, but I got a weird impression from him which I can't quite describe.

Geoff that is, not Andel! :P
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote: 03 Dec 2020 13:46 I was in the background of the photos chatting to him at Hertford. Wanted to say hi to the guy and have a chat. Friendly enough but... very strange vibe. Maybe a tad socially awkward, but I got a weird impression from him which I can't quite describe.
Oh really? I found him a really pleasant and genuine guy, same for Vicki, minus the guy part obviously. Even if she did spend most of the afternoon shouting through a megaphone. Geoff was also kind enough to let my then partner take a photo of us. Was really a lovely day out, although us red shirts were chosen to go first and build up the middle bit of the map, so we had a lot of standing around whilst everyone else was put into shape around us. Every one there was also nothing short of pleasant and a great person to chat to whilst you're standing around, and after we all had a drink and some snacks in a group before we filtered off for the day. I had a short conversation with both Geoff & Vicki, really down to earth about everything I found. I keep my eye on Geoffs twitter in case he puts out another call to arms to help in a video, as that's how he got about 200 of us in a field for a day for the London Map.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote: 03 Dec 2020 14:32 Oh really? I found him a really pleasant and genuine guy, same for Vicki, minus the guy part obviously. Even if she did spend most of the afternoon shouting through a megaphone. Geoff was also kind enough to let my then partner take a photo of us. Was really a lovely day out, although us red shirts were chosen to go first and build up the middle bit of the map, so we had a lot of standing around whilst everyone else was put into shape around us. Every one there was also nothing short of pleasant and a great person to chat to whilst you're standing around, and after we all had a drink and some snacks in a group before we filtered off for the day. I had a short conversation with both Geoff & Vicki, really down to earth about everything I found. I keep my eye on Geoffs twitter in case he puts out another call to arms to help in a video, as that's how he got about 200 of us in a field for a day for the London Map.
I could have caught him on a strange day i guess. I know a few people who REALLY don't like him and have had bad experiences, Then contrary, others like yourself have had very pleasant ones.
Guess I'm kinda in the middle. :mrgreen:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote: 03 Dec 2020 15:14 I know a few people who REALLY don't like him and have had bad experiences,
That's sad to read, hopefully they don't go around spreading stuff about it all.

In transport news though, Northern have run their final pacer*
https://www.lep.co.uk/news/transport/no ... ey-3051031
I may be alone, I do love the Pacers, and I really will miss seeing them and riding them. After 10 years living on the Penistone line, I really came to appreciate the 142 & 144s for what they are.

*officially, i suspect they'll keep a few to do ad-hoc stuff if a train breaks down, i'd be very surprised if they truly have run the last one for Northern.
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

I'm probably one of the few that still enjoy a Pacer on the West Wales routes then :lol:
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Kings Cross is getting ready to go into its first of two long-term partial shut-downs as part of the remodelling works.
I done a course a couple of weeks ago about the changes and overall, it looks really damn good! Improvement in many areas but the only thing that baffles me is the removal of Platform 10.

They'll come to regret that when the NCL and the core both go up poop creek together :mrgreen:

All in all, some exciting things to come! Looking forward to seeing the Eastern Bore of Gasworks Tunnel brought back into use :D
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote: 27 Feb 2021 22:13 Kings Cross is getting ready to go into its first of two long-term partial shut-downs as part of the remodelling works.
I done a course a couple of weeks ago about the changes and overall, it looks really damn good! Improvement in many areas but the only thing that baffles me is the removal of Platform 10.

They'll come to regret that when the NCL and the core both go up poop creek together :mrgreen:

All in all, some exciting things to come! Looking forward to seeing the Eastern Bore of Gasworks Tunnel brought back into use :D
I'm looking forward to a few London based new things coming up. Will definitely be riding the Kennington to Battersea portion of the new Northern Line extension, although reduces the chances of ever riding the Kennington loop. I've not seen any plans for the Kings Cross stuff, just LNER deciding I need a dozen emails reminding me I can't travel to Kings Cross for a while as easily as before.I kinda hope they renumber the platforms, 'Platform 0' just sounds odd as a numbered platform.
I've never really been a fan of Kings Cross, the design seems odd, and the refurbishments seem to usually just be "lets tack this on somewhere and not really blend it in at all with the surrounding stuff or original building". I miss the days of living somewhere where getting a train to Manchester and then down to Euston was decently priced, but now I live directly on the East Coast Mainline it's always cheaper to go through Kings Cross.

Been a while since I have been able to get down south to do more miles on tracks there and spot some trains, although my first trip will probably straight through London down to Brighton and see some people I've not seen for far too long!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote: 27 Feb 2021 22:58 I've not seen any plans for the Kings Cross stuff, just LNER deciding I need a dozen emails reminding me I can't travel to Kings Cross for a while as easily as before.I kinda hope they renumber the platforms, 'Platform 0' just sounds odd as a numbered platform.
Hold that thought...!
60354148_455767201903055_7887052615505149952_n.jpg
60354148_455767201903055_7887052615505149952_n.jpg (27.39 KiB) Viewed 44835 times
Only platform 11 is getting renumbered to 10. It's a bit pointless to renumber all the platforms as it means changing all the signage, computers, modifying the signalling to display the amended numbers, updating all the PIDS systems etc. Too much effort for too little benefit :P
The signalling layout is going to be SO much better though! Allows stuff to flow so much better through the area and with less restrictions. Looking forward to it!

I personally really like Kings Cross. Easy to navigate, lots of open space, plenty of places to get food etc. Has a really nice feel to it. St Pancras looks the most amazing station, but it's a bugger to get up and down!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote: 27 Feb 2021 23:51Too much effort for too little benefit :P
This probably explains why Huddersfield still has platforms 1, 2, 4(A/B), 5, 6 & 8, only a few decade after Platforms 3 & 7 disappeared.

I've looked up the redevelopment pages on varying 'official' websites, looks like it should make it a lot less complex for trains to navigate around the junction immediately before the station.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Geo Ghost wrote: 27 Feb 2021 23:51Hold that thought...!
Interesting to see the planning involves speed limits in kph, unless noted. Is it to do with ETCS/ERTMS application ? Or just that all new designs are mandated to be in metric, but the displayed limits will be in imperial ? (which would be understandable as similar things are happening over in the US as well)
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”