Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote:
Pilot wrote:Fortunately, London Vic looks better than Man Vic!
Wait wait wait... what?!
At least the roof doesn't collapse on London Victoria when it uh... rains? Perhaps they confused Manchester with somewhere... a lot drier than Manchester is.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Geo Ghost wrote:
Pilot wrote:Fortunately, London Vic looks better than Man Vic!
Wait wait wait... what?!
Man Vic is still half covered in a massive Concrete thing called the Manchester Arena, the rest of it has the aforementioned collapsing plastic roof.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

A plane carrying 81 people has crashed in a mountainous area in Colombia whilst approaching Medellín, with reports of at least 6 survivors. The plane, a British Aerospace 146 flying for the Bolivian airliner LaMia, reported electrical faults shortly before the crash.
The plane was carrying a 'top Brazilian football team', Associação Chapecoense de Futebol, usually referred to as simply Chapecoense. Early reports say at least 2 of the 6 survivors are from the team.

BBC News
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Train and track operations are to be 'reunited' in England, in a rail revamp that'll start at the next franchise renewal, and continue as each franchise renews.

The transport secretary has said he wants each franchise to be run by joint management teams, including representatives from both Network Rail & the train operating company.

However, the secretary of the RMT union is concerned that it is the start of a slope back to privatisation and the break up of Network Rail, saying the union was 'deeply concerned' over the plans.
His words being "We don't want to go back to the days of [rail disasters] Hatfield and Potters Bar - that's what happens when you get the private sector in charge of our infrastructure."
Seems a bit of a strong implication!

BBC News.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

You might recognise these buses if you've ever played Fernbus.
Attachments
20161210_110443.jpg
(4.79 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

It has just taken me one minute to pass through security at Rome's Fiumicino Airport. I was amazed!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So, due to Air Pollution, Paris decided to offer people free public transport today. A brilliant idea. Except for when you're having a strike, and therefore running a reduced service... Good Job Paris! :lol:
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

This story cravked me up today... Indonesian bus horns!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-38391207
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So a Family member asked me to price up a trip to London for them between Christmas and New Year, so I looked at flights, that can be cheaper a lot of the time. This is the cheapest that I've found. Absolutely crazy prices!
Flight Prices.png
Flight Prices.png (33.49 KiB) Viewed 463 times
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Pilot wrote:So a Family member asked me to price up a trip to London for them between Christmas and New Year, so I looked at flights, that can be cheaper a lot of the time. This is the cheapest that I've found. Absolutely crazy prices!
Flight Prices.png
For that price I think I'd rather walk...
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Pilot wrote:So a Family member asked me to price up a trip to London for them between Christmas and New Year, so I looked at flights, that can be cheaper a lot of the time. This is the cheapest that I've found. Absolutely crazy prices!

Flight Prices.png
Jesus christ! You could take your family first class on the train for less than that.
Come to think of it, even a taxi would be cheaper!

Go Virgin! ;)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Nordic Dragon wrote:This story cravked me up today... Indonesian bus horns!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-38391207
:lol: :lol: I don't know foreigners would also be carried away THAT fast ! Thanks .net !

It's just some loud horns with tones on it (often resembling songs, or are capable to. Don't ask how do they operate it). Been here since the dawn of the usage of modern buses on intercity routes with some modifications, I suppose ? Only lately people start to pick it up. Much like what often happen to our country's folk music songs : born a lot of years before widely known.
Flight Prices.png
You better hitchhike.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

With the delay of electrification to northern routes, it seems Northern & Porterbrook are working together to create an Electro-Diesel Multiple Unit, by converting Class 319s.

Railway Gazette
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Geo Ghost wrote:

Flight Prices.png
Go Virgin! ;)
Even better... Go XC and Chiltern via Oxford! :D
YNM wrote:
Flight Prices.png
You better hitchhike.
Train shall do the job nicely thanks! :P
Redirect Left wrote:With the delay of electrification to northern routes, it seems Northern & Porterbrook are working together to create an Electro-Diesel Multiple Unit, by converting Class 319s.

Railway Gazette
It's only the Windermere branch that is delayed isn't it? I imagine this could be more useful for, for example, Manchester Airport - Barrow-in-Furness Services. Under wires as far as Carnforth, then Diesel onto Barrow.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Okay, so I'm going to be in London, and spending a few days travelling, and I have an Oyster Card, so may as well use it. However, I'm aware that an Oyster Card has a time limit from when you tap in. So what I want to know is whether or not I'm able to tap in and out on the platform without worrying about busting this time limit, and not having to mess about entering and exiting the station every time.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Pilot wrote:Okay, so I'm going to be in London, and spending a few days travelling, and I have an Oyster Card, so may as well use it. However, I'm aware that an Oyster Card has a time limit from when you tap in. So what I want to know is whether or not I'm able to tap in and out on the platform without worrying about busting this time limit, and not having to mess about entering and exiting the station every time.
Generally you're fine for 90 minutes or less. The maximum time limit increases with the number of zones passed through.
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/o ... rney-times

If you're off cranking, as long as you spend a few minutes outside of the station at each terminus (ie: go and buy a bottle of Coke from the local shop), then you should be on safe ground. Else, buy a paper Travelcard and you'll have no worries.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

You should try a Moorgate to Ally Pally train... that a certain someone might be driving ;) haha.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

JamieLei wrote:Else, buy a paper Travelcard and you'll have no worries.
I've got a lot of tight connections, that don't really help with the leaving station stuff. How much extra is a paper travelcard when compared with Oyster?
Geo Ghost wrote:You should try a Moorgate to Ally Pally train... that a certain someone might be driving ;) haha.
Looking at the plan that I've put together, I shan't be heading that way. But plans can always change! :lol:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

During today, I have been past 7 transport locations, Wakefield Westgate, Wakefield Bus Station, Dewsbury Bus Station, Huddersfield Rail & Bus Station, Batley Bus Station & Bradford Interchange.
Now that in itself isn't all that fascinating, although it does show a lot of my day was wasted moving.
But in all locations, the station was fully illuminated, all lights were turned on as if it was a normal day, furthermore the display boards, where visible, were active, although frozen at "Please refer to the timetables" (bus stations) and "Welcome to X Station" (rail station platform displays) which is basically shorthand for "There is nothing running, or at least nothing that is due to arrive here within a decent timeframe". Throughout West Yorkshire, the last passenger trains departed between 18:00 and 21:30 on Christmas Eve, with services not resuming until the morning of 27th Dec, so a long time for everything to be idle. Same for the buses.

God knows how much money and electricity has been wasted amongst these facilities that no doubt are footed by bus & train fare payers. If all these were active, i'd assume its probably not limited to here and nationwide...
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Stations closed to passenger service don't necessarily mean they're not being used; Christmas and Boxing Day are traditionally used to do a lot of heavy maintenance as it's the longest possession time available in the year.

But perhaps more likely, the lights are kept on to deter crime and antisocial behaviour; after all, if the lights are off, the CCTV can't work. Also, although lighting is the most visible (wheeey!) form of energy consumption, it's very small compared to traction and heating (which would be turned off).
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”