Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Dave

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Dave »

Pilot wrote:
Dave wrote:
Pilot wrote: Odd maybe, no doubt a useful one however, I don't know how much freight comes from Anglia to the MML, however, as I found out today, the alternative without Junction Road Jn (and the GOBLIN as a whole) is rather stupid!
So the West to north connection avoiding Willesden on to the yard not good for you? ;)
Last I checked Anglia was to the East :wink: Was trying to get from Broxbourne onto the MML, so ended up going to London Fields, reverse, through Highbury + Islington, Gospel Oak and Willesden Jn to Acton Wells Jn, then reverse and straight away to the MML via Dudding Hill Jn (I imagine this is the connection you were meaning?). Could have gone via Stratford (Lea Valleys onto the NLL), but that was just adding time.

(Unless, I've completely missed another (more obvious) alternative :oops: )
Some engineering trains can and do take the Lea Valley west line to Seven Sisters, use the chord onto the GOBLIN at a SoTo and reverse once, rather than twice.

Alternatively you can turn the train at Stratford - south through the station, west onto the NLL and then immediately turn north at Channelsea Jn to head back north to South Tottenham Jn without a reverse.

As busy as Stratford is, that side of the station is fairly quiet, so if you could slot it in amongst the NLL overground stoppers, you'd be grand.

This seems like a pointless endeavour, but London planners have been finding weird and wonderful ways of getting trains to places without reversing since forever.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

I'm trying to add in VTEC on my London scenario but I'm struggling to work out which routes use HSTs and which use their Class 90/91 sets. Does anyone know if there is a set route assignment they have or whether it's not that simple?!

My educated guess would be that their Scotland routes use the 90/91s.

Please and thank you.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Class 91 (90 used as a filler for out of use 91s): Newcastle to King's Cross, Edinburgh to King's Cross (fast), Leeds to King's Cross, York to King's Cross, Glasgow Central to King's Cross. HSTs : Edinburgh to King's Cross (slow), Aberdeen to King's Cross, Hull to King's Cross, Inverness to King's Cross, Harrogate to King's Cross.
Disclaimer: this is by no means an exhaustive list. I have got this information from: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/ ... wtt&toc=GR
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

I've not used the train much in the last few years but some of the Leeds services used to be scheduled with HSTs (even though it's all under the wires), purely because there aren't enough 91s
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

In reality, HSTs can do any of the VTEC routes. It's not uncommon for them to replace what would have been booked as an electric service :)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

HSTs are also used on the Lincolns, Hulls, Harrogates, Sunderlands and Stirlings, whilst the 91s also do Newarks, Bradford FS and Skiptons.

I believe VTEC also do a Leeds to Aberdeen train, which is again a HST (for obvious reasons).
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Thank you everyone. My eerily quiet Kings Cross will appreciate a few more trains!
Network Rail, 7th Nov 2022.png
Network Rail, 7th Nov 2022.png (218.48 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

SwissFan91 wrote:Thank you everyone. My eerily quiet Kings Cross will appreciate a few more trains!
Network Rail, 7th Nov 2022.png
I like it! Even if the point work isn't the same as the real thing :P
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Pilot wrote:HSTs are also used on the Lincolns, Hulls, Harrogates, Sunderlands and Stirlings, whilst the 91s also do Newarks, Bradford FS and Skiptons.

I believe VTEC also do a Leeds to Aberdeen train, which is again a HST (for obvious reasons).
If I remember rightly that was only ever an Aberdeen to Leeds. Essentially a positioning move to get the HST back to Neville Hill - I don't recall a. reverse working.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Ameecher wrote:
Pilot wrote:HSTs are also used on the Lincolns, Hulls, Harrogates, Sunderlands and Stirlings, whilst the 91s also do Newarks, Bradford FS and Skiptons.

If I remember rightly that was only ever an Aberdeen to Leeds. Essentially a positioning move to get the HST back to Neville Hill - I don't recall a. reverse working.
The Leeds to Aberdeen run is 1S03, seems to stop everywhere that VTEC serve on the route as well.
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Yep I got on the Leeds>Aberdeen on the way up to the forums meet in Glasgow a few years back. Don't recall it being all shacks though.. maybe rosetinted memory!
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Geo Ghost wrote: I like it! Even if the point work isn't the same as the real thing :P
Haha! BUT WHERE'S PLATFORMS 9-11?

Get a rogue East Midlands Trains HST in there to do the Hull services!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

JamieLei wrote: Haha! BUT WHERE'S PLATFORMS 9-11?
We do not speak of those platforms... :P
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

If only there was a GRF that had all the units, but also had a refit for each livery. I could run around with a realistic Britain and realistic TOCs doing the right areas with the right train and livery.
God knows how many different liveries the 150s & 158s actively have throughout the UK no, HSTs probably have a ton of differing liveries, and of course the flying banana on top of the TOC ones.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Redirect Left wrote:If only there was a GRF that had all the units, but also had a refit for each livery. I could run around with a realistic Britain and realistic TOCs doing the right areas with the right train and livery.
God knows how many different liveries the 150s & 158s actively have throughout the UK no, HSTs probably have a ton of differing liveries, and of course the flying banana on top of the TOC ones.
I believe the phrase you are looking for is "BRTrains when finished".
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

My view of that GRF is, the entire UK network will be electrified before that gets completed :p
I might brush up on NML and offer to help with the coding side though, as i believe their coder is inactive / has life stuff.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

I've got the hang of NML, coded some stuff that I've donated to that set... I should probably help...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So, I'm booked on the Enterprise train with a family member between Belfast and Dublin on the 1st October, and I have just been given my seat numbers for the reservation.

Does anyone know whether there is a seating map available for this service, and if so, where can I find this? I've tried the NI Railways website, and a Google of it, but can't find it!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

London Midland has lost the West Midlands franchise.
It'll be operated by a new rail company, "West Midlands Trains Ltd ". Hopefully they name the franchise something more catchy than that.
The train image is quite nice, hopefully that's the intended livery :mrgreen:

BBC News
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

That would have been the livery, regardless of who would have won, at least for services around Birmingham. Not sure what the intention is for trains in to Euston.

There's about to be a load more trains go off lease with seemingly nowhere for them to go.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”