Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Redirect Left »

Well this is certainly a new reason for train delays, presented by Greater Anglia earlier today.

https://twitter.com/amyelizgray/status/ ... 08/photo/1
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Just back from a week in Swizerland. Swiss railways, it has to be said, are superb. Reliable, punctual services with plenty of seats and no need to book in advance, just turn up. Good integration with trams and trolleybuses too.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote:Well this is certainly a new reason for train delays, presented by Greater Anglia earlier today.

Had that coming through our emails before :P

Best one is on assistance sheets where we've had the name of a passenger, and the assistance they've needed (Wheelchair, ramp, luggage, elderly, etc).
Once upon a time though, I think someone forgot about grammar as it read "Assistance Type: Luggage suffers from arthritis"
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:Well this is certainly a new reason for train delays, presented by Greater Anglia earlier today.

Had that coming through our emails before :P

Best one is on assistance sheets where we've had the name of a passenger, and the assistance they've needed (Wheelchair, ramp, luggage, elderly, etc).
Once upon a time though, I think someone forgot about grammar as it read "Assistance Type: Luggage suffers from arthritis"
I am assuming it's actually a typo, and it should be "an unusually large passenger flow", as ive seen that reason a few times, Northern like to cancel trains due to it (Which i find weird, surely thats a reason to have MORE trains, but there we go)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Unusually large passenger flows rarely cause a cancellation in their own right, but you'll find the reason still attributed to subsequent cancellations as a result of earlier delays.

On the underground "cancellations" (I.e. Non-stoppers) due to overcrowding are extremely common, for safety reasons. National Rail very much not.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Dave wrote:Unusually large passenger flows rarely cause a cancellation in their own right, but you'll find the reason still attributed to subsequent cancellations as a result of earlier delays.
I've always assumed Unusually Large Passenger Flow reasons to be something along the lines of a train was held at a station for a longer period than its waiting time allowed, and over time it amassed to missing its timeslot at some signals causing some sort of delay.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Exactly, so the cancellation is due to the delays caused by the passenger flow, not the passenger flow itself.

Flickr

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Incident at Charing Cross earlier today, a train caught fire in a rather splendid manner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30167555
http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/23/charing-c ... 6/?ito=v-a

Can't quite make out the train model from the blurry image here; https://twitter.com/vincenzo_minore/sta ... 92/photo/1
Either way, I think it might be out of service for quite sometime!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

"All passengers, please evacuate after taking a photo and posting it on facebook and twitter"
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Geo Ghost wrote:"All passengers, please evacuate after taking a photo and posting it on facebook and twitter"
The last part is not needed, people will first take pictures, post those on the Internet and then, and only then, there is a small chance that they might actually do what you say and evacuate.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

From the photo it looks like a 375; the news said it was a service to Robertsbridge which is down towards Hastings so this seems likely. Kinda scary but it's good to see people are more worried about getting a photo than smoke inhalation... :roll:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

I'm looking into doing a 7-Day all-line Rail Rover either over Christmas, or sometime in the summer. Anyone have any ideas of where I should go (I'll be starting in Manchester)
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Don't do Christmas; so many areas shut down for engineering works between Christmas and new year, plus you're more likely to get disruption due to weather...
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Look here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_d ... 61716.aspx for Christmas disruptions.

Better to do it early Spring however, Summer would be busy.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Aycliffe wrote:Look here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_d ... 61716.aspx for Christmas disruptions.

Better to do it early Spring however, Summer would be busy.
You do know that is last years disruptions right? ;)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Aycliffe wrote:Better to do it early Spring however, Summer would be busy.
Issue there is I'm restricted by College work as to when I could do it. Puts Spring completely out of the picture. I guess early July could work though, I should be finished for the year by then.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

This is one of the most cringe things I have seen this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyclGKD9Q7k
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

When one is bored and then gets an subscription update from RAIB...

Signal.jpg
Signal.jpg (130.53 KiB) Viewed 25619 times
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I find it concerning that the checking of signals doesn't including digging up the small amount of ballast around the bottom of it to ensure its not started doing that.
Dave

Post by Dave »

You didn't look very far ;) I posted about this when it happened two weeks ago!

Love that the signal is still showing a red aspect!
Redirect Left wrote:I find it concerning that the checking of signals doesn't including digging up the small amount of ballast around the bottom of it to ensure its not started doing that.
Doesn't strike me as a widespread issue - the pole would never have been built for this type of signal (I think the update suggests this was a newly installed signal). Corrosion surely requires water which is not desirable on the permanent way, so is usually excluded as much as possible, so this sort of check would surely be considered redundant.

Flickr

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”