Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote:hahaha. No. Longitudinal seats are the worst.
Pilot wrote:We've had them for ages, on the Class 378s, they're horrid.
If you're strapped on the iron-board type for 3 hrs, then yes.

Otherwise, a very good compromise between peak-time capacity, accessibility and a chance to sit on a sofa.

They work well on our 2 hrs long route in extra-cramped peak hour service carrying up to 1000 people (train about 200 m long) - on empty times you can sleep down on the long benches.

Maybe you should ask the japanese to give you those comfy long benches they have on their commuter stocks.
Pilot wrote:
YNM wrote:Top of the vertical railings should be a luggage rack.
Why? These are designed for short, commuter journey's, not really much of a luggage requirement.
We have them on our commuter stock, handy if your job involves moving pretty large stuff.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

YNM wrote:
Pilot wrote:
YNM wrote:Top of the vertical railings should be a luggage rack.
Why? These are designed for short, commuter journey's, not really much of a luggage requirement.
We have them on our commuter stock, handy if your job involves moving pretty large stuff.
Most people's jobs have the stuff already at them. At most, you're normally carrying a laptop in a rucksack if you're taking the train. For anything bigger, you'd probably drive anyways.
YNM wrote:Maybe you should ask the japanese to give you those comfy long benches they have on their commuter stocks.
No thanks, as the trains will then probably come with a dodgy front windscreen that the driver can't see out of. Don't trust the Japanese to build a good train at the moment!

Ironing board seats in the IETs and fishbowl windscreens on the Class 385s; And these are supposedly the best the world can get?!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pilot wrote:Most people's jobs have the stuff already at them. At most, you're normally carrying a laptop in a rucksack if you're taking the train. For anything bigger, you'd probably drive anyways.
You could get a pan of pizza intact in a cramped train with the racks. And you can stuff more people in without their luggage occuoying the same level (well, pretty hard for everyone's luggage I think).
Pilot wrote:
YNM wrote:Maybe you should ask the japanese to give you those comfy long benches they have on their commuter stocks.
No thanks, as the trains will then probably come with a dodgy front windscreen that the driver can't see out of. Don't trust the Japanese to build a good train at the moment!

Ironing board seats in the IETs and fishbowl windscreens on the Class 385s; And these are supposedly the best the world can get?!
Depends on the orders I think... they still do pretty comfy stuff.

Something they made 40 years ago...

... And something they're still making.

It really depends on the orders.

And for facepalm time, what we have ordered for our MRT :

They complained about the looks, and they forgot the bloody benches ??!?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Gord
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Gord »

Two new transport companies started over the weekend here in the UK. VTEC became LNER and National Express Midland Metro became West Midlands Metro.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Both of which are gov owned!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Great North Western Railway (GNWR), a sister company of Grand Central, have been given approval to run 5 services per day (with an option for a sixth) between Blackpool North and London Euston, calling at Poulton-le-Fylde, Kirkham & Wesham, Preston, Nuneaton and Milton Keynes Central. Services are expected to be formed of Class 91s and 6x Mark 4 passenger carriages and a Mark 4 DVT, that are expected to be ready to enter service by September 2019, released from LNER duties having been replaced by Azuma's.

The service will be operating alongside the VTWC service that is also running between Blackpool and London, which operates 4 times per day, bringing the total number of Blackpool - Euston services up to 9 per day, with a potential for a 10th. The GNWR services will be limited to 110mph due to a lack of tilting equipment on their expected stock.

Source: Alliance Rail Holdings

I'm quite excited for these services, and I can see myself finding new, weird and wonderful ways down to MK for meetings! I'm also hopeful the two services will be timed in such a fashion to allow a frequent, well spread service between the two for most the day, instead of two services in direct competition with one another.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Those trains are the bane of my working life.

I hate them with a passion.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Oh, I can imagine! I'm just hoping they haven't stolen the big gap heading North between Rugby and Nuneaton, passing Brinklow at about 1336. I love to use that gap, it's brilliant for getting up that stretch of the WCML at 60mph.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Just don't.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

A rather odd article i came across today. A group of boys who were injured with electrical burns, whilst playing near train lines near Walsall are to sue, over the trauma it has caused them. To be specific, despite the headline, it is actually the families of the boys suing. One of the boys was injured after coming into contact with a 25,000V cable after climbing aboard a train carriage in a yard, another suffered minor burns when he pushed his friend clear of the cable, and the third was left traumatised from witnessing the events, but was left with no physical injuries.

The lawyer is hoping to win by blaming the rail company who operated that yard, DB Cargo UK, for not doing more to stop the boys from being able to carry out their misadventure to begin with, specifically, there was a hole in the fence, thought to have been opened by metal thieves, that had been left for a noteable period of time unrepaired.

Birmingham Live.

What is everyones stance on this? For me, children should be taught pretty early and decisively that this is not on, it is not acceptable behaviour to tresspass, and that is before you get into the whole dangers of the railway. Yes, DB Cargo should have been ideally quicker to fix this hole, but I am siding against the parents and kids here, they shouldn't have even dreamed of doing this anyway.
Last edited by Redirect Left on 03 Aug 2018 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

It is ridiculous for that to even go to court.

Railways are dangerous. Everyone knows this.
The boys knew it was dangerous. They knew they were trespassing. They knew they shouldn't be there or be doing what they did.

Hope DB can counter-claim over the money it cost them during the incident.

What next? Need railings for every step? Fences down every road encase someone runs in front of a car?
I coughed on some water the other day. Can I sue the water company for not issuing a choking hazard?

Stuff like that really grinds me. Waste of the legal systems time and money. Don't want to be hurt? Don't go where you're not meant to go!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

A few articles in the world of transport I've seen recently that are somewhat note worthy.
A large bridge carrying a motorway (highway) has collapsed in Genoa, Italy, killing at least 37 people at the current count. The bridge was around 295ft in the air, the collapsed section fell onto mostly railway tracks, rather than buildings, however at least several vehicles careered off the motorway and onto the ground below. The exact cause is unknown, but it is thought to be brought on a large storm, with eyewitnesses saying a large burst of lightning hit the bridge before its collapse.
BBC News.

Next up, an empty passenger plane was stolen by an airport member of staff from Seattle-Tacoma Airport. Note that the story of this varies hugely from article to article, so i'll go with the one that I trust the most, the BBC.
The member of staff who worked for the company of the plane he stole, Horizen Air, later crashed the plane after about 90 minuetes on a sparsely populated island, which killed him. Transcripts of his communication with ATC are erratic, and go from noting his surprise at what he has achieved, mentioning his many hours of video games were helping him control the game, to later apologising to his loved ones for what he has done. The thief had full credentials for the airport, meaning he didn't violate any security, as he legitimately had access to the plane, though obviously, not permission to fly it. Shortly after taking flight, NORAD fighter jets were scrambled and closely followed the plane until its eventual crash, which they played no direct part in.
BBC News.

Will be a few questions about airport security, and if more needs to be done to prevent people who legitimately have access to planes from going awry with them.
Last edited by Redirect Left on 15 Aug 2018 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote:A large bridge carrying a motorway (highway) has collapsed in Genoa, Italy...
That's the E80 bridge ! At least I knew it from ETS2 XD

But really, I didn't expect it to be *that* weak !
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Not concerning in the slightest.

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Seems you will soon have to pass out. I really hope that's an error :lol:
Colt_An2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Colt_An2 »

Some transport trivia, or a first step towards a cyberpunk city, your call : https://tranio.com/articles/how-self-dr ... rket_5386/

tl;dr : self driving cars are going to have so much of an impact on our lives that it's going to change how we drive to work, how we buy houses, and how cities are organised.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

To bulk up their finances, Network Rail have sold their commercial property portfolio, which is largely made up of converted arches under railway bridges and viaducts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45477907

There's some concern over this, as there are hundreds of little shops under these varying arches, which are now expecting rent hikes.

In other news, the new Azuma trains for LNER cause issues with older signalling equipment used in the North of England, due to electromagnetic interference messing up older signals and points;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-45435683
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Steam trains will soon be returning to the UK mainline!

BBC News.

I wonder if they'll be trusted to not break down, or if they'll have a backup diesel shoved somewhere on the consist...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:Steam trains will soon be returning to the UK mainline!
Ummmm... Steam Trains run regularly on the Mainline... this Article is just an example of poor BBC Railway Journalism!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Is it true ? Do weedkillers (from trains) work on them, or would you need a more thorough approach ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”