Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by YNM »

Gwyd wrote:I was going to point at the Victoria line as a good ATO example but that's completely isolated from other routes, unlike Thameslink, which is far more complex.
It's more or less the same when seen from Blackfriars to St. Pancras (low level). They just need am extra "engage" and "disengage".
Gwyd wrote:I find it funny that they say we're getting the first direct Cambridge-Kent/Brighton trains since it's not like there's been a huge demand (that I've known of) previously.
You *could* say the same for Crossrail !

The point of a cross-London service isn't about getting accross it - it's also about rolling stock usage.

acs121 wrote:And this, for an object used in everyday's life.
I would say the same for water (mineral water for god sake) and my liquid soap (300 ml of them !).

Once for a journey I carried quite a number of empty water bottles - meant to be used at the destination, saves buying mineral water because i can just refill. Security just went shooking heads. Obviously they did ask about it and I just let them examine after I opened it and let it snd upside-down while opened.

And for the soap... that's when I first learned the "limited liquid" rule, I was going back home from the Island across (Singapore), carried the soap (which went through my local departure security ! I bet that's no longer a thing though), passed through X-ray and all I know next is the security mistress opened my bag, ask me the soap, and promptly throwed away the rather full soap after confirming "you can't continue in carrying them".

Then I went searching the .net and seeing that's just the rule.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

YNM wrote:
Gwyd wrote:I was going to point at the Victoria line as a good ATO example but that's completely isolated from other routes, unlike Thameslink, which is far more complex.
It's more or less the same when seen from Blackfriars to St. Pancras (low level). They just need am extra "engage" and "disengage".
Gwyd wrote:I find it funny that they say we're getting the first direct Cambridge-Kent/Brighton trains since it's not like there's been a huge demand (that I've known of) previously.
You *could* say the same for Crossrail !

The point of a cross-London service isn't about getting accross it - it's also about rolling stock usage.

acs121 wrote:And this, for an object used in everyday's life.
I would say the same for water (mineral water for god sake) and my liquid soap (300 ml of them !).

Once for a journey I carried quite a number of empty water bottles - meant to be used at the destination, saves buying mineral water because i can just refill. Security just went shooking heads. Obviously they did ask about it and I just let them examine after I opened it and let it snd upside-down while opened.

And for the soap... that's when I first learned the "limited liquid" rule, I was going back home from the Island across (Singapore), carried the soap (which went through my local departure security ! I bet that's no longer a thing though), passed through X-ray and all I know next is the security mistress opened my bag, ask me the soap, and promptly throwed away the rather full soap after confirming "you can't continue in carrying them".

Then I went searching the .net and seeing that's just the rule.
You had then nothing to wash your hands ? Huh. Dunno if solid soaps are allowed either...
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Back to the ATO point... Today the DLR was crippled by a strike.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

acs121 wrote:You had then nothing to wash your hands ? Huh. Dunno if solid soaps are allowed either...
Nah, it's just liquid ones.

No, I had other stocks at home.
Gwyd wrote:Back to the ATO point... Today the DLR was crippled by a strike.
What, they don't open the stations ? No one stationed the control centre ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Still needs a train manager on board to operate the doors.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Ameecher wrote:Still needs a train manager on board to operate the doors.
Can't some of the regular passenger do them ? XD
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

YNM wrote:
Ameecher wrote:Still needs a train manager on board to operate the doors.
Can't some of the regular passenger do them ? XD
They probably do the safety aspect of ensuring no one is leaning against the unit when it sets off, I imagine?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote:They probably do the safety aspect of ensuring no one is leaning against the unit when it sets off, I imagine?
Well, I think most brits are sensible enough XD
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

YNM wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:They probably do the safety aspect of ensuring no one is leaning against the unit when it sets off, I imagine?
Well, I think most brits are sensible enough XD
You'd be surprised. We have a habit of running barriers and getting killed at R/R crossings, there is also an instance of a guard being jailed after failing to notice a woman leaning on a train, it set off, and she ended up on the tracks.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote:You'd be surprised. We have a habit of running barriers and getting killed at R/R crossings, there is also an instance of a guard being jailed after failing to notice a woman leaning on a train, it set off, and she ended up on the tracks.
I know (that was the argument on automation).

I was just saying that at least there got to be someone sensible enough. Kinda hard to justify though given the pubs.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

YNM wrote:Well, I think most brits are sensible enough XD
We can dream... we can dream :mrgreen:
If only such was true :P
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

An Algerian military plane has crashed, killing over 250 people.

BBC News

This is Algerias worst air disaster to date, and some passengers were from a disputed region of Western Sahara, annexed by Morocco some time ago, the majority of the killed are thought to be army personnel and their families.
The plane, an Ilyushin Il-76 was en route from Bechar to Tindouf. The Algerian Government has declared three days of national mourning, for this tragedy of a scale not seen previous in Algerian aviation history.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Another tidbit of transport news.

In a freak accident, a person has been killed when an engine on a Southwest Airlines 737(-700) exploded whilst the plane was cruising over 30,000ft in the air, with debris shattering a cabin window. A woman was 'partially sucked' through the shattered window, although there is no confirmation whether this passenger is the one who died in the accident.
The plane succesfully made an emergency landing after that incident.
The engine, a 'CFM56' is widely used in the aviation industry, so this may have some repercussions, and may require a lot of further testing to demonstrate what went wrong, and if this may affect other engines of the same type.

Image of the blasted engine by twitter user @joeasaprap.

Sources (in the order of most used for sourcing of data above)
BBC News & CNN & Metro UK

Also, Penzance Rail Station is currently up in flames, after unit 4313(6 or 8 - i can't quite tell from smoke and resolution there) set on fire there.

Cornwall Live.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The best and worst rail stations have been revealed!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44023411

I get the feeling some of these are based upon peoples opinion of the outside of them, rather than inside.
Sheffield, looks nice enough from the outside. Inside, hell hole - apparently still top 10!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote:I get the feeling some of these are based upon peoples opinion of the outside of them, rather than inside.
Speaking of GQS, if only that massive glass arch facade could be shifted frontward !
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Very happy to see Kings Cross on there, along with St Pancras. Certainly the best stations :D

I'm shocked Moorgate isn't on the 'worst station' list however.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote:Very happy to see Kings Cross on there, along with St Pancras. Certainly the best stations :D
I agree that KGX & STP are rather good, it seems in comparison, EUS is now lagging behind the other two. At least in terms of the look of the station and overall quality of the building and staffing. Although for all I know, EUS is the next in line for upgrades.
A little surprised London Victoria made it to the bottom 10, in my experience it isn't that bad, certainly not 'worst 10' - although I've only used it sparingly on infrequent visits. I'm not sure if the votes are of the overground or underground part, but both didn't seem too bad when I last used in a few year ago. I'm genuinely more surprised that more northern stations didn't get worst, perhaps the surveying was mostly conducted in the south. Despite the reputation of Hull, I find Hull Paragon actually quite a decent station. My pet hate for nearby stations is Leeds, it's far too dimly lit in there, and that's after the overhaul not too long ago.

I'll be in London in June & September this year for Counter Strike tournaments, so may do a little tour of the main stations. May also do a practice run of The Tube Challenge if I get a spare day down there, I'm still intending to do that one day.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... iles-away/ , We have a massive railwork program in progress , not this one though , HeHe nice to have a wee chuckle , what a waste of resources .On the local works I would advise fellow rail users to plan there journeys up north very carefully .https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-t ... 84613.aspx
What I read on the bus replacement there will be 1 extra bus laid on at 1/2 hourly intervals , the local bus service at peak every 10 minutes ,when not delayed is always full .I can see chaos happening , heaps of people with luggage cramming onto overcrowded busses is not going to work .
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Some useful link I tried to enter in the last post http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_d ... 84613.aspx

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”