Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Pilot »

Geo Ghost wrote:Well, I've just managed to tick off 3 Railway achievements in one go!
Are you causing more delays? I swear you're single-handedly responsible for about 50% of that Franchise's delays! :wink: Oh, wait, you drive for the TSGN Franchise don't you... never mind! :P
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Pilot wrote:
Geo Ghost wrote:Well, I've just managed to tick off 3 Railway achievements in one go!
Are you causing more delays?
Not intentionally this time :P
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Dave wrote:The reason they disabled the tilt system is that there was nowhere on the XC network that really benefitted from it, once XC units stopped running up the West Coast.

There's a handful of miles of 125mph running between Birmingham and Sheffield I think, and obviously once you're on the ECML. I don't *think* any of the GWML west of Bristol has 125 running, but in all three of these cases, the 125 limit is not under EPS rules, so tilt is not required,
It's also for performance reasons; the reliability went up quite considerably once the tilt was taken out.

There was a small area around Banbury that used it too, but it wasn't really worth it.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Chris wrote:Roll the franchises back in as they run out what eg. East Coast. Should be cost neutral
It would be rather expensive in the long run.

The average profit is 3% on the railway (which is a publicly known figure). If you believe that the TOCs deliver efficiency savings exceeding 3% - which I do - then the railway financially benefits from the system. And bear in mind that that 3% covers the cost of bids too, so the efficiency savings much be greater.

If you believe you can capture all the profit and the railway will run as financially efficient as before, it will amount to a 3% fall in fares. Once. Not every year; just for one year.

Then that's ignoring the biggest issue, which is the current limited political window of opportunity to meddle in passenger services. Currently, each franchise has a short window of opportunity once every 7 years, after which it's relatively locked down. This ensures that political decisions are made for the long-run, and that a lot of thought goes into them because you're then stuck. Consultations for franchises, engagements, etc. But, if you renationalise, you'll have the politicians interfering on a day to day, and all sorts of decisions get made for entirely political reasons. It's already well-known that Nottingham Bus Company (owned by the council) deliberately sends extra buses towards favoured councillors' wards; it would happen with the railways too
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/ ... 11463.html , Abandon train , I thought these guys gave there life for the railway .Might make a good idea to be include runaway trains in OTTD .
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Minor typo on National Rail Enquiries...

edit: actually its a site wide thing, type BDQ into it on journey planning, you get the same error :lol:
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

An 11 year old male has been found dead at Daventry Rail Freight Depot. The boy was found with severe burns, suggesting he was electrocuted to death.
It is currently unknown how the boy came to be in the depot to begin with.

BBC News.

An unfortunate occurence, assumably this is a case of misadventure.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So, I'm planning a train over the Gospel Oak to Barking line (or rather, was going to plan it), and I noticed a rather weirdly named Junction, "Junction Road Junction". So, what I want to know is, what came first, the Junction or the Road?

I guess it's mildly related to this topic :lol:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The road, otherwise there is nothing to have a junction on?
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

The Junction is a railway one, not a road one, should have made that a little clearer :wink:

And surely, if there is no Junction there when you build the road, you'd call it something else :P
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Surely 'Junction Road' is the name of the road, 'Junction' is a rail junction on or nearby to Junction Road? there isn't a station named that anyway
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:Surely 'Junction Road' is the name of the road, 'Junction' is a rail junction on or nearby to Junction Road? there isn't a station named that anyway
There was! Yes, Junction Road is the name of the road. I was thinking that Junction Road was named after the railway junction or something (like, both were being built at the same time, the road was named after the junction, and as the junction hadn't been named yet, they just decided to name it after the road), turns out it's something more boring and from 1813 :cry:

I just thought it was a funny, as well as rather stupid name :lol:
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Pilot wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:Surely 'Junction Road' is the name of the road, 'Junction' is a rail junction on or nearby to Junction Road? there isn't a station named that anyway
There was! Yes, Junction Road is the name of the road. I was thinking that Junction Road was named after the railway junction or something (like, both were being built at the same time, the road was named after the junction, and as the junction hadn't been named yet, they just decided to name it after the road), turns out it's something more boring and from 1813 :cry:

I often wonder about places like Grand Junction on the eastern approach to Birmingham New Street, whether that is Grand Junction Junction, as the lines from it are the Grand Junction lines. Musings of a deluded individual.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Junction Road Jn is an odd junction... lines diverge and go down a STEEP bank, so within about three quarters of a mile they're a solid forty feet below. You see them disappear under Hampstead before they pop up to a northbound facing junction on the MML.

There are calls to reopen the station but frankly it's so close to Gospel Oak it'd be a bit pointless - maybe it would serve the top end of Kentish Town.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Dave wrote:Junction Road Jn is an odd junction...
Odd maybe, no doubt a useful one however, I don't know how much freight comes from Anglia to the MML, however, as I found out today, the alternative without Junction Road Jn (and the GOBLIN as a whole) is rather stupid!
Dave wrote:There are calls to reopen the station but frankly it's so close to Gospel Oak it'd be a bit pointless - maybe it would serve the top end of Kentish Town.
I was reading there was a Tube Station near there, Tuffnell Park I think? I imagine that would make a good Out of Station Interchange between the Overground and Underground?
Ameecher wrote:I often wonder about places like Grand Junction
That one hasn't actually come to my mind before. I find there are so many strange/bizarre names on the railways that sometimes they just go unnoticed.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pilot wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:Surely 'Junction Road' is the name of the road, 'Junction' is a rail junction on or nearby to Junction Road? ...
... Yes, Junction Road is the name of the road. ... turns out it's something more boring and from 1813 :cry:

Well, your planners had Spur Road -ses for spur roads...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Dave

Post by Dave »

Pilot wrote:
Odd maybe, no doubt a useful one however, I don't know how much freight comes from Anglia to the MML, however, as I found out today, the alternative without Junction Road Jn (and the GOBLIN as a whole) is rather stupid!
So the West to north connection avoiding Willesden on to the yard not good for you? ;)
Dave wrote:There are calls to reopen the station but frankly it's so close to Gospel Oak it'd be a bit pointless - maybe it would serve the top end of Kentish Town.
I was reading there was a Tube Station near there, Tuffnell Park I think? I imagine that would make a good Out of Station Interchange between the Overground and Underground?
Tufnell Park is a fairly quiet station. I guess it'd work. But you've got Kentish Town West on the NLL for that.
Ameecher wrote:I often wonder about places like Grand Junction
That one hasn't actually come to my mind before. I find there are so many strange/bizarre names on the railways that sometimes they just go unnoticed.[/quote]
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Dave wrote:
Pilot wrote:
So the West to north connection avoiding Willesden on to the yard not good for you? ;)
Last I checked Anglia was to the East :wink: Was trying to get from Broxbourne onto the MML, so ended up going to London Fields, reverse, through Highbury + Islington, Gospel Oak and Willesden Jn to Acton Wells Jn, then reverse and straight away to the MML via Dudding Hill Jn (I imagine this is the connection you were meaning?). Could have gone via Stratford (Lea Valleys onto the NLL), but that was just adding time.

(Unless, I've completely missed another (more obvious) alternative :oops: )
Dave wrote:
Pilot wrote:
Tufnell Park is a fairly quiet station. I guess it'd work. But you've got Kentish Town West on the NLL for that.
You've got the 2 Camden's near there as well haven't you? I guess 3 Interchages for the same Tube line so closely together wouldn't really make that much sense.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

My favourite track name is 'Bacon Factory Curve'
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Last month, a service from Totnes Riverside to Buckfastleigh had a missing piece of floor in the toilet, after some maintenance works had been done on the braking system, but the floor piece was not replaced before the train set off on its journey. A child was injured when they attempted to use the toilet, the mother was able to grab the child and prevent them from falling through and onto the track below the moving train, and suffered only bruising.

I think this one might take several meetings without biscuits to resolve.

BBC & Metro UK

EDIT: RAIB Entry.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”