[MH17] Malaysian 777 has crashed in Ukraine

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

[MH17] Malaysian 777 has crashed in Ukraine

Post by Redirect Left »

Unfortunately another Malaysian flight carrying passengers has crashed. The crash is reported to have occured in Ukraine, near the Russian border.
The plane, a 777 was carrying around 280 passengers and 15 crew from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysia Airlines have tweeted about the incident, confirming they have lost contact with 'Flight MH17' in Ukrainian Airspace at the time.
An aviation source in Moscow said the plane 'had been found burning on the ground in east Ukraine'

Anton Herashchenko, an adviser to Ukraine's interior minister, was quoted by the Associated Press as saying the plane had been hit by a missile at an altitude of 10,000m (33,000ft).
I am watching BBC News 24, and they're working on the assumption that the plane was shot down, more than likely accidentally. Ukrainian officials have confirmed the incident, and the Ukraine military have said they have recorded a missile launch that may have been the cause of MH17s downing.

The plane crashed in Grabovo, a small village reportedly controlled by rebels.
Ukraine officials report there were no survivors of the 298 people aboard, 280 of which were passengers.
According to BBC News 24, America has satellites and other technology that will be able to confirm if, and what type of missile hit the plane. There are also reports the missile may have come from the russian side of the border, all parties involved in the conflict are, unsurprisingly, denying all knowledge.
A list of nationalities for victims can be found on the wikipedia article here.

Ukraines president has also called it "an act of terrorism".

I'll update this post as I read more (from trustable sources)
Source; BBC News Website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28354856
Source 2: Malaysia Airlines Twitter https://twitter.com/MAS/status/489795857101750272
BBC News 24: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews (This is a live streaming feed, and may not be available to people outside of the UK)

Another tragic incident relating to Maylasia Airlines, and perhaps more tragic, it currently seems it may have been shot down by missile.
There is also going to be a political nightmare over this, I expect.
Last edited by Redirect Left on 24 May 2018 13:36, edited 15 times in total.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Malaysian 777 reported crashed in Ukraine

Post by Illegal_Alien »

As far i know, most of the people on that flight would be dutch...
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

You need to be really smart to fly over a well known war zone.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

bjgttd wrote:You need to be really smart to fly over a well known war zone.
At 30,000 ft though is a fairly reasonable assumption that you're out of the range of most rebel weapons as is being used in that war zone.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Malaysian 777 has crashed in Ukraine

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Currently known from different (dutch) travel agencies;

D-Reizen: 20 people.
ANWB Reizen/FOX Reizen: 15 to 16 people
WTC.NL: 20 to 30

WARNING LINK MAY CONTAIN DISTURBING IMAGES OF CRASHSITE
http://lifenews.ru/ Russian newssite.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Ameecher wrote:
At 30,000 ft though is a fairly reasonable assumption that you're out of the range of most rebel weapons as is being used in that war zone.
It is reported the rebels do not have the weaponry required to reach 30,000, however other parties involved in the disagreement do. Politically speaking, a lot of questions being raised.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

I've flown over Afghanistan several times at the height of the war...
As BBC News has reported, this is a very standard flight route (indeed, one I've done many a time to visit family). Anyone on the ground would know that it's a civilian commercial aircraft...

This really shocks me. Malaysia doesn't deserve this... being the victim and being dragged into something absolutely unrelated.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Dutch passports has been found;

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

According to BBC News 24, America has satellites and other technology that will be able to confirm if, and what type of missile hit the plane. There are also reports the missile may have come from the russian side of the border, all parties involved in the conflict are, unsurprisingly, denying all knowledge.

Ukraines president has also called it "an act of terrorism". Which BBC News 24 have called 'unhelpful speculation'

Only thing for sure is, something truly tragic has happened, and finding out specifics may sadly take a long time, and a lot of political discussions and suspicions.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Very bizarre comment... It's a well used international flight path.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

The latest I've heard is that its a ground based, anti-aircraft system, so it would have the capability of reaching 33,000ft.

What I don't get is why this aircraft is flying over Airspace which has been closed, because of the Il-76 shooting.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

As far i know it wasn`t closed? (It is now though).
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Illegal_Alien wrote:As far i know it wasn`t closed? (It is now though).
At the time it wasn't. It has in the past been closed to commercial flights, but it was reopened again for whatever reason. Civilian aircraft are easily identifiable, both visually and by the squawks they send out, which will identify it as a commercial civilian flight. No one ever expected or really anticipated the conflict to (possibly, still not confirmed) lead to this.
Last edited by Redirect Left on 17 Jul 2014 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yes, this is a game changer...
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The wikipedia article has started listing passenger nationalities, and can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_A ... Passengers
It seems Illegal Alien was correct earlier, the majority were Dutch, although the list of nationalities is still incomplete and doesn't count for all 280 yet.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

And Wikipedia's source is? Stick at least to the only slightly flimsy news stories.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Illegal_Alien wrote:As far i know it wasn`t closed? (It is now though).
That is what I read in the early reports, so the information probably wasn't as up to date as it could be.
Redirect Left wrote:Civilian aircraft are easily identifiable, both visually and by the squawks they send out
However, Squawks only work if the Transponder is switched on, which I'm sure it would have been, and they are using Secondary Radar to search for Aircraft. If they are using Primary Radar (where signals are just bounced off aircraft) which can only give information on Height and Heading.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

There is currently an interview at Schiphol Airport on BBC News 24.

The nationalities, as given by the man leading the interview are;

154 Dutch
27 Australians
23 Malaysians
11 Indonesians
6 British (UK)
4 Germans
4 Belgiums
3 Phillipino
1 Canadian
The rest are currently unidentified, all crew were Malaysian.
Ameecher wrote:And Wikipedia's source is? Stick at least to the only slightly flimsy news stories.
Wikipedia has never lead me astray. If you think it is doing so, no need to be a jerk about it, keep thoughts to yourself. Nothing nice to say, don't say s***.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I'm just saying that for current affairs, Wikipedia is unlikely to be the best source. News agencies are often sketchy so someone using those sources in an openly editable format.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Our Prime Minister has order to have all flags to be on half Stok on all goverment buildings. (Noun?)

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”