[MH17] Malaysian 777 has crashed in Ukraine

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Malaysian 777 has crashed in Ukraine

Post by Wahazar »

YNM wrote:There're speculations (or truth ?) that peoples in Ukraine thought the plane is a Russian presidential plane... the striping is similar from what I know - thin bule and red.
Nonsense, plane attitude was over 10 km, it is far easier to notice number of engines (777 - two, vs Il-96 - four) than thin stripe.
Putin's route was not over Ukraine, far beyond BUK range.
Civilian air-plane is also easy to identify - you can see its code displayed on the radar screen.
But if somebody is giving powerful toys to amateur incompetent boys, the results can be outrageous.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Unfortunately, it also seems to be reflecting very poorly upon Malaysia Airlines; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28370863
Although of course in this incident, in my opinion, I don't think there was anything they could have done differently. No one anticipated or expected this event, and I don't really think it was possible to do so.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen it, an official document is on Malaysia Airlines website, and states all of the nationalities, it is here http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/site/mh17.html
193 from the Netherlands, 43 from Malaysia, 27 from Australia, 12 from Indonesia, 10 from the UK, 4 from Germany, 4 from Belgium, 3 from Philippines, 1 from Canada and 1 from New Zealand.
There is also an entire manifesto posted, which is here
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

To show the size of the casualties in the Netherlands, here a map, of the places where they lived;

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewe ... XD4KtCo.nl.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Not sure if this is real as i dont found more sources for it atm but: http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/buit ... vasie-voor (Dutch news site)

Short version;

The Netherlands and the USA are preparing to invade the crashsite (Its mentioned as a plan B.)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

McZapkie wrote:
YNM wrote:There're speculations (or truth ?) that peoples in Ukraine thought the plane is a Russian presidential plane... the striping is similar from what I know - thin bule and red.
Nonsense, plane attitude was over 10 km, it is far easier to notice number of engines (777 - two, vs Il-96 - four) than thin stripe.
Putin's route was not over Ukraine, far beyond BUK range.
Civilian air-plane is also easy to identify - you can see its code displayed on the radar screen.
But if somebody is giving powerful toys to amateur incompetent boys, the results can be outrageous.
Yeah, could be just a reason so people would blame Ukrainians...

What the heck is wrong with MAS ? What kind of sin have bought them into a lot (two, but while there aren't any other) of crashes ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Illegal_Alien wrote: The Netherlands and the USA are preparing to invade the crashsite (Its mentioned as a plan B.)
From other articles, it may be the only way to get in there. Reports of looting and purposeful damaging of the remains, and little respect being paid to the dead lying around.
(sourced from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28384930 & http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28383625)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Malaysia Airlines are now supposedly flying over Syria, as opposed to Ukraine. Perhaps an instance of out of the fire, and back into the frying pan?
http://www.theage.com.au/world/malaysia ... zvgya.html
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I rolled my eyes at the Russia Today article that suddenly proves a Ukrainian military jet was with in 5 km of the crash site at the time. How convenient.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Ameecher wrote:I rolled my eyes at the Russia Today article that suddenly proves a Ukrainian military jet was with in 5 km of the crash site at the time. How convenient.
I've learnt to take everything from Russia Today with a pinch of salt, they're essentially a propaganda media outlet, from what I can see.
Media don't miss a trick. Only 1, and it got picked up by media.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I just pretty much ignore it. Makes me laugh that the stupid "political" organisation Britain First use it as one of their main sources throughout their bulls*** propaganda.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

An(other) RT reporter also resigned in protest at its coverage a few days ago.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Interesting, the flight recorders are to be handled and examined by UK experts.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28424115

I was expecting it to be done by a nation with higher losses such as the Netherlands or Malaysia, failing that then Ukraine.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Dutch media reported that only a few countries have the expertise to examine flight recorders. Dutch authorities have requested the British for the research to take place in the UK.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

FooBar wrote:Dutch media reported that only a few countries have the expertise to examine flight recorders. Dutch authorities have requested the British for the research to take place in the UK.
Ah. I guess that makes sense, I assume these devices aren't simple plug and play things, connect to your PC and boom, data on your HDD to play with!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Britain's AAIB is one of the world's best.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Dave

Post by Dave »

I note with great sadness the repatriation of some bodies to the Netherlands.

Very sad for the Dutch people. No country deserved that, but certainly not such a peaceful, beautiful country.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Thank you for those kind words, Dave. That means a lot.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

40 people home, to many to go...

Also what you seee today will be repeated until all of them are "home". ("Home" because there are also other nationalities.)

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”