Jobs on the Railways

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Jobs on the Railways

Post by Redirect Left »

So, i've been recently thinking. How many of our TT-Forumers have jobs in the rail sector? If you don't, is it something you've considered, perhaps even looked into?

I've recently managed to get myself a job in there. Sadly nothing too great, its only revenue collection / gateline assistant. Basically, I stand at the gateline, or act as the gateline if there are no barriers. Checking tickets of people passing, if you don't have one, selling you one and politely reminding you the railways are Pay & Go, not Go. Sadly, its not directly with a TOC, its with Trainpeople working in conjunction with Northern. But i'm hoping that I can do the year contract, and then try applying for a similar position directly with a TOC. Then try working up to something a bit more exciting.

So anywho, anyone else looking or already have jobs in the sector?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Re: Jobs on the Railways

Post by Geo Ghost »

Jolteon wrote:I've recently managed to get myself a job in there. Sadly nothing too great, its only revenue collection / gateline assistant.
I must ask mate, any more details you can share on that one as to how on earth you managed to get a foot in the door, so to speak.

Always fancied working in the rail industry all my life. Though took a different direction due to time away from rail-related things. However, in the past few years the passion has returned as I travelled around by rail again and damn, made me think a lot.
After a terrible, horrible year at uni doing media, I thought "why don't I do what I'm passionate about in life". Thus, 6 years of media production, and I want to go into the railways instead :P No idea where to start though. That's the thing that miffs me. Contacted various TOCs by post and emails, spoke to many people in the industry, applied for jobs that i can do (when they crop up) and so far, nout. Can't figure out where to start.
The long-term goal is to get onto a trainee driver course, then become a river. That's the goal at the top of the ladder. However at the moment, I can't figure out how to grab hold of that ladder to even start trying to work my way up.

Hopefully.. hopefully hopefully one day. Soon. Anything at least.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Was offered a role with Network Rail but turned it down in favour of work with a government department. Better wage and that.

There are plenty of jobs with Network Rail that will help you get into the industry.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

I've been having a browse through their site at times. Though I think I found the mass of information a bit over-whelming. Didn't know there were so many types of jobs previously. Of course I knew there were many, but not quite this many. Find it difficult to know what they are looking for at times and what other requirements may be. Shant be going up though :) Going to keep trying. Being only 25 minutes out of London by rail certainly opens up the range a fair bit.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote:
Jolteon wrote:I've recently managed to get myself a job in there. Sadly nothing too great, its only revenue collection / gateline assistant.
I must ask mate, any more details you can share on that one as to how on earth you managed to get a foot in the door, so to speak.
I got in there with The Trainpeople. Who work with many other companies (TOCs & ATOC) to provide staff as needed. It's like contract work with TOCs sort of thing. In my case, doing revenue collection for Northern. Their vacancies page still lists what i've applied for (and subsequently got), although its now way past its closing date. They provide various things to various TOCs all accross the country, they have a client list which lists all their TOCs they work with and what sort of staff they provide for them.

Contract work isn't too great, but its experience, and of course, you get the training for the job, in my case i had 4 days of classroom education at Northern Rails training facility in Leeds about ticket types*, valid routes, and how to work the ticket machines (AVANTIX Mobile - these things, you'll have seen them, its what conductors carry they're very simple to use when you've got the hang of it!)
My contract is any 5 of 7 days, any time betwee 06:00 til 00:00. I've spoken to people working with Trainpeople at Bradford Forster Square, who work up to 60 hours a week (although to balance it out, they get some empty weeks afterwards). I'm not sure if this is standard accross the industry, or just contract work, if i'm being honest.

As I said, i'm hoping to do my contract (its 1 year fixed) then in the last few months, see if Northern or EMT have anything going similar, see if I can get a job directly with them, as hopefully they'd see me as good candidate due to already having the training, and doing the job already.

* ticket types as in the codes, like SVR, SSS, CDR, SOS, CDS, etc, as the machines refer to tickets using their codes, not plain names as such.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

Dave W wrote:Was offered a role with Network Rail but turned it down in favour of work with a government department. Better wage and that.
You work the government?! Aghh we're doomed. :shock: Hopefully just DoSAC or DWP :mrgreen:

My uncle is a fully qualified electrical engineer and a life long enthusiast, going as far as being a fully qualified signalman, for fun, our family come from a long line of railwaymen, during an interview with Network Rail, the interviewer said "But you're not really a railwayman are you Mr X?". Getting in is very hard.

I work on railway projects, but not exclusively. I actually find railway work less fun and interesting than other infrastructure and public transport on account of its complexity and how long everything takes. Also responsibilities are never clear. Its frustrating.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Neither ;) but I'm not at liberty to reveal that information!

Flickr

Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Dave is blatantly Fourth Sector Co-ordinator at DoSAC haha.

My cousin works for Network Rail and works in some sort of safety related role. My girlfriend works as a management accountant for an FOC. Both had jobs outside the sector first. My advice would be to apply for jobs within the rail industry that relate in some way to experience that you already have - work on your employability skills first. Get a job - any job, then think about how you can transfer the skills you have learned to railways.

Of course you can always just apply for a job as a train driver but there are probably loads of applicants for it, so getting that would be like winning the lottery.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I wish!!! Haha.

Flickr

Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Thanks for the advise chaps :) It is greatly appreciated!

Also, apologies to Jolteon for temporarily highjacking his topic :P
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote:Thanks for the advise chaps :) It is greatly appreciated!

Also, apologies to Jolteon for temporarily highjacking his topic :P
Hey, its fine mate. good luck in getting something, who knows, you might end up working with me on your way to the top :P
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

As you know I work in a cross-sector transport role - its good as I get to work with more than just one channel, which is brilliant :-)
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
MjD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MjD »

I've been a train driver for about a year and a half now, worked my way up through the revenue side of things first then got myself a driving job.

As Kev said you can walk straight off the street and get a drivers job but it truely is a lottery and you need to tick all the boxes for them to take you in. Getting another job and getting railway experience is always a good bet, but not guaranteed to get you into the seat, although it does give you the chance to speak to drivers, instructors, managers for advice on applying etc.
::::: WIP -- British Rail Set [BRS] for Locomotion with IA, andel, matloughe, Barry and Jonnie :::::
Researcher for the TTDP BRSet Team. Which is here.
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

How about jobs on planning and construction? I mean, that's the reason we all play OpenTTD right? You might be part of the planning process of a new railway line or you might be the one who thought about in the first place!
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

abrahambeckers wrote:I should the suggest this site this is the job allow option is available.
Sorry, but could you perhaps repeat that in readable English? :|

Forgot this topic was around.

Well, 7 months on and I'm now in the rail industry as well as Platform Staff/Dispatch. Only part time, but it's better than no time ;)
Do we still have many drivers/to-be drivers around, apart from MjD. I think we had a few at one time.
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

Since it's been dug up already...

Two more weeks and I'll be celebrating (OK, not really) 2,5 years of being a tram driver. Much as exhausting, responsible and generally hard it might be, I still love the job. The sad part is, I'll probably start looking for something more white collar in less than a year, once I finally end my studies and get a MEng degree (the field is transporation, so I won't really go far).
see my transportation photos on fotozajezdnia
304 001
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 304 001 »

Back in 2000/1, i used to work for Central Trains as platform staff at Birmingham New St.
It was a really good experience, even though the Virgin Trains staff looked down their noses at us as they had overall control of the station itself.
Plus getting out of bed at 4am every morning for the 6am-2pm shift wasn't much fun in the winter months! :D

I used to always pray for Platform 1 when the weekly rota came through, as it was nice and slow traffic (stopping services to Birmingham airport & Coventry), but i could usually be found getting my ears bent by the hoards on Platforms 6&7.

One word of caution to anyone attending a railway job interview:
If you are a railway enthusiast, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

If the employer thinks that you are going to be paying more attention to the trains going past than doing the work, they wont even consider giving you a job... I have actually witnessed this happen to people many times.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I don't doubt you're right in some cases but I was offered a job after displaying an interest in the railways in an interview for NR. I didn't take it haha. But there we are. Think it depends on the circumstance.

Flickr

Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

I think if you display an interest in the rail industry as a whole, and a passion for working in the industry, they are more likely to listen. Rather than saying "I am a rail enthusiast and love anything to do with trains."
That was my attitude towards things that helped me get my place. Showing that it's not the trains you're interested in solely, but the passion and drive for actually working for the industry and doing your job well, and making a positive contribution or difference :P

That's where I stand on the whole enthusiast thing though ;) Be an enthusiast and have your interest in trains, but focus on being passionate about working in the industry more :D
A lot of the time for me, I'm looking for a challenge and for something to happen as I don't like to stand or sit around. I like to be doing things and being active.
304 001 wrote:One word of caution to anyone attending a railway job interview:
If you are a railway enthusiast, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!
One thing I would say about that - I think it's not just enthusiasts that need to keep their mouths shut. Some people have an attitude of "I know it all" and that would show very badly at interviews. I know someone like it. They think they know it all and always try and stand their ground attempting to prove they are right. Even though they are spouting rubbish.
Be proud of your knowledge, but never act like you know it all. That's what I believe :)
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

I sort of worked for National Rail at one point - via software consultancy on a back-office project, though, so I didn't have much contact with any railway stuff.
Jon

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”