Jobs on the Railways

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

dandennison84
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Jobs on the Railways

Post by dandennison84 »

I've worked for a railroad here in the U.S. for 15 years now in IT. It is a great job! Lots of things to learn and it is a very complex operation.
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
dandennison84
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dandennison84 »

UseYourIllusion wrote:What do you do? Do you work in the room with a giant screen with lightbulbs that shows where all trains are in railways?
I don't, that is a cool place though, but I do work with them. I manage much of the customer-to-customer messaging. Everything from placing orders, to tracking where stuff is, to notifying customers when there are service interruptions.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Bit of a bump chaps, but wanted to share this and find out what people may be doing these days :)
If anyone on my facebook has seen my statuses over the months, you'll know what's coming!

Today marked my last day as a train dispatcher. Quite sad in many ways as I've loved dispatching and all my duties since I started.
I've taken great pride in what I do, and enjoyed helping people, looking after others, and ensuring people are on the move safely. It's been a blast, and I've loved it! Through good times and bad.

Tomorrow however, is another chapter in my life in the railway industry. It'll be my official start on a childhood dream, down the path of a train driver.
November the 5th, shall be the first day onto a driver training course. I am beyond excited! Just over 20 years since I had such a fascination for trains and wanted to be a driver. And that childhood dream has never left me.
But despite all that excitement, I am super nervous as well! Unsurprisingly.

So, here we go! :D
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Congratlations, great to hear!
Geo Ghost wrote:find out what people may be doing these days :)
Still volunteering at Huddersfield Rail Station, applying for jobs oline and getting constant rejections. Pretty close to just giving up entirely. I think after 8 years of trying (since I was 18) it clearly just isn't meant to be!
The people I originally got a short term job with (start of thread) The Train People rapidly went downhill and ended up in insolvency.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

As of today.... I'm now officially a 'Train Driver'! No longer a trainee!!! :D

I cannot even begin to express my joy, as anyone on my facebook has no doubt seen right now ;)
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

CONGRATULATIONS!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Congrats on getting the job, hopefully things work out for the long term.

If welding doesn't work out for me, I'd like to try out working for the railroad like Canadian Pacific, Canadian National, VIA or GO Transit (which are 4 local railroads in my parts of Ontario)

Only issue is that after I goto college for welding/metal working, I'll be about 27/28 years old (I'm turning 25 this year and I expect to attend college next year which I'll be 26 by then and will take a year to complete), I only have so much time to decide on a career before its too late.

Perhaps I could get lucky and become a welder for a railroad, though id rather prefer driving a train over standing by and watching them go.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I worked for the New South Wales railways for 24 years .. started as a Trainee Enginemen in 1970 cleaning diesel and steam locomotives after a while had job lighting the fires in steam locos ready for the shed firemen to take over.

Transferred from there to a railway station as a Junior Station Assistant and Block Boy in a Signal Box before becoming a Station Assistant.

Worked on Mail Trains as Guards Assistant for a while, then became a Safe Working Station Assistant at a small country railway station where you did everything .. did normal station duties as well as signal box working. Was a single line and the safe working for that station was Electric Train Staff Working.

From there got promoted to Assistant Station Master at another country station with the safe working was Staff and Ticket. Handled around 1/2 million tons a wheat,barley and oats a year and loading several wagons of wool every week.

Eventually ended up as a Station Master. Unfortunately that is where my career ended as falling off the top of a wagon loaded with wool isn't very healthy as it was a long way to the ground, and the ground was hard when I landed on it.

Broke my right heel and ankle, fractured right shoulder and fractured skull.

Now I on a disability pension spending my time when I can making things for OpenTTD. Since I can no longer play with real trains I play with trains on computer.

If I never had that accident probably be still working with the railways with 3 more years left for retirement.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Well, This Saturday I shall be celebrating a year of being a permanent railway employee. I initially started my role as a train planner on a short-term contract in January 2016, and it was made permanent a couple of month's later in on March 18th. One intends to have a few drinks to celebrate! :mrgreen:
Geo Ghost wrote:As of today.... I'm now officially a 'Train Driver'! No longer a trainee!!! :D
As I said over on Facebook (so I hope you'll forgive my lateness), CONGRATULATIONS!

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”