Your last plane journey

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Your last plane journey

Post by JamieLei »

Lots of ABZ; it's almost as if you live in Aberdeen or something!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I know, it's crazy, eh?

As for my last flights - ABZ - LHR on Friday was fine, albeit delayed about half an hour. Didn't pay for any food or drink, but it seems they had barely anything loaded. The guy next to me asked for a beer and a sandwich - they didn't have any sandwiches loaded and they didn't have the kind of beer he wanted. He then asked for a packet of crisps, but they didn't have the flavour he'd asked for. We were in row 5 or something - I'm guessing the folk at the back who wanted anything would have literally got nothing!

LHR - ABZ on Sunday was in Club Europe (new for 2017 on domestic flights), since that's all we could get with Avios, and it was still cheaper than booking a cash ticket in economy. It was good - got to use the business class lounge, which was all very civilised (I'd only been in the first class lounge before in T5). Seats are just the same as in economy now, but with a little table thing in the middle seat to put your drinks on. A meal was offered but we weren't really hungry, but our drinks were served in real glasses. (Sadly I was driving or I'd have had a glass of fizz.) All very nice.

We're intending to go back to Berlin for a holiday next year - looked up the price of Club Europe versus economy though for 4 of us and it is unfortunately still quite a bit more. Not worth paying £1500 or so when we could just pay £400!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I know, it's crazy, eh?

As for my last flights - ABZ - LHR on Friday was fine, albeit delayed about half an hour. Didn't pay for any food or drink, but it seems they had barely anything loaded. The guy next to me asked for a beer and a sandwich - they didn't have any sandwiches loaded and they didn't have the kind of beer he wanted. He then asked for a packet of crisps, but they didn't have the flavour he'd asked for. We were in row 5 or something - I'm guessing the folk at the back who wanted anything would have literally got nothing!

LHR - ABZ on Sunday was in Club Europe (new for 2017 on domestic flights), since that's all we could get with Avios, and it was still cheaper than booking a cash ticket in economy. It was good - got to use the business class lounge, which was all very civilised (I'd only been in the first class lounge before in T5). Seats are just the same as in economy now, but with a little table thing in the middle seat to put your drinks on. A meal was offered but we weren't really hungry, but our drinks were served in real glasses. (Sadly I was driving or I'd have had a glass of fizz.) All very nice.

We're intending to go back to Berlin for a holiday next year - looked up the price of Club Europe versus economy though for 4 of us and it is unfortunately still quite a bit more. Not worth paying £1500 or so when we could just pay £400!
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

I flew back from Glasgow into London City and had my complementary gin and tonic! I'll be sad when that is removed too, just like Heathrow and Gatwick; and I probably won't fly BA any more.

I must have been on business to Glasgow and have done it about 10 times now, by most transport modes. Generally speaking, it takes:

04:30: Virgin Trains from London Euston to Glasgow Central and vice versa
04:30: easyJet from Luton to Glasgow (including: going out of St Pancras on East Midlands Trains, getting the Luton Airport shuttle, and the Glasgow Airport Express)
04:00: British Airways from Glasgow to London City Airport (including getting the Glasgow Airport Express and the DLR)
03:30: British Airways from London City Airport to Glasgow (half an hour shorter than the return journey because City has a very short check-in time and the DLR is as punctual as Japan so I can time it perfectly).

So basically; unless I'm flying from City to Glasgow, it's not really worth me flying. On the train I can work the whole way with wifi and a table; flying I can't, and that's a really big deal-breaker for me. When I flew easyJet, I got a grand total of 10 minutes work done; entirely on the East Midlands Train up to Luton Airport Parkway!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

If I were doing the same journey, then I expect the train would be my preferred choice - although price would also be a factor. This is assuming I am wanting to go city centre to city centre of course. If I'm flying GLA - LHR - somewhere, then it makes much more sense to fly.

Aberdeen is just that bit far for the train to be a viable competitor in my opinion, unless you're not in a hurry. From my house in Banchory, it's about half an hour to the airport. In theory for a domestic flight you can be there an hour before - for safety, let's say an hour and a half. Then the flight itself is an hour and a half, then let's say half an hour at the other end. So about 4 hours.

For the train, it's either a half hour drive to Stonehaven, where you might be lucky to find parking, or it's 1 hour by bus into Aberdeen. The direct East Coast train is then 7 hours (20 minutes less from Stonehaven). The train is far more civilised though, especially in first class, and if you want to get work done, you're much more likely to be able to do so on the train!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

orudge wrote:We're intending to go back to Berlin for a holiday next year
Glad to see I'm not the only one looking at going back to that wonderful City!

Anyway, not my last or current, but my next few that I've either booked, or I'm planning on doing:

MAN - BHD: Fri 29th September with Flybe, any advice is useful with those folks!
DUB - MAN : Mon 2nd October with Ryanair, should be enough time for a coffee!
LBA - GRO: Fri 6th October with Ryanair
GRO - LBA : Mon 9th October with Ryanair, another long weekend away!
MAN - SXF: Thurs 7th December with Ryanair or Easyjet
SXF - MAN: Mon 11th December with Ryanair or Easyjet, again, another long weekend away to visit the Christmas markets over there again, lots of Gluhwein shall be had! :mrgreen:

The BHD and DUB trip is booked and confirmed, the GRO trip is just awaiting on my Leave being approved so my dad can book it, and the Berlin trip is early stages, and I'm waiting on a friend to sort out whether he shall be coming or not.

Can you tell my season at work is about to finish? :mrgreen:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

One for this morning
To: Belfast (City)
Airline: Flybe
Flight Number: BE472
Aircraft: G-FLBA (Bombardier Dash 8 Q400)
Seat: 19A

Originally scheduled to depart at 0700, we eventually deperated at 0757 (2 mins after our scheduled arrival at Belfast) due to what we were told was a Toilet issue... we eventually boarded and were told the Toilet was broken, however this was miraculously fixed by the time we boarded!

Nice flight however, little bumpy most the way over, and a very bumpy approach into Belfast, but can't complain! Weird sensation watching the wheel touch the ground then a second later actually feeling the plane touch the ground though! Anyway, finally time for me to get some sleep, I've been up since 3am!
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Last trip was a road trip across Asturias and Galicia in northern Spain:

Friday 15th September
Vueling VY7315
London Gatwick (LGW) - Asturias/Oviedo (OVD)
Airbus A320 EC-HQI

The flight was delayed by an hour which was annoying but the airline seemed quite good at keeping you informed. Gatwick is also a lot better as an airport than it was as you can easily sit by a free charging point for a couple of hours and you get 90 minutes of free wifi which should be about the right amount for a normal wait in an airport. The McDonalds in the south terminal has now gone though so few options for budget eating - although the boots has the best options for meal deal at the best prices and the cheapest bottled water too.

The aircraft was originally delivered to Iberia 16 years ago and has some of the first generation slimline seats, which manage to be both uncomfortable and cramped. My partner is 6'3 and I'm quite large too and it was quite painful to sit for nearly 2 hours with more than insufficient legroom.

Monday 25th September
Vueling VY7388
Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) - London Gatwick (LGW)
Airbus A320 EC-MKO

Santiago de Compostela is a fantastic airport, floor to ceiling glass throughout the whole building so lovely and light. The aircraft was newer and had more modern Recaro slimline sears which are even thinner, however these are more comfortable and afford much more legroom. The flight was perfect, smooth and uneventful and Gatwick seems the have got better since I was last there, through immigration in 3 minutes and bags waiting on carousel by the time we got there.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Returned from Ireland earlier, and finally home after an enjoyable weekend!

To: Manchester (Ringway)
Airline: Ryanair
Flight Number: FR1556
Aircraft: EI-FRF (Boeing 737-800)
Seat: 14E

Decent enough flight, down as soon as we went up. Put us on the remote stands at Manchester, which is one hell of bus ride away from the Terminal that Ryanair use, though I did get to see an A380 rather close up, so that made up for it!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

To: Girona (Costa Brava)
Airline: Jet2
Flight Number: LS255
Aircraft: G-JZHA (Boeing 737-800)
Seat: 33B

Nice flight, some heavy turbulence on the approach, but mostly smooth. Also had a 110mph Tailwind, so a speedy journey!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Returned from Spain today, this time with Ryanair.

To: Leeds-Bradford
Airline: Ryanair
Flight Number: FR2324
Aircraft: EI-FZD (Boeing 737-800)
Seat: 33A

I am hating Ryanair's new seats, which are thinner than a Flip-Flop (Last weeks flight back from Dublin also had them). Also seemed to use a hell of a lot of Runway at Leeds when we landed (We were at the Threshold on the other end before we stopped braking!). Other than that, and the fact that Leeds obviously isn't designed for 3 flights arriving at once, it was all good.
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

EK 856 KWI-DXB B777-300, pushing from gate now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

My last flight was about half an hour ago - ABZ - FRA, on a Lufthansa CityLine Embraer 190, seat 4A. Flight was at 05:35, which meant I was up at about 02:30 - yay. Conveniently my 1-year-old son woke up about an hour before that and proceeded not to sleep... Anyway, the fuel tanker forgot to turn up, so we had to hang about in the 'waiting corridor' after the gate for about 20 minutes before we could get on, while they refuelled. Flight was fine after that though. Now got 4 hours to kill in Frankfurt before my flight to Wrocław.

My last flights before this one were ABZ - LHR - SOF - LHR - ABZ, all on BA. They were all fine as I recall.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

To: Berlin (Schönefeld)
Airline: EasyJet
Flight Number: U21897
Aircraft: G-EZOW (Airbus A320-200)
Seat: 15C

Departed 1 hour late due to a combination of delays in the boarding process and a requirement to de-ice before departing Manchester, arrived into Berlin just 30 minutes late - overall, the flight was rather smooth and comfortable.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Most recent flights:

ABZ - FRA - WRO
WRO - FRA - ABZ

All fine really.

Then:

ABZ - AMS - ARN (last Sunday)
ARN - AMS - ABZ (Thursday)

Very short connection (about an hour between arrival and departure) in both directions at AMS. On the way back was worse, as the ARN - AMS flight was late due to de-icing and air traffic restrictions, etc. Sprinted across the airport, relatively speaking, including a bit of a queue at passport control, to find the ABZ flight was a bit late, but still arrived about 2 minutes before I ended up getting on the plane. Captain was warning us that we might be diverted to Edinburgh as the crosswinds could be too strong at Aberdeen. In the end he was able to land in ABZ though (very bumpy it was too). My bag, alas, didn't make it, and arrived on Friday.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Returned from Berlin yesterday, flight was as follows.

Airline: EasyJet
Flight Number: U21898
Aircraft: G-EZWR (Airbus A320-200)
Seat: 17A

The aircraft had arrived into Berlin 1 hour late due to delays in Manchester (with de-icing again), as such, we left 1 hour late from Berlin, not helped by the lack of 2 sets of steps (only one was used) on the aircraft, despite 5 sets of steps right next to Aircraft. Flight was perfectly fine, if a little bumpy, though we did seem to bounce a bit on landing at Manchester.
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

Currently on emirates EK876 KWI-DXB, a B777-300 with registration A6-ECL, seated at 44G, returning to KWI tomorrow AGW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
Dave

Post by Dave »

PH-EXB (Embraer 190) took me from City to Schiphol on KL992

Booked 1750-2005; actually departed 1800 BST and landed at 1940 CET. A great run - they just about got the trolley of snack boxes and drinks down in time. Shocked how quick it was. It has genuinely taken me longer to get from home to work before now.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Dave wrote:Booked 1750-2005; actually departed 1800 BST and landed at 1940 CET. A great run - they just about got the trolley of snack boxes and drinks down in time. Shocked how quick it was. It has genuinely taken me longer to get from home to work before now.
I had one of those flying home from Málaga to Stockholm once, only we left in time. Made up just over an hour on a scheduled four hour flight. Lucky winds?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Well, it's been a busy, but amazing week for me travelling around Europe on Holiday, here are the flights.

Sunday 10th June
To: Genoa (Cristoforo Colombo)
Airline: EasyJet Europe
Flight Number: U21935
Aircraft: OE-IVW (Airbus A320)
Seat: 22D

Nice enough flight from what I remember, and aisle seats also aren't too bad. Genoa itself was a pleasant, beautiful city; I'm so glad that I went.

Tuesday 12th June
To: Barcelona (El Prat)
Airline: Vueling
Flight Number: VY6006
Aircraft: EC-LVO (Airbus A320)
Seat: 28A

A nice window seat for this flight over the Mediterranean, with some lovely views. Genoa Airport itself is somewhat basic, and only 2 security lanes (out of 4) were opened when I passed through. Barcelona was... well, just Barcelona, beautiful!

Thursday 14th June
To: Prague (Vaclav Havel)
Airline: CSA Czech Airlines
Flight Number: OK689
Aircraft: OK-SWB (Boeing 737 MAX 8 (Smartwings aircraft))
Seat: 11B

The dreaded middle seat! Ugh! Busy flight, full of fans from South America, travelling to the world cup in Russia via Barcelona and Prague. The older male member of cabin crew on board was proper into his job too! Very good to see. Prague was a beautiful city to visit, very glad I did it.

Saturday 16th June
To: London (Heathrow)
Airline: British Airways
Flight Number: BA855
Aircraft: G-EUUS (Airbus A320)
Seat: 26F

Then,
Airline: British Airways
Flight Number: BA1402
Aircraft: G-EUUZ (Airbus A320)
Seat: 27D

A long journey home with a 5 hour stop over at Heathrow - was originally only supposed to be a 95 minute stop when booked, but BA moved the flight from Prague to be 10 minutes later, meaning I would not have had enough connection time, so put me on the later flight. The transfer process was easy enough, even if the bus driver between T3 and T5 was a touch of a mad man! Paid for 2 hours in the Airport Lounge because I was bored of just wandering the airport by this point, cost me £40 :shock: The flights themselves were pleasant enough, and the LHR-MAN flight took just 34 minutes from Take-off to Landing.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”