Your last plane journey

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Your last plane journey

Post by orudge »

Flew on Thursday from Aberdeen to Heathrow on BA. A319 (G-EUPA, which I've been on once before it seems), seat 1A. Back today on G-EUPZ. All fine and good, on time, etc. Got lovely views of central London on the way down to Heathrow, and couldn't have asked for nicer weather over the past few days!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

EXTspotter wrote:Is this turning into the "I haven't been on an A380" thread? In that case, I have; During the summer after Air France recieved their first 2 or 3 and needed to train crews before operating them long haul, they did a load of training flights between Heathrow and Paris CDG. Flying in an A380 for a 30ish minute flight was strange but it was really cool.
It looks like my flight on Qatar Airways to Doha (en routes to the Maldives) in August is being swapped out for an A380 - my first A380 at last. :) Shame it'll only be in Economy! Also we're currently booked into seats 11B and 11C, which will now be business class seats, presumably. The web site won't let us adjust the seat allocation... might have to phone the airline I guess!

EDIT: Now got a pair of seats together on the upper deck, where the layout is 2-4-2 as opposed to the 3-4-3 on the main deck. Result. :)
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Woo! Congratulations!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Boo, Qatar's A380 deliveries have been delayed (allegedly because the colour they've been painted is slightly incorrect :roll:) until September at least. So my A380 has turned into an A340. It still has 2-4-2 seating though, which is nice, so we retain a pair of seats. Also, what was meant to be our return A340 flight was changed for a 777-300, which has 3-3-3 seating, except for two rows (row 17 and row 43, right at the back). By sheer coincidence, we were in row 17 on the previous plane, so we got the pair of seats. :)

Still sad that I won't get to go on an A380 yet though (missing out on the upper deck at that). I know, I know, first world problems, etc. ;)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Just back from my Holiday in Alcuida, on the island of Mallorca, here are my flights

Thursday 14th August:
Ryanair, FR 3441 Manchester to Palma de Mallorca, scheduled departure at 0610, actual departure at 0645 onboard Boeing 737-800 (all Ryanair operate) EI-DPJ

Today (Wednesday), 27th August:
Ryanair, FR 3446 Palma de Mallorca to Manchester, scheduled departure at 1045, actual departure at 1145 onboard Boeing 737-800 EI-EKM, nice bumpy ride on approach into Manchester, landing on Runway 05L
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

How's Ryanair these days? Not flown them in years.

My last flights. All in economy, sadly:

ABZ - LHR (BA A320)
Fine enough. An ex-bmi plane though I think, did feel a little more cramped than usual.

LHR - DOH (Qatar A340)
Nice airline, flight on time, plane was relatively ancient though - my seat was somewhat broken, which didn't help (kept reclining of its own accord, particularly during takeoff!). Slightly older in-flight entertainment system, but it was decent enough. If Qatar hadn't been grumpy about the paintwork on their A380 (or whatever the rumours were) then this would have been an A380, with us on the top deck - sad to not have been able to experience that. :(

Hamad International Airport, Doha
We had about an hour to change flights, which involved basically us running all the way - not so fun! Made the flight though (as did our bags).

DOH - MLE (Qatar A320)
Nice plane, seemingly brand new (or close enough). A couple were sat in our seats, didn't seem impressed when we asked them to move (we selected those seats in advance, so that's where we wanted to sit!). Good IFE system. They tried to serve dinner though (on a flight departing at 1am) rather than breakfast before we arrived, which I would have thought more logical. Flight arrived in the Maldives in good time, and we had a lovely time there!

MLE - DOH (Qatar A320)
Pretty much the same as the outbound journey, all very nice. Had much more time to make our connection in Doha, which was good - got some proper food and so on.

DOH - LHR (Qatar B773)
Flight was fine, a bit late departing (and consequently arriving). Much better plane than the outbound flight. Better IFE system, and an extremely good breakfast for economy class (also dinner, but I wasn't really hungry for that having eaten in the airport).

LHR - ABZ (BA A319)
Missed the T4-T5 transfer bus by about 5 seconds (stupid person being slow on the escalator and not moving, or perhaps stupid us for not taking the stairs instead), and then had to wait a good 15 minutes for the next one. Got through security and so on in T5 reasonably quickly though, and got onto our flight to Aberdeen in plenty of time. It ended up delayed by about half an hour due to bad weather or something, but eventually we got home.

Next flights will be ABZ - CDG and back on Air France (Régional) in October.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

orudge wrote:How's Ryanair these days? Not flown them in years.
They weren't bad at all. To me it didn't feel much different to the other times I've flown, just no IFE, but I can live without that on a 2 hour 30 min flight. Be nice to see if they add IFE if they go into the Transatlantic business.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

orudge wrote:my seat ...(kept reclining of its own accord, particularly during takeoff!).
This happens to me everytime I rev my car's engine to 6000 rpm and then pop the clutch. :mrgreen:
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Last plane Journey(s):

Saturaday:

LHR (Heathrow) T5 - Glasgow, British Airways Airbus A320 G-EUUH. Free brekkie on board. Nice.

Then return:
Glasgow - LHR T5, BA Airbus A320, G-EUU*. No fancy food this time round, although a couple of bags of Kent crisps.

Ironically, it was cheaper than easyJet!
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So this is a Future plane journey.

On Monday 2nd Feb I will be leaving Manchester for Berlin (Schönefeld) on EZY1897, and returning on Thursday 5th Feb to Liverpool on EZY7228. Really looking forward to this, and I will let you all know how it goes :D
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

21/01/2015
BM1374 (ABZ-MAN)
Embraer 145 (G-RJXM)
Seat 8A

First time flying bmi Regional since they gained their independence from bmi proper (RIP). Very nice, and included quite a good little snack box. Unfortunately, due to some kind of incident at Aberdeen, we were stuck on the plane for about half an hour before taking off, so we were into MAN a bit later than planned.

25/01/2015
BA1316 (LHR-ABZ)
Airbus A319 (G-EUPT)
Seat 5A

First time flying a BA domestic flight since 2012 when I've not been in seat 1A. :( Oh, I tell a lie, I was in 1F on an ABZ-LHR in November 2013 because somebody else had nabbed 1A before me. First time that I've not been in row 1, at any rate. Nae gold card any more (or indeed silver now, I'm just a lowly bronze).

Flight was fine enough though. Arrived a bit early, too!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

02/02/2015

EZY1897 (MAN-SXF)
Airbus A320 (G-EZWR)
Seat 14D

First time with EasyJet, seemed nice enough. Departed on time and arrived 15 minutes early, so I couldn't complain. Slight bit of Turbulence at points of the flight, but nothing major.

05/02/2015

EZY7228 (SXF-LPL)
Airbus A319 (G-EZAA)
Seat 14D

Tad bumper than the other flight, but again nothing major. Departed on time and arrived 20 minutes early. Interior of the Aircraft seemed to be much older than on the other Aircraft too, maybe it was one of EasyJet's first A319s.
Dave

Post by Dave »

EZY2157 London Luton - Amsterdam Schiphol on Monday. 0920 departure but didn't leave til 1020 - then we arrived at 1215 CEST.

EZY8878 Amsterdam Schiphol - London Gatwick today. 1715 departure but wheels left the tarmac at 1805 (and arrived at 1752 BST - TIME TRAVEL!)

Both flights very pleasing - took off, got a couple of beers, drank them, landed.

Luton is a very basic place, but Schiphol is truly vast.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

DK156 (Thomas Cook Airlines Scandinavia) from Mytilene, Greece to Stockholm Arlanda, Sweden. Departed 12:45 local and arrived 15:20 local (one hour difference), which was bang on time down to the minute.

Very crowded, as is the norm with these charter airlines. Not much leg room. Very nice staff, though, keeping the mood light.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Chrill wrote:DK156 (Thomas Cook Airlines Scandinavia) from Mytilene, Greece to Stockholm Arlanda, Sweden
Are you now an honorary Lesbian? :P
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Osaka Kansai. It's always fun flying from the west into Kansai (indeed, I've never flown into Tokyo; my first experience of flying out of it will be in a few weeks), since the flight is 90% Japanese and only 10% tourists, so you get an advance feel of Japan. The only non-Japanese on the flight appeared to be visiting friends or relatives rather than sightseeing. I suppose that it would be like a Japanese person flying into Manchester for a sightseeing run of Britain; it just wouldn't happen unless you had some reason specifically to go to Manchester over London.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

EXTspotter wrote:
Chrill wrote:DK156 (Thomas Cook Airlines Scandinavia) from Mytilene, Greece to Stockholm Arlanda, Sweden
Are you now an honorary Lesbian? :P
Most certainly, it is my second visit to the island :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
big_reagan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by big_reagan »

I flew from Indianapolis (IND) to Fort Myers (RSW) and back for spring break earlier this year. We flew on Southwest Airlines on a Boeing 737-300.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

300 ? isn't that an older one?

we flew from Luxembourg (LUX) to Rhodes (whatever) with Luxair on a 737-800 (wow so much "Headspace" in those 800s!)...row13...and back in row14 (emergency exit, yeah, i asked for, as i'm tall)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Phreeze wrote:300 ? isn't that an older one?

we flew from Luxembourg (LUX) to Rhodes (whatever) with Luxair on a 737-800 (wow so much "Headspace" in those 800s!)...row13...and back in row14 (emergency exit, yeah, i asked for, as i'm tall)
A quick Google reveals the 300 was delivered between 1984 and 1999. Southwest retrofitted their Boeing 737-800s in 2008 with new hardware, software and instruments. They are phasing them out but won't be done until 2020 :)
My Scenarios:

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”