Your last plane journey

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Your last plane journey

Post by JamieLei »

I want to see pictures!

Although without a massive f-off camera, I do know that the Aurora is notoriously difficult to photograph, having tried to do it myself once.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Dave wrote:... girl next to Kate grabbed her in fright ...
A proper gentleman would have been siting between Kate and the girl and woud have accepted the grabbing with a grin comforting smile. 8)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Neither girl laughed when I broached this subject, Wally!

Jamie, I only had a standard SLR and lens with tripod and got a few shots. My first time - so I was surprised, not badly, to discover the lights were not green and blue like the photos!

The tour guide was a proper disciple, he was no doubt doing it for the 800 millionth time but still had his (very pro) camera equipment with him.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

My most recent flights, this past weekend, were Sydney and back. Jetstar A320s, nothing too exciting, although I did get an exit row window seat on the way back (so legs! such responsible! wow!).

Last month I did BNE-SIN-DXB-VCE; VCE-DXB-BNE: went to the Venice Biennale. Emirates put an A380 on the route one week after I came back, so I still haven't been on one either. :(
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Dave wrote:Neither girl laughed when I broached this subject, Wally!
If it had been me, I would have been a useless screaming assembly of DNA and protoplasm, minus his lunch.
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Is this turning into the "I haven't been on an A380" thread? In that case, I have; During the summer after Air France recieved their first 2 or 3 and needed to train crews before operating them long haul, they did a load of training flights between Heathrow and Paris CDG. Flying in an A380 for a 30ish minute flight was strange but it was really cool.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

I am flying trans-Atlantic with AirCanada on Friday. Having never been on a long-haul flight before - what can I expect? The fact that I am in Economy, coupled with the fact I am a hugely pessimistic person, means I am expecting the worst!

What can I expect in terms of food, entertainment etc?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

22nd December - Edinburgh to Stansted
Today the return back on a particularly noisy and rattly A319 with an italian flag on it and a lot of orange (G-EZIW) - definitely one of the elder statesmen in the fleet, not that any are very old at all!

The half built new security at Stansted is an absolute mess at the minute and horrendously disorganised. They have automated gates to scan your boarding card and then a very large hall with no sort of queuing system which just led to disarray. Then seemingly a shift change happened as my bag was being scanned (it was in the scanner) and I had to wait further minutes from my 40 minute wait prior to having to remove my belt shoes and all. Rubbish, one can only hope they get a few tensabarriers and some staff to marshal the situation.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

SwissFan91 wrote:I am flying trans-Atlantic with AirCanada on Friday. Having never been on a long-haul flight before - what can I expect? The fact that I am in Economy, coupled with the fact I am a hugely pessimistic person, means I am expecting the worst!

Your pessimism will not be disappointed. If you have flown on other airlines, you have been spoiled. When flying over the Rockies, be sure to look out the window. The view is awesome and it will take your mind off of the other aspects of your flight. 8)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

SwissFan91 wrote:I am flying trans-Atlantic with AirCanada on Friday. Having never been on a long-haul flight before - what can I expect? The fact that I am in Economy, coupled with the fact I am a hugely pessimistic person, means I am expecting the worst!

You'll get a meal or two - they may or may not be edible. I seem to recall the entertainment system on Air Canada was pretty good, at least in 2010. Also had power sockets in economy. You could do worse!
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Sa. 25th Jan 10:10 London Heathrow [LHR] to Berlin Tegel [TXL] | British Airways A320 seat 6D

Mo. 27th Jan 19:40 Berlin Tegel [TXL] to London Heathrow [LHR] | British Airways A321 seat 1D

Flight home yesterday was briefly cancelled due to an electrical fault in the cabin with the avionics fans, the engineers were able to isolate the fault though and the flight did go ahead, leaving over an hour late.
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Club Europe? How'd you find it? Hope you got your Avios and TPs, if it was a paid flight. :)
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

orudge wrote:Club Europe? How'd you find it? Hope you got your Avios and TPs, if it was a paid flight. :)
Funded via my parent's Avios points :D was nice enough, leg room was more than decent given how tall I am. Seats no different to normal economy on those aircraft though unfortunately. Meals weren't too bad - a mixed meat plate on the way out, and a chicken salad on the way back. The complimentary drinks are always handy too :)
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

On January 6th 2014:
Vitoria, Aeroporto Eurico Sales (VIX) - Rio de Janeiro, Santos Dumont (SDU) with Gol G3-1635 - Airbus 319 if I remember correctly

And after a night on lovely Guanabara Windsor Palace hotel, January 7th 2014:
Rio de Janeiro, Aeroporto Jaquarapagua (SBJR) - Vessel Skandi Neptune (SNEP) with 1000702790/0420 (privately chartered by Petrobras), AW139 (yes, it is a helicopter)

Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Last did CMH-MSP-LAX-MEL

Was quite long...
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Stansted to Edinburgh yesterday, A319 I think - Easyjet, seat 3A. Was a nice enough journey.
Edinburgh back to Stansted today - another A319 and seat 3A again. Little bit bumpier but not bad all in all.
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

How crap is UK arrivals at Stansted at the minute? It's been bad for ages but the temporary set up is dire where you have to go outside the terminal and back in again to access any of the services. Not nearly as bad as the mess that is security though... Edinburgh is a much nicer air port
LaSeandre
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by LaSeandre »

My last journey by plane was Glasgow - Amsterdam - Montreal and return with KLM, back in December/January. I actually managed to get a ride on some of the MD-11s before they leave service later this year, and the flights to/from Amsterdam were usual KLM/Cityhopper European fare, with a 737 out and an Embraer 190 back.
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Ameecher wrote:How crap is UK arrivals at Stansted at the minute? It's been bad for ages but the temporary set up is dire where you have to go outside the terminal and back in again to access any of the services. Not nearly as bad as the mess that is security though... Edinburgh is a much nicer air port
Its still a mess but its better than it could be - mind you the security was really quick for me, although I only take 30 seconds to be through. EDI is a mess at the moment though, just one long concourse and gates 1 to 4 are all miles from the entrance. I did have a tour airside though on Thurs, as the crew took me around on the truck to avoid a queue.
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Yeah unless you are at gates 6 - 9 it's a long old trek. Just never fly by Flybe on one of their Q400 operated routes. Remote stands and a long bus ride to get there, rubbish.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”