Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:41 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2903 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1140 141 142 143 144146 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:24 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:57 pm
Posts: 1619
Location: Courbevoie, near Paris, France
Uh, how can you compare your Intercity trains to our highspeed trains ? It's something different.
Note that the entire UK is 242,000 km², while France is 643,000 km², so train journeys may be way shorter in UK than here. I only went once from London to York, and versa.

_________________
NewGRFs by Tony Pixel :
North American Passenger Railroads
Not Enough Subways


My screenshots


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:25 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:12 pm
Posts: 7009
Location: Adwick-Le-Street.
Pilot wrote:
Arch9enius wrote:
Still, it's quite a collection. Does any other TOC have a bigger one?

Yes, Northern have 11 types of ex-BR units (142, 144, 150, 153, 155, 158, 319, 321, 322 and 323), versus GWRs 6 types (143, 150, 153, 158, 165 and 166).


You forgot the 156 and 333...... :roll:

_________________
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:54 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 am
Posts: 3502
Location: West Java
acs121 wrote:
Uh, how can you compare your Intercity trains to our highspeed trains ? It's something different.
Note that the entire UK is 242,000 km², while France is 643,000 km², so train journeys may be way shorter in UK than here. I only went once from London to York, and versa.

That's the point. You don't need trains as fast as on the continent to "make it work" in the British Isles. 250 km/h (155 mph) is already a dream, the difference to 300 km/h (180 mph) is insubtstantial for UK distances.

If anything, the UK needs waay more trains. And if you haven't noticed, a Metro takes more passenger in an hour than an HSR at full train ("congested track") capacity.

_________________
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:55 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:36 pm
Posts: 1985
Location: Leeds, UK
acs121 wrote:
Uh, how can you compare your Intercity trains to our highspeed trains ? It's something different.
Note that the entire UK is 242,000 km², while France is 643,000 km², so train journeys may be way shorter in UK than here. I only went once from London to York, and versa.

It's a pretty valid comparison to make.. if you're travelling between major french cities/towns by rail then the tgv is realistically your only option, and if you're travelling between major cities/towns in the UK by rail then an intercity service is the only option.

I think Geneva to Paris is probably a bad example (not being on an lgv) but it was the route I travelled on, and they're both large & important cities, ones that I'd imagine would be connected by train more than once every 2 hours. Eg. London to York (a pretty small city) you'd have a choice of 3 or 4 trains an hour.

_________________
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:12 am 
Offline
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:48 pm
Posts: 7413
Location: Manchester
acs121 wrote:
Uh, how can you compare your Intercity trains to our highspeed trains ? It's something different.

If you actually look at some definitions of High Speed, existing/conventional lines capable of 125mph running (the speed the majority of our Intercity trains run at) is right at the Low end of what is considered to be High Speed.

Furthermore, many of our 125mph trains were actually designed to go quicker, the Pendolino's and IC225 were both designed for 140mph, however, running at these speeds was cancelled due to the lack of in-cab signalling. The IC225s have also reached, during test runs, 162mph, so they are no slouches, whilst our HSTs, diesel trains designed for just 125mph have hit 148mph, a record for diesel trains that is yet to be officially broken.

Construction of HS2 has already begun, in it's early phases (for example, work was done at Euston in preparation not so long back). When built, there is a likelihood that the Top Speed on it will be 250mph, and that will only cut an hour off the journey time from Manchester to London (currently 2hrs 8mins, post HS2 estimate 1hr 8mins). I would argue however, that HS2 is more about Capacity than speed itself.

---

Badger wrote:
You forgot the 156 and 333...... :roll:

I did forget the 156, however, I was under the impression that the 333s were post-BR era?

_________________
POTM August 2012 Joint Winner
My Screenshot Thread


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:32 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:31 pm
Posts: 6360
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Pilot wrote:
Badger wrote:
You forgot the 156 and 333...... :roll:

I did forget the 156, however, I was under the impression that the 333s were post-BR era?

Yes and no. BR Class 333 were built from 1999 - 2000, and started service in 2000.
British Rail privatisation was between 1994 & 1997. So the 333s did come in after that, however British Rail itself as a company didn't terminate until 2001. So technically... not? They were certainly never used by British Rail, at least.

_________________
Image
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:55 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:57 pm
Posts: 1619
Location: Courbevoie, near Paris, France
Pilot wrote:
acs121 wrote:
Uh, how can you compare your Intercity trains to our highspeed trains ? It's something different.

If you actually look at some definitions of High Speed, existing/conventional lines capable of 125mph running (the speed the majority of our Intercity trains run at) is right at the Low end of what is considered to be High Speed.

Furthermore, many of our 125mph trains were actually designed to go quicker, the Pendolino's and IC225 were both designed for 140mph, however, running at these speeds was cancelled due to the lack of in-cab signalling. The IC225s have also reached, during test runs, 162mph, so they are no slouches, whilst our HSTs, diesel trains designed for just 125mph have hit 148mph, a record for diesel trains that is yet to be officially broken.

Construction of HS2 has already begun, in it's early phases (for example, work was done at Euston in preparation not so long back). When built, there is a likelihood that the Top Speed on it will be 250mph, and that will only cut an hour off the journey time from Manchester to London (currently 2hrs 8mins, post HS2 estimate 1hr 8mins). I would argue however, that HS2 is more about Capacity than speed itself.


Did i even say they were slouches ? No.
You simply can't compare the HST services to the TGV, ICE, etc : trains run on classic line, speed isn't over 200km/h, used for regional service, and more of those reasons.

Note that on the LGV Est in France, most trains go at the (maybe fabulous) speed of 192mph.

Chris wrote:
acs121 wrote:
Uh, how can you compare your Intercity trains to our highspeed trains ? It's something different.
Note that the entire UK is 242,000 km², while France is 643,000 km², so train journeys may be way shorter in UK than here. I only went once from London to York, and versa.

It's a pretty valid comparison to make.. if you're travelling between major french cities/towns by rail then the tgv is realistically your only option, and if you're travelling between major cities/towns in the UK by rail then an intercity service is the only option.

I think Geneva to Paris is probably a bad example (not being on an lgv) but it was the route I travelled on, and they're both large & important cities, ones that I'd imagine would be connected by train more than once every 2 hours. Eg. London to York (a pretty small city) you'd have a choice of 3 or 4 trains an hour.


Paris to Geneva is on a LGV from Paris to Sathonay-Rilieux (north of Lyon), no further.
And for the London to York, those are inner-country relations, Paris to Geneva is international.
Plus, us tycooners know it, you shouldn't put too much trains on a line which no people take.

Also, in France, you have Intercity trains using 'Corail' cars. Those go from Paris to Lyon, Paris to Toulouse, and also go between big cities without passing by Paris, like Nantes to Bordeaux.

_________________
NewGRFs by Tony Pixel :
North American Passenger Railroads
Not Enough Subways


My screenshots


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:36 pm 
Offline
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:48 pm
Posts: 7413
Location: Manchester
acs121 wrote:
speed isn't over 200km/h.

You may wish to use Google before you say such a thing, otherwise, you look a little silly. 125mph is 201.168km/h (Google)

acs121 wrote:
Did i even say they were slouches ? No.

You were however, stating that our trains weren't high speed. These have done 168mph on conventional lines, that, by definition, is High Speed - as is 125mph on conventional lines. Wiki for HS Rail.

acs121 wrote:
Note that on the LGV Est in France, most trains go at the (maybe fabulous) speed of 192mph.

Good for your trains on the LGV Est, that only appear to run 8 carriage trains every 2 hours (I picked Strasbourg as an example on there). By comparison, we're running a 9-11 carriage 125mph train every 20 minutes between London and Manchester, so yes, your trains may be faster, but they're blooming useless to someone wanting to travel.

_________________
POTM August 2012 Joint Winner
My Screenshot Thread


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:06 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:57 pm
Posts: 1619
Location: Courbevoie, near Paris, France
201km/h, is, roughly 200km/h. I know what 125mph is, don't tell me i'm stupid.

Oh, and for the argument of 8 carriage trains every 2 hours...that's absolutely false.
Click here, and you will see that trains have an interval of about 20 minutes too. Note that this station is on the LGV Est.

_________________
NewGRFs by Tony Pixel :
North American Passenger Railroads
Not Enough Subways


My screenshots


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:06 pm 
Offline
Director
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:52 pm
Posts: 627
Location: Western Ile-de-France Region
acs121 wrote:
Oh, and for the argument of 8 carriage trains every 2 hours...that's absolutely false... Note that this station is on the LGV Est.


Well...

Pilot wrote:
Good for your trains on the LGV Est, that only appear to run 8 carriage trains every 2 hours (I picked Strasbourg as an example on there).


https://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/#/proposals/Paris/Strasbourg/2017-12-26/20:00/passengers:adult;26;1/class:Economy/direct:1
This shows a train between 6 and 7, 2 between 7 and 8 then one at half 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 15:20, 16, 17 18, 19, 19:20 and 20:30. 15 trains throughout the day. That's 1 every 1 hr 30. Not exactly astounding frequency.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:18 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:57 pm
Posts: 1619
Location: Courbevoie, near Paris, France
Still, we're not at the 2 hours that pretended Pilot.
Also, don't think the LGV Est was made only to go from Paris to Strasbourg. It was also made to go from Paris to Luxembourg, Paris to Remiremont...
For the HS2 line, it will be the same thing, not all trains taking the HS2 will be bound to Manchester.

As i said too, if there are 11-carriage trains every 20 minutes, that is because there is a need for it. We don't want to have a 20 minute interval with empty trains.

_________________
NewGRFs by Tony Pixel :
North American Passenger Railroads
Not Enough Subways


My screenshots


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:04 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:39 pm
Posts: 11889
Location: MK UK
Quit arguing. Some of us are trying to get drunk and eat cake like good Christmaslings.

Edit: Pilot, claiming that because we ran a train at 168mph a few times is a moot point. They run at 125mph. Otherwise you are comparing 168mph with 300mph because the french once did that with a TGV. In a dick swinging contest we definitely lose.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:20 am 
Offline
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:48 pm
Posts: 7413
Location: Manchester
Ameecher wrote:
like good Christmaslings

Christmas is over for me, back to work in the morning (probably why I'm a little grumpy) :cry: Enjoy your time off though :D

Ameecher wrote:
Edit: Pilot, claiming that because we ran a train at 168mph a few times is a moot point. They run at 125mph. Otherwise you are comparing 168mph with 300mph because the french once did that with a TGV. In a dick swinging contest we definitely lose.

Indeed, which is why I did ensure I said it was during a test run. Of course, we can always wonder what could have been if they had been allowed to do 140mph - would probably make paths harder to come by!

My point however was, that we do have High Speed trains, they just run on conventional lines, which is why the definition is slightly skewed.

Anyway, I agree with Ameecher, let's quit arguing, enjoy what remains of the Holiday period, and get this back on topic :)

_________________
POTM August 2012 Joint Winner
My Screenshot Thread


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:56 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:42 pm
Posts: 7428
Location: Stratford, London
Redirect Left wrote:
I believe Euston will host something on 25th December for the homeless, i'm not sure who funded it and how much involvement Network Rail had, assumably some though, as its their property.


It was organised by Network Rail in conjunction with St. Mungo's. Lots of NR volunteers too.

_________________
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:06 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:31 pm
Posts: 6360
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
JamieLei wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:
I believe Euston will host something on 25th December for the homeless, i'm not sure who funded it and how much involvement Network Rail had, assumably some though, as its their property.


It was organised by Network Rail in conjunction with St. Mungo's. Lots of NR volunteers too.

Ah. That's probably the only reason it happened then, and they wouldn't be open to others trying to use their spare space for it. I imagine there are a huge heap of sizeable stations left unused aside from some maintenance or freight trains passing platforms. That otherwise could have the foyers used as public spaces for homeless or for example the elderly who'd otherwise spend the day alone.
That's a shame, probably wouldn't be able to try a movement to do it across the country and lots of stations on XMas Day in the coming years.

_________________
Image
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:46 am 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:41 pm
Posts: 127
Location: Braila, Romania
OK, I had a Train Journey recently, so I'll tell you:
R 7372, 2 January 2018
From Galați to Brăila (the train went further to Făurei, and the car was linked to an other train and went to Constanța)
My mom was amazed when she saw that the train had a single car.
Attachment:
IMG_20180102_163031.jpg [5.12 MiB]
Not downloaded yet

Well, that car had 2 floors, the first one having 1st class service. The people with a ticket could sit wherever they wanted (we are talking about a Regio train).
Attachment:
File comment: From the first floor
IMG_20180102_163257.jpg [5.43 MiB]
Not downloaded yet

The train had plugs and A/C. I heard people on TV complaining that the trains are overcrowded or don't have A/C even on IRs (we don't have ICs because of the speeds), but this one was OK, like any other train journey I made. I remember that dad told me that when he was at faculty he was using every week the train to go home and to return to faculty, and there was no pretention for A/C... Anyway, the faculty students received from the government gratuitousness for train rides, maybe to forget the government's sins...
Attachment:
IMG_20180102_165644.jpg [4.95 MiB]
Not downloaded yet

The train was comfortable 8) . I enjoyed the ride. My geography teacher was in train also. I didn't know any other people in the train. The fire extinguisher was out of the warranty for a few days.

_________________
ⒶALEX
My screenshots (OpenTTD); what should I do?
I❤️OTTD


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:42 pm
Posts: 7428
Location: Stratford, London
It looks very nice! I wish that our regional trains were as comfortable as those!

_________________
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:12 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:31 pm
Posts: 6360
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Just gone to Huddersfield on the 0844 Wakefield Westgate to Huddersfield. A lacklustre 142.

Minor surprise at Kirkgate, greeted by a First Great Western liveried 180 instead of the usual Grand Central livery.

_________________
Image
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:35 pm
Posts: 3840
Skype: tommietomato1
Location: South London and Pembroke Dock.
Tried a 345 last weekend, along with an 800. Impressed with the 345, not so with an 800...... Inside it's virtually the same as a 395...

_________________
|flickr|Facebook|Steam|British Trainz Forum|UKTrainSim|UK Bus set for Locomotion|My OTTD Screenies|World of Trucks|
I have a self-confessed obsession the How To Train Your Dragon series.
Proud to have the most name-changes on this forum! More recently known as Aycliffe.
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:57 am 
Offline
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:48 pm
Posts: 7413
Location: Manchester
A couple of journey's from yesterday, where I headed to Derby for a meeting.

0742 Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield, via Stockport and the Hope Valley, on 158865 and 158777
0849 Sheffield to Derby on 222020
1116 Derby to Sheffield on 220023, despite all the delays in/around Derby due to issues further south, this appeared to be the only train that was actually on time, although we were still 8 minutes late at Sheffield, mainly due to awaiting a platform at Sheffield because of the other delayed trains.
1214 Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly via the Hope Valley, Marple and Belle Vue on 150117 - decided to take a slower, scenic train back, although the weather was pretty naff so didn't see much. I'd also been hoping for a Pacer, but that didn't turn up either.

_________________
POTM August 2012 Joint Winner
My Screenshot Thread


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2903 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1140 141 142 143 144146 Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000-2018 phpBB Limited

Copyright © Owen Rudge/The Transport Tycoon Forums 2001-2018.
Hosted by Zernebok Hosting.