Your Last Train Journey?

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Your Last Train Journey?

Post by Ameecher »

To the land of nod in a defunct Canadian national caboose that note serves as a hostel. Most odd.

Note I only found out about the beds being in a caboose after booking.
Attachments
IMG_20160608_172445.jpg
(4.19 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Good use for an old caboose!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Had a trip on a local service to Huddersfield from Wakefield, somewhat anyway.

Rather alarmingly, the driver kept both doors leading to the cab unlocked, at least for a good 5-6 minutes when the normal movement on the train over a junction slammed them shut.
Seems safety and security wasn't top of this guys list. This was the driving end too, train going in the direction of the picture.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Zooz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Zooz »

From Zagreb to Ljubljana. Took the last train in the evening at like 9pm, which turned out to be a tiny sleeper train. Two sleeping wagons and just one for sitting. Seems like most people were using it to travel long distances, not to get between these cities that are 2 hours from each other, even though it was the only train in the evening. People mostly seemed to get around by car there. I think that train was going to go all the way to Munich or something.

Also, in the morning the train on the same route in the other direction was an hour late... oh well

edit: whee, first post in over 8 years!
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Just now from Taksim to Kabataş on the funicular in Istanbul. Felt a bit weird as no one gets it down the hill!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

EXTspotter wrote:Felt a bit weird as no one gets it down the hill!
Why is that? Surely it's a pretty useless train if no one uses it both ways?
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

You can use it both ways but the distance isn't that long but it's really steep so walking down doesn't take much energy but walking up it is hell. I did it in the wrong order...
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Providence to Boston on the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA) commuter rail a couple months ago to visit my cousin who was in Boston for PAX east.

About 14 years ago I was on another MBTA commuter train and had to deboard and get on another one when a guy committed suicide by jumping on the track in front of us. I remember a woman asking why we had to wait there, and then to change trains. "Was the train damaged?" :roll:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So, I ended up on a few trains whilst I was down in London. I'm not gonna included any Tube trains as I completely forgot what they were, and didn't write them down in my Phone.

Thursday 7th July:
1011 Heathrow Terminal 5 to London Paddington on 332012 and 332008, first impression on getting on the Heathrow Express was that I was in first class.
1306 Royal Victoria to Canning Town on DLR trains 83 and 77
1311 Canning Town to Stratford International on DLR Trains 90 and 12
1330 Stratford International to London St Pancras on 395016, amazed at how fast this journey was, 6 minutes from end to end.
1714 City Thameslink to London St Pancras on 319217 and 319458, this service was 11 minutes late, so rather busy. One thing that I found very strange about City Thameslink is just how quiet it was, for a full station, I would have expected it to have been a lot louder.

Sunday 10th July:
1230 Elephant and Castle to Blackfriars on 319436
1317 Blackfriars to London St Pancras on 377502. Very spooky feeling when we stopped at City Thameslink, which was closed. I presume the stop was for the DC to AC swapover?
1540 London Paddington to Heathrow Terminal 5 on 332012
2110 Manchester Airport to Manchester Piccadilly on 323223, sounded like it was running a flat, but other than that, it was all good.
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Getting home from the meet, I myself encountered an Electrostar with a flat. SOU somewhat uninterested...

Getting home stopped off at Waterloo for dinner.

SWT 455x1 WAT-CLJ
SOU 377x2 CLJ-ECR

Arriva Optare EMC8 home
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Just got home from spending a weekend in Warrington with a friend. Got the late night TPE service to York. Going via Rochdale and Hebden Bridge (but not stopping between Manchester Victoria & Dewsbury). First time i've taken that train to Leeds. Rather scenic route instead of it going the usual way via Huddersfield. But a bit of a peculiar and cumbersome seeming route, i'm sure there's a good reason behind it though :p

19:19 from WARRINGTON CENTRAL to LEEDS - EMT 2x 158, rather pleasant train and journey. Aircon was pleasant :D
21:21 from LEEDS to WAKEFIELD WESTGATE - A Northern 322 full of drunken people, not a pleasant but thankfully short journey!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:19:19 from WARRINGTON CENTRAL to LEEDS - EMT 2x 158
Are you sure about that bit? Last I heard, EMT only ran a Liverpool to Norwich service via Sheffield and Nottingham, that called at Warrington Central.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Pilot wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:19:19 from WARRINGTON CENTRAL to LEEDS - EMT 2x 158
Are you sure about that bit? Last I heard, EMT only ran a Liverpool to Norwich service via Sheffield and Nottingham, that called at Warrington Central.
ugh, tired. Powered by Pro Plus over the past weekend :p My brain skipped a journey, probably wishful thinking as it was a bit of a long drawn out affair back to Wakefield.

Yeah my bad, it was Warrington Central to Manchester Piccadilly, then Piccadilly to Leeds. EMT 2x 158 to Piccadilly, then the very long routed TPE and then the aforementioned service to WKF.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Bamford to Edale and on to the pub.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Went out to Sheffield to meet up with a guy yesterday, here's the journeys!

1118 Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield on 185125 and 185106.
1911 Sheffield to Stockport on 185102. Minor issue on arrival to Stockport, someone had trespass on the line in the station area, so we were sat at Edgeley Jn No. 2 for 10 minutes before we were allowed into the station, by which point the culprit had 3 officers of the law pinning him to a wall.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Subway to the beach at Rockaway yesterday - A train from Canal St. to Broad Channel, transfer to a Rockaway Park Shuttle (with old actual route indicator H on the LCDs!) to Beach 98th Street.

Good food and Micheladas at 97th street concession, but was too hot even on the beach.

Took the Shuttle back to Rockaway Blvd., transfered to Manhattan bound A. Notable mishap at Broadway Junction - As train was halfway out of the station, tripcock was tripped(?) and emergency brake applied, leaving us immobilized. For obvious reasons, the train driver is unable to override the tripcock and proceed manually. After being stuck for about 20 minutes, the conductor manually keyed open doors on the rear half of the train to allow those of us lucky enough to be in the back to leave and transfer to the local C train. As no life threatening situation was present, it seemed he was not able to allow those in the front cars to egress through his cab to the exit in the rear.

First time in nearly 10 years of riding the subway that I've been on a train that had an emergency brake or possible SPAD...
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Lots of Stratford International - St Pancras - Blackfriars. Haven't had a 700 for a while now.
There's a train that I know is diagrammed as a 700, but it would require me to arrive 45 minutes late at work!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Had a few days off work (back today though :cry: ), so I ended up doing a little bit of midweek travelling that I wouldn't normally do.

Tuesday 30th August
0926 Manchester Piccadilly to Leeds on 185127, departed 4 minutes late from Manchester, and slightly busy, but no major issues.
1620 Leeds to Manchester Piccadilly on 185148, very busy as far as Huddersfield, a lot quieter afterwards, interestingly had the same conductor as I had had earlier in the day.

Wednesday 31st August
1650 Manchester Piccadilly to Llandudno, pulled by 67015 (rest of the consist was 12177, 12178, 12184 and 82308), was rather busy as it was short-formed (one carriage is currently undergoing maintenance for lighting issues) but this had eased by Newton-le-Willows. Police Incident at Rhyl with a passenger refusing to pay, so we lost 15 minutes there, arriving into Llandudno 13 minutes late (after a run down a rather green Llandudno Jn - Llandudno line! :x )
1934 Llandudno to Crewe, this time pushed by 67015. Not busy at all, and a nice run down the North Wales Coast. A lad got on at Prestatyn (can't have been more than 13/14), and gave the best excuse I've ever heard for not having a ticket: "My Mother told me it's free after 7" :lol: Fortunately enough for him, the conductor let him off after the earlier incident.
2123 Crewe to Manchester Piccadilly on 390119. Ran via Styal and Heald Green, it had left Euston 6 minutes late for what the conductor called "Additional Security Checks", and was 13 minutes down by the time it left Crewe. Ended up arriving 20 minutes late into Manchester as we were following an on-time Sheffield train from the Airport line, which was stopping at all stops into Manchester.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Venezia Mestre --> Verona Porta Nuova on the Frecciarossa. It was 4 minutes late on departure (despite only being 10 minutes from the start of the line in Venice) and 14 minutes late on arrival.

Been on about 6 journeys now in Italy. Only about half have departed on the minute they were supposed to, and none have arrived in the scheduled minute!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Bring back Mussolini!

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”