Your Last Train Journey?

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Your Last Train Journey?

Post by Ameecher »

Eurostar.
St Pancras to Bourg St Maurice.

First time on HS1 (well I've done Stratford to St P but that doesn't count) and I'm very impressed. Was a delight right up until we turned left at Lyon on to the local network.
The final two hours was a real stagger sat in passing loops to let a procession of TGVs and Thalys units to pass in the opposite direction.

I did feel sorry for some of the locals who got held at level crossing for well over half an hour as our very long train hung over the LC waiting for a path on the single line.

At least in the opposite direction the journey should appear faster but then we have to get out at Lille for customs purposes...

Still. Beats my last flying experience to the Alps and frankly all of the flying experiences.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Today's summary:
458/5x2 Twickenham-Waterloo
'72 stock Waterloo-Embankment

Crossed the Thames and walked around the Southbank a bit, enjoying London living. Then went to the shard and...

375x2 (one refurb and one non refurb) London Bridge-Waterloo East
458/5x2 Waterloo-Twickenham

Not much of interest, but engineering works caused the Gatwick Express to be calling at Clapham Junction and heading to Redhill. The new London Bridge station is brilliant, and I saw a 56 at Clapham Junction.
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Today’s trains:

South Western Railway 2x159 1027 Salisbury - Waterloo. The unit I was on had been recently refurbished so it was like sitting on a child’s booster seat.
Jubilee Line Waterloo - Canary Wharf
DLR South Quay - Limehouse - Tower Gateway
Jubilee Line London Bridge - Bond Street
Central Line Bond Street - Oxford Circus
Bakerloo Line Oxford Circus - Waterloo
South Western Railway 2x159 2215 Waterloo - Salisbury. Currently travelling.

Went up to London for the day to visit a friend and see Conchita Wurst in concert. She was fantastic! Left the venue at 2200 and legged it onto the tube and then onto the train at Waterloo and made it with 20 seconds to spare. Exhausted but glad we are nearly back and not on the last train (2335) which doesn’t arrive in Salisbury til 0130! It’s a school night!!!
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

You people who report their journeys while still on the train are making me look bad.

Visit to West Somerset Railways' Spring Gala SaT 24th March

Salisbury - Taunton via Westbury, about 7-ish
Showed up at Millstream car park in Salisbury with a bunch of £2 coin wearing a hole in my wallet, only to find parking charges had been waived. I guess the guys eho emptied the meters didn't want to catch polonium. Walked up Fisherton street, bought tickets and waited about 10min for the ride to Westbury on the usual 158s. One station, maybe a new one, (dilton Marsh?) had some platforms made of scaffold. Late into Westbury because of signalling problems. The information screens were also resembling what my ZX Spectrum did after it was left on too long. Maybe they are connected somehow?

Westbury - Taunton was on a refurbished GWR HST. It's a nice job, and a shame they'll be going soon. Exited Taunton station, and tried to find the bus stop for the 28 to Bishops' Lydyard. It was under the station overbridge, and when the bus in question showed it was already standing room only.

Boarded a 14xx + auto coach setup for the run out to Norton Fitzwarren, which is just a platform in the middle of a track maintainance depot by the look of it. On the return journey the train was worked ‘properly’ from the auto coach rather than just having the guard in the drivers’ cab manning the brake like they do at Didcot. Continued through to Crowcombe Heathfield then waited for the next Minehead-bound one as it was getting crowded. While it was waiting line to Minehead to clear, the ‘Auto-Tank’ was blowing off near constant, making me wonder if it would have anything left for the rest of the trip.

The rest of the journey was accomplished behind a ‘Hall’ or a ’Manor’, I’m not sure which. On arrival at Minehead I got straight on the train waiting for the return journey, which was double-headed by Panniers, led by one of the post-war type with the prominent smokebox. Steam heating was enabled, and leaking all over as is probably representative of what was. This was welcome as Spring Gala or not, there was still snow on the high ground.

Ditched at Washford to visit the Somerset & Dorset exhibit. This included an original First class four wheeler, and some model dioramas* including one that demonstrated that the western terminus of the line was as awkward as Templecombe.

Boarded the Bishops’ Lydyard train, hauled by 6046, a Baldwin S160, which was what I was there to see. Rode to Crowcombe where I got off and boarded the following train, hauled by a ‘Manor’ or ’Hall’. This was quicker, I ended up standing at the end of the last car watching people try to gain access to the toilet (The door was fouled by the basin?) but again the steam heating was plugged in, as evidenced by one compartment which had basically turned into a steam room. I guess they must only use it once or twice a year, and that’s when they find these things out.

Bishops’ Lydyard station has a small museum, the centrepiece of which is a Clerestory roofed sleeper coach used on the Irish boat trains to Fishguard.

The bus back was not as full. Taunton seems to host the remains of a 'Goods consolidating depot', I guess British Railways were not in the business of moving too much air around the country. I returned to Westbury on an unrefitted HST which had to wait outside the station for the connecting train to Bristol to clear the platform, owing to a points failure.

The wait here was enlivened by an announcement that the train approaching platform one would not be stopping and to stand away from the edge of Platform One. Despite being on Platform 2/3 I decided that the best place to stand would have been in the underpass as Platform One was occupied by an SWR 158 or 9 in the new livery that makes it look like a boiled sweet. However the approaching train was a Sprinter that stopped on Platform three and disgorged loud singing people from some sports event or other. I later found out the SWR units were waiting to form the train to Cheltenham, either later or the next morning. This was a new one on me, although I was aware a Bristol service operated to Waterloo and had returned to Salisbury on it before. This time I returned to Salisbury on the GWR service.

Would recommend the WSR, which goes past sea, large demolition sites, a small port and folows a river for a bit. It's Longer than the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway though, so leaVE time for a 2 hour or so trip each way.. Will proably visit again , might even leave the station at Minehead next time...

"Why don't we just load her up like one of those little horses?"
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So, I did a bit of travelling around Greater Manchester on Sunday.

0940 Manchester Piccadilly to Wigan North Western on 350402. Departed from Platform 13, and ran wrong road most of the way to Oxford Road before arriving into Platform 2 there. Únit was the last 350/4 that I needed to travel on too!
1036 Wigan Wallgate to Manchester Oxford Road on 150114 and 142056. Due to possessions on the usual route via Ince (related to the electrification of the line through Bolton), these services were being diverted via Wigan Station Jn, Golborne Jn and Chat Moss. Also saw a Pendolino on an ECS via Chat Moss during this journey, which was a little odd.
1112 Manchester Oxford Road to Manchester Piccadilly on 319424. This service was due to depart Oxford Road before the previous service, however, was unable to and so departed late.
1125 Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Oxford Road on 323237. First time I've seen a 323 on that section for a long time, so it had to be done!
1155 Manchester Oxford Road to Manchester Victoria on 150143.
1240 Manchester Victoria to Manchester Oxford Road on 158795 and 158844.
1255 Manchester Oxford Road to Manchester Piccadilly on 156421 and 156466
1307 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport on 220010 - Service that was running to Paignton stopping at other British Holiday places such as Dawlish, this single 4-car Voyager was very busy and ill-suited to the service.
1317 Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly on 220028.
1355 Manchester Piccadilly to Wigan Wallgate on 142001 and 150104. Running via Chat Moss and Wigan Station Jn again.
1436 Wigan Wallgate to Altrincham on 142009 and 142027. Again, running via Wigan Station Jn and Chat Moss.
1555 Altrincham to Deansgate-Castlefield on M5000s 3037 and 3008. Departed from Platform 2 at Altrincham, which is rarely used by Metrolink services.
1627 Deansgate to Manchester Oxford Road on 156461 and 156424.
1639 Manchester Oxford Road to Deansgate on 150124 and 150273.
1707 Deansgate-Castlefield to Manchester Victoria on M5000 3086, via the Second City Crossing.
1716 Manchester Victoria to Shudehill on M5000 3080. Had attempted to walk through the tram as both sides of doors open at Victoria, unfortunately, the doors were locked before I could get out the other side, so an unexpected ride to Shudehill happened.
1720 Shudehill to Manchester Victoria on M5000 3058
1726 Manchester Victoria to Deansgate-Castlefield on M5000 3069, via the Second City Crossing.
1757 Deansgate to Rochdale on 158906. The paths for these services don't appear to be well optimised, as they sit at Victoria for around 15 minutes.
1838 Rochdale Railway Station to Rochdale Town Centre on M5000 3051.
1850 Rochdale Town Centre to Shaw and Crompton on M5000 3051.
LaRoso
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaRoso »

I took the IC 2 between Köln and Dortmund, Germany (beautiful train imo)Image
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

Is that the Driving Trailer? And if so what's on the other end?

LaRoso
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaRoso »

Arch9enius wrote:Is that the Driving Trailer? And if so what's on the other end?
To answer your questions
Attachments
auf-fahrt-nach-emden-verlaesst-584038.jpg
auf-fahrt-nach-emden-verlaesst-584038.jpg (74.82 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

Cheers.

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So, just gotten back home after a long day of travelling, picking up routes I hadn't travelled on before, so here's a quick summary of that before I go to sleep.

0930 Rochdale to Leeds on 158861. Ran, as usual for these services, via Bradford Interchange.
1048 Leeds to York on 185124
1136 York to Darlington, hauled by 91128. My first run north of York on the ECML.
1232 Darlington to Saltburn on 142066. Again, more new trackage for me, and a decent pie was gotten from the Farmer's market in Saltburn.
1357 Saltburn to Bishop Auckland on 142071. I believe this is the last Northern pacer I needed to see before today, so happy to have gotten it in. Also, Bishop Auckland... awful place!
1623 Bishop Auckland to Middlesbrough on 142050.
1740 Middlesbrough to Whitby on 156423. Yet another new route (at least as far as Grosmont), quiet train.
1918 Whitby to Middlesbrough on 156423 again. What can only be described as the party train.
2052 Middlesbrough to York on 185130. Full of 'Boro and Villa fans on their way home.
2228 York to Manchester Piccadilly on 185136 and 185130. After terminating at York 185130 awaited the arrival of the other unit, before coupling for the run to Manchester. Quiet train (at least in the unit I was in); ran via Milford Jn, Castleford, Woodlesford, Leeds (reverse) and then usual TPE route to MAN.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Ha, I only went to Bishop Auckland for the first time recently too (one of the few bits of Northern's I'd never been on).
I concur, it is a dump. You made the same error as I by not getting the train straight back out :lol:
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Glad to see I'm not the only person who made that mistake. At least the Wetherspoon's there was decent :mrgreen:

EDIT: Oh, and a journey from Sunday, this random steam loco from Bury Bolton Street to Heywood and back.
20180513_105002.jpg
(3.89 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

Pilot wrote:Glad to see I'm not the only person who made that mistake. At least the Wetherspoon's there was decent :mrgreen:

EDIT: Oh, and a journey from Sunday, this random steam loco from Bury Bolton Street to Heywood and back.
20180513_105002.jpg
Hmm, 60103, rings a bell.

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So, another day travelling completed for me. Picking up some North West routes that I haven't travelled over before.

0915 Manchester Piccadilly to Preston on 350401. This service ran rather slowly most the way to Preston.
1008 Preston to Ormskirk on 142028. Second time in about a week where I've been stopped across a Level Crossing to allow a token exchange to take place.
1041 Ormskirk to Preston on 142028.
1141 Preston to Lancaster on 390104.
1226 Lancaster to Heysham Port on 144023. This 3-car 144 looked a little too large for the amount of passengers. Apparently it was also the last the through service from Leeds to Heysham (which to be fair, doesn't need a through service IMO - probably quicker to connect via Preston!)
1315 Heysham Port to Lancaster on 144023.
1400 Lancaster to Preston on 221109 and 221112.
1504 Preston to Colne on 142048.
1621 Colne to Blackburn on 142048.
1725 Blackburn to Clitheroe on 150274. Got to see the Northern Belle just after Daisyfield Jn.
1803 Clitheroe to Manchester Victoria on 150274.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Double post, naughty me!

Just gotten back from Scotland, where I had been for SRPS' Routes and Branches railtour, from Bo'ness. Journey's are shown below.

Friday 1st June
0932 Manchester Victoria to York on 185142. Originally, I had been booked on a later train, however, due to the railtours departure being brought forwards by roughly 2 hours, I ended up on the first off-peak train (fortunately the tickets were off-peaks and not advances!)
1135 York to Edinburgh Waverley, hauled by 91130. Busy train, what with being the first northbound off-peak off London. Managed to get a seat so I could work on the way north at least!
1434 Edinburgh Waverley to Linlithgow on 170410.
1735 Bo'ness to Manuel hauled by 37703 (carrying 37067) with 86401 and 37025 dead in tow. Heck of a slow run between the two, but a nice one also.
1824 Manuel to Edinburgh Waverley hauled by 37025. Sat on the connection between the Bo'ness & Kinneil for a while to let trains pass, then also went into Linlithgow loop to let another pass.
1948 Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Queen Street High Level, hauled by 86401, via Falkirk High.
2128 Glasgow Queen Street HL to Ayr, hauled by 37025, via the City Union. 37025 was certainly struggling up the hill out of Queen Street, but made for a rather nice noise in the tunnel.
2305 Ayr to Largs, hauled by 86401, via the Byrehill Jn - Dubbs Jn curve.

Saturday 2nd June
0007 Largs to Glasgow Central HL, hauled by 37025. Due to a last minute possession being taken on part of our scheduled route, the train was diverted into Glasgow Central.
0125 (unscheduled) Glasgow Central HL to Larkhall, hauled by 86401, via Mount Florida. Due to the late running caused by the unscheduled reversal at Glasgow Central, the train was diverted to run via Mount Florida. There was then further delay at Haughead Junction after not originally being routed to Larkhall due to signallers concern that we wouldn't fit inside the signal. A lenghty argument then ensued, which was apparently resolved by sending the signaller some pictures of a similar length train there. However, on arrival at Larkhall, it was found we didn't actually fit! I'm sure we pleased the signaller and other members of staff greatly :lol:
0148 Larkhall to Haughead Jn, hauled by 37025. Due to the late running, roughly an hour down by this point, the run to/from Glasgow Central via the Cathcart Circle was cut, and we reversed at Haughead Jn, to pick up the schedule from there (briefly).
0304 Haughead Jn to Cumbernauld (Main line at the reversing siding), hauled by 86401. Due to the need to turn the train around again following the unscheduled reversal and an upcoming diesel section, a decision was made to run the train to Cumbernauld and reverse there.
0343 (unscheduled) Cumbernauld to Balloch, hauled by 37025 via Springburn, Maryhill and Westerton.
0422 Balloch to Dumbarton Central, hauled by 86401.
0442 Dumbarton Central to Helensburgh Central, hauled by 37025.
0520 Helensburgh Central to Edinburgh Waverley, hauled by 86401, via Yoker, Glasgow Queen Street Low Level and Airdrie. Both occasions where I've been over the Airdrie-Bathgate route, I've been asleep!
0810 Edinburgh Waverley to North Berwick, hauled by 86401. Due to the scheduled 1 hour stop at Edinburgh, we were able to eliminate our delay, however, this meant the toilets (several of which were already out of use due to lack of water) could not be completely refilled, so we soon ran out of water again! This was also the last action of the 86 on the tour.
0848 North Berwick to Millerhill, hauled by 37025. At Millerhill, 86401 was swapped out, with 37403 coupled on. It was also a great opportunity to see lots of brand new Class 385s, sitting in the sidings, awaiting modifications to their cab windows.
0945 Millerhill to Leith Docks/South, hauled by 37025 via Edinburgh Waverley and the Edinburgh Suburban. The Leith Docks branch was the full of several trees growing out of control close to the line, which could really do with a cutting back! They scratched the train rather severely!
1130 Leith Docks/South to Townhill Down Goods Loop, hauled by 37403 via the Edinburgh Suburban and Rosyth.
1250 Townhill Down Goods Loop to Mossend Up Reception, hauled by 37025 via the Inverkeithing North Curve, Kirkcaldy Loop, Dunfermline Town, Longannet, Stirling, Croy, Cowlairs North Curve, Anniesland, Glasgow Queen Street Low Level and Sunnyside Jn. Where to start with this part of the railtour... Left the loop at Townhill about 8 minutes late due to what I can only assume was a late running passenger, we were then held in Kirkcaldy Loop to let a train pass (this was scheduled, so no compliants). On returning to Dunfermline after doing the Fife Circle, we were held just outside Dunfermline Town station for roughly an hour due to a broken down train at North Queensferry. On the Longannet route, there were several people happy to see a train (it no longer gets regular train I believe?) on there, with video camera's and many of folk waving. Due to the delay earlier in the schedule, we were diverted via Croy and Cowlairs North Curve instead of the original routing via Cumbernauld. Other trains were regulated around us (I know regulating around a Railtour, rare thing!) and allowed us to recover 20 minutes, however, that was ruined by the signaller at Maryhill, who attempted to route us towards Westerton. We stopped just past the (green) signal after some very heavy braking, to get the route changed, and had to set back to allow the signaller to do so, and allow a 156 off the Anniesland route, so lost another 20 minutes. Trains were continued to be regulated around us however, and it was plain sailing to Mossend then. I was disappointed we didn't set the fire alarm at Glasgow Queen Street Low Level off when departing from our stop though!
1800 Mossend Up Reception to Glasgow Central, hauled by 37403, via Carmyle. After a shunting move to remove 3 carriages that took 10 minutes later than scheduled, we left Mossend 67 minutes late. I left the train at Glasgow Central due to being rather tired at this point, whilst the train carried on to Neilston before returning to Bo'ness (eventually arriving 30 late). There was a rather large number of Ed Sheeran fans and a TV news crew who were confused by the arrival of this train at Central, several of whom tried to board the train.
2018 Glasgow Queen Street High Level to Larbert on 158703 and 158733.

Sunday 3rd June
1008 Falkirk Grahamston to Edinburgh Waverley on 158703 and 170470.
1100 Edinburgh Waverley to York on 91110. Paid £15 for the weekend First Class upgrade deal, which included free drinks, biscuits, crisps and sandwiches, was certainly worth it for the comfier, larger seats! Far better than the West Coast's offering!
1509 York to Leeds on 185126. One of the last two 185s I needed for travelling, I now only need 185145. Bailed at Leeds as it was rather busy.
1553 Leeds to Manchester Piccadilly on 185121. The stopping TPE service, rather quiet until Huddersfield, and then Stalybridge. Stopped outside Morley for a few minutes due to reports of a Trespasser, then again at Mirfield for the same reason.

All in all, a busy, chaotic, tiring couple of days. However, they were very much enjoyed! Total mileage covered was 1,155 with 544 miles of them being on the railtour itself.
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

Pilot wrote: 0125 (unscheduled) Glasgow Central HL to Larkhall, hauled by 86401, via Mount Florida.
I've heard of Strata Florida. Have to look this one up.
Pilot wrote: 0810 Edinburgh Waverley to North Berwick, hauled by 86401. Due to the scheduled 1 hour stop at Edinburgh, we were able to eliminate our delay, however, this meant the toilets (several of which were already out of use due to lack of water) could not be completely refilled, so we soon ran out of water again!
At least the toilet doors opened.
Pilot wrote: 0945 Millerhill to Leith Docks/South, hauled by 37025 via Edinburgh Waverley and the Edinburgh Suburban. The Leith Docks branch was the full of several trees growing out of control close to the line, which could really do with a cutting back! They scratched the train rather severely!
Network Rail has been cutting down a lot of trees lately. People are complaining of course.
Pilot wrote: There was a rather large number of Ed Sheeran fans
I've changed my mind about what to do to such people following the whole thing in Manchester. They just need turning on to some decent tunes, by violent hazing if possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sMEGv8Nr6c

Edit: The stopping 'Trans Pennine Express'. Somebody throw the biggest dictionary they can find at whoever thought that up..

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Arch9enius wrote:
Pilot wrote: 0810 Edinburgh Waverley to North Berwick, hauled by 86401. Due to the scheduled 1 hour stop at Edinburgh, we were able to eliminate our delay, however, this meant the toilets (several of which were already out of use due to lack of water) could not be completely refilled, so we soon ran out of water again!
At least the toilet doors opened.
The didn't; they were locked out of use.
Arch9enius wrote:
Pilot wrote: 0945 Millerhill to Leith Docks/South, hauled by 37025 via Edinburgh Waverley and the Edinburgh Suburban. The Leith Docks branch was the full of several trees growing out of control close to the line, which could really do with a cutting back! They scratched the train rather severely!
Network Rail has been cutting down a lot of trees lately. People are complaining of course.
Aye, so I've read and also observed. I very much doubt the Leith Docks/South branch will get the treatment however. Very rarely used, and what does use it is all freight, travelling at slow speed - if our Railtour is anything to go by, you're probably averaging about 5mph on the route.

That being said, on the whole moaning about trees being cut, some people are a touch silly. They moan about delays caused by leaves on the line, then moan when NR are trying to do something to resolve it!
Arch9enius wrote:Edit: The stopping 'Trans Pennine Express'. Somebody throw the biggest dictionary they can find at whoever thought that up..
Well, it stops at less places than the previous Northern stopping services on the route, and allows TPE an extra tph between Leeds and Manchester, so I guess it's more Express than before! That being said, it was weird being on a TPE train that stopped at the likes of Morley, Ravensthorpe, Mirfield and Marsden!
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

Pilot wrote:
That being said, on the whole moaning about trees being cut, some people are a touch silly. They moan about delays caused by leaves on the line, then moan when NR are trying to do something to resolve it!
It might be more to do with the way they affect earthworks - eg sucking up groundwater rapidly, thus causing the ground to shrink. Mature oaks also drop branches like NATO drops bombs, and do nothing to suck up CO2.

Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

A couple of weekends back , (20th May 2018) Salisbury to Ryde St.Johns and back.

0820 Salisbury to St. Denys, on an SWR two-car 158 that does the circular service around Southampton. There's another goes the other way too. It got to St. Denys at 0910-ish after waiting a bit at Southampton Central. Indistinct Graffiti literally on the platform read 'THEY'VE GOT MONEY FOR DUP* AND WAR BU-'. The writer was either interrupted by the BTP or more likely his train arriving.

0941 St. Denys - Fratton on the SWR stopping service to Portsmouth and Southsea. Usually I would be travelling direct on the GWR service, but it would be stuck behind this one anyway. Was told to change at Fratton as the Portsmouth Harbour service was 5 min behind.. I could have sworn it was 20 min when I researched the trip. There's fuelling and washing facilities here, and it seems to fuel SWTs' Diesel units, it surely would make more sense to do that at Salisbury depot. How much Diesel do these things hold anyway?

10:47 (20 minutes later) Southern Service the rest of the way to Portsmouth Harbour. I suppose the change at Fratton rather than Portsmouth and Southsea meant that there was no climbing a bunch of stairs for those of us with luggage. and at least Southern line their seats up with the windows, mostly. There was a 10 min or so wait for the catamaran to Ryde , but the GWR and SWR services usually missed the boat when they were timed to meet dead on, so/...

The 1938 stock at Ryde Harbour was wearing a fresh coat of red paint with 'South Western Railway' on the side in white. At St. Johns it crossed with another also with fairly new paint but with no logo. With another likewise in the yard and one shabbier unit out on service that could mean there were 4 trains in working order (the other two in the yard definately were not).

Spent the day riding around the island to such places as the Pell Estate on old buses. No oddities like a rear entrance Parisian bus this year though.

The Isle of Wight Steam Railway recently aqquired an Ivatt tank from the British Railways era under the pretext the Islands' original network was due to receive some before closure intervened, now it appears they have another and will also be getting a tender version in as well. However, I rode between Wooton and SmaLLbrook Junction behind one of the two Hunslet 'Austerity' tanks, 'Royal Engineer', which was in bits last time I saw it.

Smallbrook Junction - Ryde Pier Head on the same pair of units I rode in on. At Smallbrook Junction can be seen the only bit of welded rail anywhere on the island. Installing this throughout might save a bit of wear and tear on the 1938 stock, as well as on peoples' spines. (The seats have deep cushions maybe meant to compensate for a lack of springs.) However, SWR maintains its' own track on the island, and regular automated track machinery might have to be trucked across Ryde as there could be clearance problems through the tunnel underneath. Fans of jointed track can enjoy the faster stretches to the south of Smallbrook Junction for the time being. Take your false teeth out.

The weather on the trip back across the Solent was clear, unless one looked at Southampton or Pompey, where it was clear the inhabitants don't trust the air unless they can see it. The train from Waterloo arrived at Portsmouth Harbour with a window out, I guess there must have been football somewhere. Travelled back to St. Denys on one of the suburban units. The two 158s on the circular service arrived simultaneously (I use the search bar to check spelling, so that could be a common mispelling for al I know..), I boarded the one going via Southampton Central, as I'm not sure my ticket would have allowed me to go via Eastleigh then change at Romsey.

* I don’t think it referred to the other shower of b****** because of the neighbourhood.

EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Yesterday
1148 Munich Hbf - Salzburg Hbf
Meridian (Bayerische Oberlandbahn)
Stadler FLIRT3

First time on a German train operating between cities. We bought a Bayernpass which was fantastic value. Service was made up of three units; the whole train operated to Rosenheim where the rear unit continued to Kufstein and the front two to Salzburg. It was full of people heading to the countryside for the weekend with luggage, mountain bikes, etc. But the train still felt quite spacious. There was also something resembling a stag party on board who had 3 crates of beers (72?) for the hour long trip they took. They were really loud and annoying a lot of the other passengers. I was hung over from a friend’s wedding with a free bar the previous day so I also wasn’t best pleased. When they got off, the guard made an announcement in German and everyone started laughing and applauding. The first time I’ve ever seen Germans laugh or show joy of any type in public.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”